Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldhead
    P52, Reverse Alternate Picking
    https://www.box.com/s/63e77369121503ab7f48
    Nice job, good time.

This is the reverse picking exercise after relaxing. It's not perfect, but I think you'll get the point.
    https://www.box.com/s/d195c172fb3dd5d6f33e
    Yes, I agree with relaxing. I try not to go to a tempo that is too fast and causes me to tighten up my right hand.

This is a lot faster than the first, I guess that is the point you're making about relaxing. I didn't think the time was as solid on this one as on the first one.

But, impressive picking and speed.
    Last edited by fep; 04-23-2012 at 10:34 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Page 47 and page 50 respectively:

"augmented chords repeat themselves every fifth fret."

"diminished chords repeat themselves every fourth fret."

Anybody else noticed? A typo? Shouldn't it be every fourth for augmentd (since built with major 3rds = 4 frets)

and every 3rd fret (since built from minor 3rds = 3 frets)....

User Info Menu

Good point, the book is correct and so are you!

It depends whether you consider the fret you are on to be 'one' instead of 'zero' when you start counting.

User Info Menu

Oh, I see - that's the way he counts. Thanks for the reply, fep.

User Info Menu

Recorded everything at 44Bpm

Page 50, Key of Bb Major:

Page 50, Rythm acc. ex1 and ex2 respectively:

Last edited by Langs; 05-12-2014 at 01:19 AM.

User Info Menu

P51, Duet in Bb. Like mentioned in my previous post, the barre chords were quite tough on my left hand muscles. I just went with my first take that I recorded today. I can imagine it taking too long before I get it perfect otherwise.

p52, Reverse Picking Study. Wow, really really hard technically. Not even so much the reverse picking, but the string skipping and the stretching combined with the independence required in the left hand I found to quite brutal. So definitely quite a bit of mistakes here, but I like how I started to feel like my dexterity is already improving from this exercise. Love it.

Again, both at 44Bpm.

User Info Menu

B flat was not a good week! All it took was a couple if interruptions through the week and it all went to pot. No recording done of this, but moved on to the Key of D so as to avoid getting bogged down/demoralized...

User Info Menu

I am not quite sure I grasp the purpose of the reverse alternate picking? I can't imagine this is often used? Does it actually improve your regular alternate picking?

User Info Menu

So the exercise actually switches between three methods then, if I am not mistaken?

Reverse alternate picking
    normal alternate picking
    "a different picking technique" introduced at p. 59?

Not that easy to know what technique to be used on unmarked notes then..
    Attached Images Attached Images A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 50 to 52-screenshot-2018-11-05-17-36-29-jpg 

User Info Menu

It's a nice study and picking challenge. You never know what will come up in plectrum or jazz guitar, picking wise. It can get quite hairy. What can/will be played is only a matter of one's limitations, in either conception, technique, or both.

So, regarding the picking strokes to use for the unmarked notes - you are to continue with the latest pattern prescribed.

Does that make sense?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    It's a nice study and picking challenge. You never know what will come up in plectrum or jazz guitar, picking wise. It can get quite hairy. What can/will be played is only a matter of one's limitations, in either conception, technique, or both.

So, regarding the picking strokes to use for the unmarked notes - you are to continue with the latest pattern prescribed.

Does that make sense?

Thank you, I think that helps. Thanks for helping me along the way in the book. I appreciate it.

I watched the DVD, and he actually says that it improves your regular alternate picking as well.

What I have done at this stage, is to take all the picking exercises in the book and practice them daily. This is great I think, because it's doable, and it really improves your picking long term(I hope).

So now I practice:
    A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 50 to 52-pick-jpg

User Info Menu

That's a good plan.

The Index mentions "right hand development". The right hand is the basic tool for articulation, so daily exercise is key. When the right hand falters a little, playing falters with it. One for one.