Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Posts 451 to 465 of 465

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by w3stie View Post
    Thanks Jack, I'm also working through for the second time, but I'm taking pains to do everything he suggests, e.g. writing everything out, transposing etc. Just plodding through at the moment and not worrying if things don't make perfect sense. Except for these typos! I'll keep on posting here if I hit a snag or get a bright idea :/

Rob
    I admire your self-discipline. This is my 3rd time through the 1st half and I'm still not doing it as Baker suggests. Coincidentally, I happen to be on Lesson 16 which is why I jumped on your question. I'm going to take a crack at applying this stuff to some standards as per Lesson 17. Frank Pratte (a forum regular) made a video using MB's chord substitutions on "All of Me." If you haven't seen it just do a search on YouTube for Frank Pratte. It was very helpful see to someone actually apply these concepts to a real song. Now I just need to buckle down and try it myself.

As far as the 2nd half of the book goes I never got past lesson 30. (Standard notation is a struggle for me). I set some goals for August. One of those is to complete lesson 34 by the end of the month while reviewing the 1st half. Half the month has gone by and I haven't even started. I need to get moving and learn some "Hot" guitar.

BTW, every time I go through the book things make more and more sense. The pieces of the puzzle are slowly coming together.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue View Post
    I admire your self-discipline. This is my 3rd time through the 1st half and I'm still not doing it as Baker suggests. Coincidentally, I happen to be on Lesson 16 which is why I jumped on your question. I'm going to take a crack at applying this stuff to some standards as per Lesson 17. Frank Pratte (a forum regular) made a video using MB's chord substitutions on "All of Me." If you haven't seen it just do a search on YouTube for Frank Pratte. It was very helpful see to someone actually apply these concepts to a real song. Now I just need to buckle down and try it myself.

As far as the 2nd half of the book goes I never got past lesson 30. (Standard notation is a struggle for me). I set some goals for August. One of those is to complete lesson 34 by the end of the month while reviewing the 1st half. Half the month has gone by and I haven't even started. I need to get moving and learn some "Hot" guitar.

BTW, every time I go through the book things make more and more sense. The pieces of the puzzle are slowly coming together.
    I'm determined to finish this book. I realised when we had a clean out recently that I have never finished an instruction book or method book, and I had quite a few. So I picked on this one and decided to finish it however long it takes. I find if I get stuck on something, I can always ask someone like on this forum, or put it aside for later. I read a good quote from Wes Montgomery, which I have printed out and stuck to my music stand. He says

"When you find guitar players who are playing, you'll find that at one time they never cared if they never played, they were going to keep on until they did. After a period of time, the beginning player will hear a little difference in his playing, and that little inspiration is enough to go further, and the first thing you know you won't back out. The biggest problem is getting started." (emphasis mine)

So I just keep on getting started. For now at least

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    Somewhere around here I found a link to a pdf correcting errors in Mickey's book.

That ringing a bell with anyone?

I can't find it just now.
    I have a copy of that pdf somewhere I will try and dig it out. I know I have it on a disc someplace. Age affecting memory the usual story.!
    I remember there were quite a few errors listed. Back when I've located it.

User Info Menu

Would be nice to have an erratta sheet in our books.

User Info Menu

Anyone have this on Kindle?

I have the book. Had it for years and it's a little worse for wear. Not that I'll get rid of it. But---because it's such a cheap book---I thought I might buy another copy and work through it again.

Then I saw the price for the Kindle version was under 7 bucks (US). I haven't bought any music books on Kindle. Thought the screen would be too small for practical use on a music stand. But someone gave me a Tablet recently and that's a larger screen; who knows? I don't, obviously, but I suspect someone around here does... ;o)
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goinbaroke View Post
    Would be nice to have an errata sheet in our books.
    Here we go boys and girls the Errata for Mickey Baker Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cabbycabbage; 08-25-2018 at 02:40 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbycabbage View Post
    Here we go boys and girls the Errata for Mickey Baker Enjoy!
    Thanks very much for that, very useful and will save a lot of head scratching! I think I can add another one to the already extensive list though. As discussed earlier in this thread, page 16 six lines down second measure, I think the Cmi7 should be a Gmi7 using Mickey's chord 18.

Thanks again

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by w3stie View Post
    Thanks very much for that, very useful and will save a lot of head scratching! I think I can add another one to the already extensive list though. As discussed earlier in this thread, page 16 six lines down second measure, I think the Cmi7 should be a Gmi7 using Mickey's chord 18.

Thanks again
    You're welcome anything to make life easier!!
    Agree with you on the Cmi7 - Gmi7 debate! Same fingering pattern used on the same page third line down bar three over the G7 makes sense to me.

User Info Menu

can you imagine if mickey was writing this book like “they’re going to love this. nothing too spicey until chapter 16 then WHAM i hit them with a cmi7!” kidding of course
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

Thanks for this, just what we needed!!

User Info Menu

just bought the book, god help me

lol

User Info Menu

hello, (sleepy?) study group!
    i got my hands on MB book, read the thread and am excited to join you. i play guitar for quite a long time, but did not rise from power/barre/cowboy and light soli on the pentatonic scale.
    but i dig jazz and wanted to learn it on the guitar, so here i am.

i jumped right into it and started with lesson 1, learning the chords.
    as stated, i bought music paper and transcripted (is this the right word?) the tabs.

right off the bat i get confused, as i dont have much knowledge about theory either.
    the Am7 chord consists of the root, a minor 3rd, perfect fifth and a minor 7th.
    the Am6 chord consists of the root, a minor 3rd, perfect fifth and a major 6th
    my question is twofold:
    a) why does the 7 chord add a minor 7th while the 6 chord adds a major 6th? is this "given"?
    b) do i have to know how and why chords are constructed to grind through the book?

if b) is recommended does someone have a link/book recommendation to learn this kind of stuff in an intuitive way? the internet is full of information of questionable quality, so im overwhelmed where to look
    EDIT: I will have a look at jazzguitar.be own course on "Jazz Guitar Chord Theory". I would appreciate recommendations for a nice "theory" book or site nonetheless.

thanks in advance
    Last edited by telerocka; 09-18-2019 at 08:20 AM.

User Info Menu

For those who may be interested, Tommy Harkenrider offers a Mickey Baker course via monthly subscription. I don't know anything about how it is structured, but he seems to be very prompt in responding to questions.

Mickey Baker Monthly Subscription | Tommy Harkenrider Blues & Roots

Contact | Tommy Harkenrider Blues & Roots
    "Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." (Arthur Ashe)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by telerocka View Post
    i got my hands on MB book, read the thread and am excited to join you. i play guitar for quite a long time, but did not rise from power/barre/cowboy and light soli on the pentatonic scale.

as stated, i bought music paper and transcripted (is this the right word?) the tabs.

right off the bat i get confused, as i dont have much knowledge about theory either.
    the Am7 chord consists of the root, a minor 3rd, perfect fifth and a minor 7th.
    the Am6 chord consists of the root, a minor 3rd, perfect fifth and a major 6th
    my question is twofold:
    a) why does the 7 chord add a minor 7th while the 6 chord adds a major 6th? is this "given"?
    b) do i have to know how and why chords are constructed to grind through the book?

if b) is recommended does someone have a link/book recommendation to learn this kind of stuff in an intuitive way? the internet is full of information of questionable quality, so im overwhelmed where to look

thanks in advance
    Yes a jazz theory book will help you. I recommend Berklee Press materials.

Instrumental study and theory/harmony are separate topics. Learning them together is possible, but inefficient.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by telerocka View Post

EDIT: I will have a look at jazzguitar.be own course on "Jazz Guitar Chord Theory". I would appreciate recommendations for a nice "theory" book or site nonetheless.

thanks in advance
    That section of the MB book is mainly about chords and progressions in G major, as I recall. In the key of G Maj the 6th of A would be F#.
    Think of it as (Am)+6. You are thinking A+(min6)
    In Gmaj your A chords will be built with A1 B2 C3 D4 E5 F#6 G7