The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

Very nice Frank, sounds comfortable for you. I feel compelled to point out that you swung the chord exercise (p97, bottom of page), just in case you didn't notice.

I have a recording or two I need to process, then I'm fairly much done with this chapter.

Edit: no sooner said than done. Scales, arps and chords on pages 90-91:
    https://www.box.com/s/ba16c7f17d3db74f52ab

Chords on p 97:
    https://www.box.com/s/482eacccc75924a7a170

Various inaccuracies especially at awkward stretches. That augmented dominant on page 97 is a right pain to get my fingers into. Hey ho.

Frank, you did you get on with the last picking etude?
    Last edited by ten left thumbs; 07-22-2012 at 09:14 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    Very nice Frank, sounds comfortable for you. I feel compelled to point out that you swung the chord exercise (p97, bottom of page), just in case you didn't notice.

I have a recording or two I need to process, then I'm fairly much done with this chapter.

Edit: no sooner said than done. Scales, arps and chords on pages 90-91:
    https://www.box.com/s/ba16c7f17d3db74f52ab

Chords on p 97:
    https://www.box.com/s/482eacccc75924a7a170

Various inaccuracies especially at awkward stretches. That augmented dominant on page 97 is a right pain to get my fingers into. Hey ho.

Frank, you did you get on with the last picking etude?
    Thanks for listening and arrrg I did it again. Thanks for pointing out the swing, that's a lesson learned and I really need to focus on that and play those straight.

I still need to go back and record the last picking etude. I'll get to it, been a bit busy lately.

I'm excited that we are closing in on the end of the book. Perhaps by the end of August. This is quite the accomplishment. For me, it's really rare to finish a method book, and I've never gone through a method book this thoroughly.

You mentioned a celebration... hmmm.

Your recordings sound good. I'm off to start our new thread right now.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'm excited too.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hi Frank, you are working hard and you can play fast. But are you aware (in that vid) a lot of the time you are out of synch with metronome? Can you hear it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    Hi Frank, you are working hard and you can play fast. But are you aware (in that vid) a lot of the time you are out of synch with metronome? Can you hear it?
    I was pushing my limit on the second part of the video. But I don't agree I'm out of synch with the metronome. I am aware my timing is sloppy at that speed. Those are two different things. (I'm not sure if I can blame it on latency as that is a software generated metronome, I don't think so though.)

Try taping your foot to the metronome on the 1 and 3 only (which is what most do at that kind of tempo and is what I do). I think you'll see I'm ending those phrases pretty close to the beat and certainly not off by a whole beat or more. If I was out of synch that wouldn't be true.

Perhaps it's just a semantics thing.
    Last edited by fep; 07-27-2012 at 08:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi Frank, I'll tell you what I hear (my ears are fallible). From about 8-15 sec you are faster than met, then you correct yourself and you are in synch for the rest of the section. When you turn it up from 46 sec, and to the end, you and met are going at different speeds, that is, you may well land a phrase close to a click, but only because the clicks are close together.

You relaxed when playing at speed?

I know for myself, when push comes to shove, an electronic metronome just doesn't cut it. Too easy for the brain to over-ride.

If you still disagree, maybe we could get another opinion from others here on the forum?

User Info Menu

Hey fep,

That's up close to 200, isn't it? I didn't check, but it sounds like 180-200. Kudos! Do you have a speed goal, or have you reached it already? Speed is one of those things we aren't supposed to make a big deal over, I guess; but I *LOVE* it! Hah. I think it can be very emotional when done sparingly. Of course in jazz there are plenteous occasions to play at "zoom" level, and guys like John McLaughlin (my fave) use it so well.

Play on, play on, fep!

User Info Menu

2012 since the last post on this thread.... woops
    I already recorded everyting for this lesson, but going to post them up bit by bit (I guess the half hour long youtube video's might have been a little much)

D Major Scale
    The mess-up at the end is a little stupid, but actually it was my girlfriend yelling at me from the stairs that startled me right at that moment and figured it shouldn't be my fault too much haha. Right after properly finishing off this exercise with only 1 missed C#.

Eighth Note Study

Played it with no click - which is cheating a little bit because it allows me to think and hesitate for a split second but it helps getting my reading bettered while being able to move on without being paralyzed by perfectionism.

Missed 1 e# - which actually should be confusing

User Info Menu

Or maybe just the rest of the lesson here

p91 - Chord forms:

I love how they are getting nicer music as the book progresses. Makes it easier to come back to. Some new shapes being a little tough on the left hand of course...

p92 - Melodic Rythm Study

A couple of chords I sometimes reverted to the barre chord I'm familiar with. I tried my best to stick to the chord forms though, and was there about 80%.
    Melody wise, it was tough and it's only the beginning. But I'm learning to enjoy the challenge of trying to remember where the sharps are.

p93 - Chord Etude no. 4

I think the chord etudes are becoming the pieces I look forward to the most. Much is said already and can't wait to learn a few off the top of my head and even more learn things outside MMfG that are equally pretty.

p93 - Staccato, Legato

Went over this one a little quick. Oh well.

p94 - Reading studies D - Major1 - Fingering Type 3

p95 - Reading studies D - Major2 - Fingering Type 3

These reading studies... they don't scare me as much anymore. I accept them as part of training or something.

p96 Dee-Oo-Ett

Classic Leavitt style duetism and chord-etudism taken up a notch again. It's like nice to have met these pieces and having to wait until after another couple of dates to really get to know eachother.

p97 - Chord forms

Obviously this exercise is all about that G6. Chord change needs some thinking still as you can hear. But I don't think the idea is to master this fully yet.

Speed Studies

Fingering Type II ex 1

Fingering Type II ex 2

Fingering Type III ex 1

Fingering Type III ex 2

Nothing much I feel I can say other than that I try to practice the advice to practice speed slowy as much as I can here. I do feel progress in relaxation, strength and cleaner execution of the notes out of these. Love them.
    Last edited by Langs; 03-02-2015 at 02:47 AM.

User Info Menu

I think the strumming part of the Melodic Rhythm Study is perhaps the hardest part of the book

User Info Menu

For Melodic Rhythm study 1:
    I'm sure it's something quite obvious that i'm overlooking , but I can't for the life of me figure out what Larry Baione is playing on the 4th measure of line 2. What am i supposed to be playing for that F#°? Thank you in advance for whoever has time to help.

User Info Menu

I believe it's the diminished 7 chord form introduced on page 97.

User Info Menu

Ah, you're right! Thank you. Not sure why they chose to introduce those chord forms after an exercise requiring them.