The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by znerken
    I wonder @fep(and others), why did the number of pages increase towards the end? I see from here on out you had 9 pages? I am fine with it, just wanted to ask

Also, while we are on the topic, how did you handle reviewing the book, after you were about half way? I mean, reviewing more than 60 pages can become problematic?
    Jazzstdnt is correct, you can go through the pages quite quickly and you don't have the do all the pages each day. Just start at the beginning and you eventually catch up to where the new material is at which point you go back to the beginning. It's enough material that you can't memorize so it helps your reading.

It went faster at the end as most of the group had faded away. At that point I went at my own pace. It was nice to finally actual finish one of my many music books.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

How do you count the swing feel, compared to the legitimate eight note feel here?

I guess something like one e and a for the eight notes. A Modern Method For Guitar Volume 1 - Lesson 10 - G Major Pages 80 - 89-screenshot-2019-01-14-10-54-12-jpg

User Info Menu

No, the second note is played as the third pulse of an eighth-note triplet.

The "a" of "1-e-and-a" is the "legit" version, and is later in the beat. :0

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    No, the second note is played as the third pulse of an eighth-note triplet.

The "a" of "1-e-and-a" is the "legit" version, and is later in the beat. :0

So with swing feel you count one trip let

with the straight feel you count 1 e and a ?, correct?

User Info Menu

Yes, but just keep in mind the swing characterization is just an approximation. It's a reasonable way to start though.

User Info Menu

For keeping time, should I be counting internally while I'm reading all of the pieces/exercises? Or is just counting before playing to get the rhythm down enough?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sun
    For keeping time, should I be counting internally while I'm reading all of the pieces/exercises? Or is just counting before playing to get the rhythm down enough?
    I would say the first option. Playing with a metronome helps.