The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Hi Fep . That makes totally sense!!!!! thanks a lot and I am really happy this group exists! thanks a lot! (by the way I have the compilation of the 3 Leavitt books in one - the white cover).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi nomelite, Glad you got it sorted.

Stick around, I plan to get through at least the first two volumes, but it might take a while.

User Info Menu

Continuing through...for the moment, I'm only posting recordings of songs I particularly like. Most days, I'm reviewing / practicing new stuff that I can't play well enough to record just yet. Rest assured, I am going to finish this book, and Volume 2 as well!

Here's Play It Pretty: https://app.box.com/s/wy05b1vvrbf3105y2mut

I'm really happy with the way my legato technique has improved - it's really hard for me to notice in-the-moment, but now when I go back to older recordings I cringe at the enormous gaps between notes. I love all the new pieces, they just get better and better.

User Info Menu

Hi thetruewheel,

Nice job on Play it Pretty. You planning to keep going through the book? How are you doing review? Just the pieces you had more trouble on or everything? About how fast are you working through the book and what portion of your playing time does MM take up?

I ask because I'm at about the same place in the book as you are and want to keep going, but find that if I give it the time I think it requires it leaves less time than I'd like for other playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve d
    Hi thetruewheel,

Nice job on Play it Pretty. You planning to keep going through the book? How are you doing review? Just the pieces you had more trouble on or everything? About how fast are you working through the book and what portion of your playing time does MM take up?

I ask because I'm at about the same place in the book as you are and want to keep going, but find that if I give it the time I think it requires it leaves less time than I'd like for other playing.
    Thanks! I've been playing around with different review techniques as I work through the book. At this point, my process is generally:

• Warm up / review with recent pieces that I feel fairly comfortable with.
    • Always review the most recent technique-building exercises (picking etudes, speed studies, and chord etudes)
    • Review other pieces depending on how much more work they need
    • Push forward to new pieces once I can play everything with a metronome (no matter how slow, speed will come with review and I feel I get more out of moving forward)

Once I feel really comfortable with a piece I try not to review it as frequently. I do try to go through the entire book once every week or two, to see improvement on older pieces.

I'm spending far more time with this book than other practice tools at the moment, just because I feel that getting this material down will accelerate my learning in other areas much more quickly. I have a WHOLE lot of sheet music that I really want to play, but it takes me far too long to decipher the notation so I'm trying to get my reading to a passable level before I waste a lot of time there. I think the return-on-investment with this book is really high, so I'm neglecting other things for now. As I develop this base of sight reading / technique and start going through volume 2, I plan on balancing my practice with other content.

My pace definitely changes depending on how difficult the current section is. It feels like I go in chunks of 4-8 pages at a time, spending some time on those and then moving forward whenever I feel comfortable. I'd feel pretty good doing 3-5 pages a week, but I definitely don't treat that as a rule.

Let me know what you're doing with the book...I've been thinking about the practice method / playing with it and think there's plenty of room for improvement!

User Info Menu

With the last 5 lessons, seems like all of them are monster lessons. I just finished editing all the recordings and I couldn't help posting them up just like that already because I want get momentum back in this.

I's a 25+ minute video .... Good luck making it to the end of it

Last edited by Langs; 01-17-2015 at 04:15 AM. Reason: 2x the word video in the same sentece

User Info Menu

I started to listen, but then realized I didn't want to be hearing the reading studies before I get there!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by michael-m
    I started to listen, but then realized I didn't want to be hearing the reading studies before I get there!
    That says a lot about your ear and how well it is connected to your playing.

User Info Menu

For the F major scale in position two (page 79), I can't really manage the f-g-a / b-c-d notes on strings 5 and 6 without sliding my hand. Should I keep working on stretching and trying not to slide at all? I watched Frank's masterful video and see barely any movement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sun
    For the F major scale in position two (page 79), I can't really manage the f-g-a / b-c-d notes on strings 5 and 6 without sliding my hand. Should I keep working on stretching and trying not to slide at all? I watched Frank's masterful video and see barely any movement.
    Just keep at it! Leavitt prefers stretches to keep the hand in position at all times and minimize the chance of flubs. Personally, I had some trouble with fingering type 4 but got used to it fairly quickly. If you have access to the videos they are worth watching. Larry Baione gives a lot of insights and tips which aren't included in the book.

User Info Menu

Hi! Could you please make a video where you play the sixteenth notes with "." as the study says?

Thx!!!!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=fep;235308]

[/QUOTE

Hi! I don't know if I'm asking in the right place, sorry about that... Could you please make a video where you play the sixteenth notes with "." as the study says?

Thx!!!!