The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 531

User Info Menu

I did try the first lesson on guitar, but it was just too difficult for me. One day I'll go back and try again. I really wanted a bit more spoonfeeding with guitar - maybe not tab, but at least a nudge in the right direction with the chords.

So the point with the lessons is to sing while you play, and see it as your job to internalise the line, be able to sing it acapella. And not to neglect the 'singing with solo' which is a really important part of the process.

So I could probably do the singing part fairly well on guitar - as long as I didn't need to play!

Anyway, if you want to come back to it, you know where to find us.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yep, won't be too long - one of the things that my instructor at school was always hammering for me to do (and which I never did) was to play the lines as I sing. It will be one of my main focuses now.

I can still scat the solo to Struttin' With Some BBQ!

User Info Menu

Hi all, first post on this forum and like many I am delighted to find a continued interest in MB's awesome intro to jazz guitar. I came across it at a jumble sale some 30 years ago and it was an old copy then! I have always had a great fondness for the publication as it has always evoked a warm and comforting feeling when going to it. (If that makes sense) as it reminds me of the excitement one gets when discovering something for the first time.

At first I did "cherry pick" alot of the lessons and still learnt a great deal from it, in fact this books content is responsible for my learning to read music. After spending years fumbling around with scales and modes and a whole load of other stuff (which can be useful in theoretical guidance) a recent return to this book has once again rejuvenated my appetite for effective and attainable bop material.
    I have not had time to read through much of the posts on this thread but would only like to add that, the book, if kept as a source of information and logical practice, will certainly steer any person keen on learning to play jazz in the appropriate direction. It is unique in its effectiveness and utter success as a course of study. 57 years is a long time!
    Hope to discuss more about all of your findings and results with MB's (CJGC)

Just one other thing springs to mind (before I bore you all to death!) only a couple of weeks ago during an open mike day at a local haunt we used the second intro on page 20 (transposed to Bb) for a uptempo blues figure repeated occasionaly between the guys solos, after a couple of numbers a couple of other guys from another band came over to the Sax player and said that the groove of that number was really "cookin!" and was the slickest number played that afternoon. I should mention that Benny (The Sax player) is one hell of a blower and interstingly enough as it turns out has had MB's book for nearly as long as I have. Obviously he has been more thorough in his use of it than I!
    Oh must mention a huge thanks to MJ for the site I can only imagine the time that you have spent on putting together this huge aid and tribute to one of Jazz's all time best sellers. You clearly love this book as much as one can. Lets be honest it's about as much fun as one can possibly have with their clothes on!!!
    Take care all and hope to speak to some of you soon.
    Just keep at it!
    Chris

User Info Menu

Browsing through the shelves in a thrift store the other day I found a first (only?) edition of MB Book 1 in great shape. I thought it was a great score until I took a look at Lesson 1 and began to understand the challenge ahead. I'll have to reread this thread from the beginning. Yikes!

Joe

User Info Menu

Could someone look at this Amazon page for me. There's a "Frequently Bought Together" section showing 3 books. MB Jazz Guitar: Book 1, Book 2, then another book called "Jazz Guitar Micky Baker". The first and 3rd books look alike based on the table of contents and the first page discussing chords.
    Does anyone see a reason to buy the 3rd one? I would think the first 2 would suffice.
    Thanks for your opinions,
    Bob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by naccoachbob
    Could someone look at this Amazon page for me. There's a "Frequently Bought Together" section showing 3 books. MB Jazz Guitar: Book 1, Book 2, then another book called "Jazz Guitar Micky Baker". The first and 3rd books look alike based on the table of contents and the first page discussing chords.
    Does anyone see a reason to buy the 3rd one? I would think the first 2 would suffice.
    Thanks for your opinions,
    Bob
    Good afternoon, Bob...

The first book shown on the Amazon page (blue cover...) is the later, revised edition of the third (original...) book (yellow cover...). They are almost the same contents, with a few corrections in the blue one.
    I use only the yellow one, but that's only for nostalgic reasons (I'm going through my third copy in 40 years...). I have the revised edition, but I'm old and stubborn.
    The second volume (red cover...) is a kind of 'sequel' to the first, and is considered rather an 'optional extra' more than 'must have'. The methodology differs, and there is even less in the way of explanation (as if that were possible..!) than the volume I. useful, and instructive, but not to the same degree as Vol I.
    If there is one to have, it should be the blue one. If you want both, get the blue and red. The yellow one (older edition...) is for sentimental old codgers like myself.
    Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Hi Guys

I have yet to order this book. The reviews on amazon look good but I am slightly hesitant because when I look for videos of Mickey's playing on youtube it doesn't impress me that much. I watch and listen to players like Morten Faerestrand, John Scofield, Andreas Oberg, Joe Pass and George Benson. I want to be aiming at that kind of level. Maybe Mickey was that good but I don't see it/hear it in his playing.

Am I looking at the wrong videos? Is this book going to be good for me in my quest to become a session level player?

thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bennybeebop
    Hi Guys

I have yet to order this book. The reviews on amazon look good but I am slightly hesitant because when I look for videos of Mickey's playing on youtube it doesn't impress me that much. I watch and listen to players like Morten Faerestrand, John Scofield, Andreas Oberg, Joe Pass and George Benson. I want to be aiming at that kind of level. Maybe Mickey was that good but I don't see it/hear it in his playing.

Am I looking at the wrong videos? Is this book going to be good for me in my quest to become a session level player?

thanks
    Good afternoon, Benny...

I made the same mistake, luckily several decades after having obtained the MB method books. I agree totally that there is no (as far as I am aware...) listenable stuff out there of Mickey playing anything decent (to my taste, at least...). I say 'luckily', as his playing or otherwise are not really the point. 'Are his books any good..?' is more the question, and the answer is a resounding 'Yes..!' (imho, of course ,but many others concur...).
    Don't try to play like Mickey. Just go through his books (after all, they're damned cheap enough..!), and play your stuff. It will almost certainly sound better than MB, judging from what I've heard of him.
    Hope this helps...

Nuff Said Guest
    I'm sure it was a great book when it was first published in the 1950's. Probably the first of its kind.
    Nuff

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nuff Said
    I'm sure it was a great book when it was first published in the 1950's. Probably the first of its kind.
    Nuff
    I'm sure that it was. I'm also sure that it still is. There are several treaties (some over a thousand years old...) that are still relevant (to some...) today. '50's..? I was there. It's not that long ago, really.
    Certainly, there are others, and many are excellent. MB still holds his own, imho; perhaps even because of it's age.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353
    Good afternoon, Benny...

I made the same mistake, luckily several decades after having obtained the MB method books. I agree totally that there is no (as far as I am aware...) listenable stuff out there of Mickey playing anything decent (to my taste, at least...). I say 'luckily', as his playing or otherwise are not really the point. 'Are his books any good..?' is more the question, and the answer is a resounding 'Yes..!' (imho, of course ,but many others concur...).
    Don't try to play like Mickey. Just go through his books (after all, they're damned cheap enough..!), and play your stuff. It will almost certainly sound better than MB, judging from what I've heard of him.
    Hope this helps...
    I had exactly the same experience finding stuff on Youtube of MB's playing. It really does not resemble much of the content in his book. I was expecting to hear pretty much st,andard bop type mellow neck pickup stuff and was wide eyed with the twangy (and if I could use a phrase forgive me all) "scratchy" sounds that I heard.
    I did head off to the book and compaired the picture of him on the inside page of the book to the computer screen. It was him alright!

The book though is just brilliant and no amount of free beer/gogo dancers and foot rubs could change my view on that!!!

User Info Menu

Hi, is there a list of the typo errors in the yellow book 1 ? i think i've found a couple, not sure though. That would be a big help to people learning from that edition , and if there is not any list of the errors, we could start one .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blindjimmy
    Hi, is there a list of the typo errors in the yellow book 1 ? i think i've found a couple, not sure though. That would be a big help to people learning from that edition , and if there is not any list of the errors, we could start one .
    Damn fine idea! I did come across one today that I had not previously noticed, I will have to try and remember where it was.
    Big thumbs up for the suggestion!

User Info Menu

Yeah found it here is a starter for 10!

Lesson 12 paragraph 3.

Mickey states that we should write out all the relative sub minor 7ths for all the dominant 7th chords in a list and quotes "that the 5th of Db7 is Bbm"

This should either read "the 5th of Eb7 is Bbm"or "the 5th of Db7 is Abm"

Probably the latter is correct as the previous reference was relating the sub minor of C7

Oh by sub I mean "substitue"
    I know there are many others!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blindjimmy
    Found this list of corrections online. Not sure how complete/accurate...

User Info Menu

Nice one! I think that pretty much covers it, some useful stuff in it too.
    Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Apologies if this has been asked before - just a minor point to clear up.

Lesson 4 goes through different exercises w/ substitutions below. All well & good, I played through and was sounding jazzy, tho not necessarily unerstanding why the substitions were chosen, but that will come.

Lesson 5, we have to go back and transpose the lesson 4 exercises to new keys.

My question is - there are key signatures missing on page 9 right? The entire Lesson 4 is in G? Page 10 has the G signature, I'm going to assume Page 9 is simply missing it, as C major wouldn't make sense here.

Couldn't see it in the errata or notes so just thought I'd run it by the experts...

User Info Menu

You are correct.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Bug
    Just a note for other beginners.

You will be much better off knowing the note names on the neck when you begin using the book. I have some prior knowledge so I'm ok with the book, but if this was my first buy, I may be feeling lost already.
    I hadn't noticed this thread before. Cool. I'm just starting. On lesson 1 and 2 now.

The rootless chord(s) that he throws in are particularly snarky. So far I've noticed D13b5b9 (thought there was a mistake at first) - not sure if there are other rootless chords in the 1st lesson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Joyce
    I've added some insight to help other fingerstylists without affecting what Mickey wrote for the plectrum artists.
    Nice site. I'll be visiting often.

When I read this quote from the first lesson, I assumed Mickey was going to advocate finger style over pick playing.

"The old style of strumming chords for guitar will never do in modern playing, so we will have to work out a complete system." Mickey Baker

User Info Menu

I think he is just referring to folky-style strumming of C, F, G etc.

At first he gets you strumming four to a bar, but later on the timing gets more complicated, with off beats all over the place.

User Info Menu

Does anyone know if Mike Joyce's files will open with "Notion" or "Progression" on the iPad? The price on that app just dropped.

I recall some saying that "guitar Pro" would open his files, but that hasn't worked for me on the iPad.
    Last edited by Evan; 06-10-2012 at 12:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Is this thread dead? I would be interested in attempting to work through book 1 again. I tried a few times before and always gave up because my fingers just didn't seem to be able to do some of the chords. Even the Am7 chord with the a on the 1st string hurt an awful lot. Other chords that seem very difficult are the Am7(G6) on the 1st 4 strings and the C69 with the 3rd finger on the 1st 2 strings. And of course the Fmaj7 with the big stretch (although I just manage it as the Gmaj7 on the 3rd fret)
    Last edited by frankmaurer; 10-01-2012 at 09:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankmaurer
    Is this thread dead? I would be interested in attempting to work through book 1 again. I tried a few times before and always gave up because my fingers just didn't seem to be albe to do some of the chords. Even the Am7 chord with the a on the 1st string hurt an awful lot. Other chords that seem very difficult are the Am7(G6) on the 1st 4 strings and the C69 with the 3rd finger on the 1st 2 strings. And of course the Fmaj7 with the big stretch (although I just manage it as the Gmaj7 on the 3r fret)
    Same for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slmsloslider
    Michael, took a quick look at your Baker lessons.looks great, just gotta figure out the computer stuff.
    Maybe I can get past lesson three now!, thanks George

Hey you guys,Im 62 and only getting serious about this the last year.Although I practice alot progress is slow.My question is this, my fretting hand, not finger tips but hand, gets sore after playing several hours.Do you recomend a day off a day on like at the gym, or just pushing on through the soreness.
    I'm 65 and I play 2-3 hours minimum every day. Perhaps the approach would be to play fewer hours each day but maintain continuity by playing every day.
    Yesterday I was at a session that lasted 5 hours and had no issues. Sometimes I've seen people get sore hands from playing on a neck that's too small (really important IMO) , or using strings that are too heavy, high action etc.