The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 78

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Here's my Endurance Etude, I missed a few notes but I can't redo it. My pinky hurts.
    Gotta have mercy on those pinkies - really! Good job, Frank - I'll be surprised if anybody gets through this one without mistakes, or without multiple takes. The Benson picking really allows for a strong upstroke. I like that - that high G note just peals like a bell, hypnotic almost.

I remember this etude from 25+ years ago when I went through the book. It's a killer if your pick technique isn't already advanced. And I gotta say, working these pieces up to performance level (or almost!) is showing me what a HUGE amount of Leavitt's method I completely missed. This is a marvelous way to approach the books. I think Leavitt would absolutely approve. I also think this way just might facilitate better learning than that which the Berklee students get - especially if we review the material regularly, as they are told to do, but probably don't.

I'll send you a ham at Christmas, Frank.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Kojo, I take some comfort that one *can* use this book for technique, without getting everything perfect. In the spirit of sharing, I would like to share my efforts from a few nights ago:

endurance limits.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

This is slower than I normally play it, and I discovered that slower is definitely more difficult.

The only thing I can say with some pride is this is easy on my pinkie. With the shape of my hand it just fits nicely on that fret without strain, and it's not like it has to move at all!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    Kojo, I take some comfort that one *can* use this book for technique, without getting everything perfect. In the spirit of sharing, I would like to share my efforts from a few nights ago:

This is slower than I normally play it, and I discovered that slower is definitely more difficult.

The only thing I can say with some pride is this is easy on my pinkie. With the shape of my hand it just fits nicely on that fret without strain, and it's not like it has to move at all!
    Good work, TLT - playing slow like that can be grueling, but imo, it's how we should practice at first. Builds muscle memory, and can improve timing, all that.

Of course, I didn't mean that any of us *should* go for a perfect recording of this thing - no! I'll bet you this, though: if we keep coming back and back, reviewing the material as we're supposed to, I'll bet that you'll play it flawlessly, every time, before you know it. If that is a goal for you, I mean.

You're sounding fine now, though. Your guitar sounds really nice - what is it?

Kojo

User Info Menu

Thanks kojo. My guitar's a Freshman - big, solid, strummy thing. Has a lovely tone, but awkward as anything to play. I'd love to get myself a nice wee archtop, however they don't seem to come cheap.

As for Endurance Etude, my learning curve with picking is fairly slow, so I know I'm in for the long haul.

User Info Menu

Howard Roberts once told me, during a private lesson, that playing a ballad slowly "separates the men from the boys" and is more difficult to accomplish. I think I agree with him as it is definitely harder for me to keep good time when playing a slow ballad.

wiz

User Info Menu

Thanks kojo. My guitar's a Freshman - big, solid, strummy thing. Has a lovely tone, but awkward as anything to play. I'd love to get myself a nice wee archtop, however they don't seem to come cheap.
    Oh, crappers. My first archtop was quite "wee." I just sold it, though! I began tinkering with swing and jazz about 3 years ago, started with Mickey Baker book, and wanted a guitar to get that sound. Lucked up, found a 1940 Martin R-18, weighed in at just under 4 lbs, 14 1/4" at the widest part. Sounded like straight out of the 1920s! I *so* regret selling it. I'd have given you a great deal, just 'cause you're cool.

Michael Kelly guitars made a SOLID WOOD (Spruce top, flamed maple back & sides, beautiful guitar) - called "Heirloom archtop" - had a little floating humbucker, so cool. It's 16", so has a big sound, but get this: the nut width is 1 5/8"!!! It's like a broom handle! I love skinny necks.

The company mis-marketed these terribly, and sold very few. They are still around, though - usually $899 USD. Well worth it, w/hard case. I want one BAD. I have a bunch of pictures a dealer made and sent me -- they'll make you drool, but if you have an email address you don't mind sharing, I'll send them along. His daughter is holding the guitar in a couple pics, so it's easy to judge the size. My mail is kojo.27 At the g-mail darttccomm thing. (Spam bots steal real addresses, so you gotta fake 'em out.) You can send your email address to mine - only if you wish, though.

kj

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Howard Roberts once told me, during a private lesson, that playing a ballad slowly "separates the men from the boys" and is more difficult to accomplish. I think I agree with him as it is definitely harder for me to keep good time when playing a slow ballad.

wiz
    Must have been awesome having a private lesson with Howard Roberts. Wow. I loved his Guitar Player Magazine column. He was still alive and writing that when I quit playing those many years ago. Now they're all gone, and the articles are bad and the interviews are worse. But Howard Roberts had it together. Knew more about jazz and guitar and theory than just about anybody.

Did he study formally, Howie? Did he die wealthy, from GIT?

User Info Menu

TLT, Congrats on your "endurance limits". It sounds good, and progress is always good. I'm finding that learning guitar is a lot like learning a good golf swing. In golf it's a lot of repetition and practice to develop a sound, repeatable swing. On the guitar it's the same principle, a lot of repetition and practice to hit the right notes without having to think about it. I wish I had more time to devote to both of them.

User Info Menu

Pages 48 and 49, Endurance Etude.
    I just couldn't get my head around this one for some reason.

Pages 48 and 49, Endurance Etude.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Good job TLT. That is quite the endurance exercise at that tempo. Well played with a lot of discipline and the notes come out real clear. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldhead

Pages 48 and 49, Endurance Etude.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Hey it sounded good to me, I like the way you varied the tempo. And at the tempo you played, you're showing some real good control of that pick. This piece is really quite the picking exercise. Good job. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Shoot, oldhead, I wish I could get my head halfway 'round it that well - you did a very nice job. Smooth, even notes, and at a good clip for this kind of piece. Impressive.

kj

User Info Menu

Bravo oldhead!

User Info Menu

Hey it sounded good to me, I like the way you varied the tempo. And at the tempo you played, you're showing some real good control of that pick. This piece is really quite the picking exercise. Good job. Thanks for posting.
    Thanks, FEP. I was going for top of Moderato. I guess it just didn't feel like it flowed. Sometimes I think Mr. Leavitt writes these so that just when you anticipate something, he takes a different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojo27
    Shoot, oldhead, I wish I could get my head halfway 'round it that well - you did a very nice job. Smooth, even notes, and at a good clip for this kind of piece. Impressive.

kj
    thanks KJ. It didn't come easily. I'd hate to think of how many times I played it to get it this far. My phone (land line right next to me) started ringing on p49, s5, m1 and threw me off from the Poco rit to the finish. Very distracting. May have to revisit and try to slow it down at the end.

Bravo oldhead!
    thanks, TLT.
    Last edited by oldhead; 04-16-2012 at 12:55 PM.

User Info Menu

I fell apart this week gang and had some personal issues occur that prevented me to be able to practice like I needed to. I will be reviewing all of this material to bring it up to better play. I had a sucky week and it shows.

Endurance Etude
    Endurance Etude picking etude no 3.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Speed Studies

I was only able to memorize the first pattern in the 2nd postion but am able to slide it up a fret to play in the other keys.. I went ahead and played all the patterns in other positions so the pattern would repeat better rather than the open position. I still have to memorize the other two patterns. I can read them no problem at a slow speed but playing fast is impossible unless I get them memorized like the first pattern. On the second pattern i forgot to sharp the F. I flubbed around as well on some of the notes. It was all I could do just to get some practice in and get these recorded and uploaded. Hoping some things turn around for me. Keep me in your prayers.

Speed Studies pg 46.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Rhythm

Rhythmn Accompaniment pg 47.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Last edited by Will Glen; 04-16-2012 at 11:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Will Glen
    I fell apart this week gang and had some personal issues occur that prevented me to be able to practice like I needed to. I will be reviewing all of this material to bring it up to better play. I had a sucky week and it shows.

Endurance Etude
    Endurance Etude picking etude no 3.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Speed Studies

I was only able to memorize the first pattern in the 2nd postion but am able to slide it up a fret to play in the other keys.. I went ahead and played all the patterns in other positions so the pattern would repeat better rather than the open position. I still have to memorize the other two patterns. I can read them no problem at a slow speed but playing fast is impossible unless I get them memorized like the first pattern. On the second pattern i forgot to sharp the F. I flubbed around as well on some of the notes. It was all I could do just to get some practice in and get these recorded and uploaded. Hoping some things turn around for me. Keep me in your prayers.

Rhythm

Rhythmn Accompaniment pg 47.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Hi Will. Sorry to hear you had rough week. Endurance Etude sounds really nice, at a good tempo; you really put the pedal to the metal on those first couple of speed studies, and I liked the way you played the rhythm. Hope you have a better week this week. TFP.

User Info Menu

Hi Will, Sorry to hear you've had a rotten time. Your recordings are amazing, especially Endurance. Now, I'm going to give advice above my pay-grade here, but for the speed studies, while you are playing fast, it is not in as much control as necessary. So for example, at the beginning, you are accelerating slightly through the exercise. You will get more out of these going with a metronome. So, you find the tempo at which you can play in control and without mistakes, and you play like that for a couple of days, then up the tempo by 5bpm at a time. The tempo may be different for each exercise in each key, some are harder than others.

Sorry to be so boring about tempo. I play with musicians who just go faster and faster and it's frustrating. They can't seem to hear it.

User Info Menu

As I mentioned in that previous post, I prefer to memorize just the little sequence pattern. So I put this together (pdf attached at the bottom):
    Just to say, because this has helped me so much: when you're playing these melodic sequences/patterns, it's a PERFECT opportunity to multi-task and work on solfege. If the pattern is a major scale in groups of four (C, D, E, F; D, E, F, G; E, F, G, A; F, G, A, B; etc.), as you play the notes, sing them softly or at least hear them in your imagination -- and hear them as "do, re, mi, fa; re, mi, fa, sol; mi, fa, sol, la; fa, sol, la, ti; etc" -- and this will do wonders for your ear.

Do this with any melodic pattern, in any scale type or arpeggio - anything you play, really - but these patterns lend themselves especially well to drilling on the solfege syllables and sounds, imo.

kj

User Info Menu

Endurance Etude

Maybe you can tell, but this sounds wonderful to me. In this piece, I like how you let the high G drone relatively quietly - it sounds great that way. Very, very pretty. I have to ask about your guitar: man, it's a good-sounding instrument, and recorded well, too. An acoustic archtop? Good job of tuning, as well.

Speed Studies

Whoa! I doubt I can do them so cleanly at these tempos. Very impressive. Sounds like you've spent a few hours in the woodshed - Sounds like fairly strict alternate picking, too - yes? No?

Rhythm

Good job again! I love good rhythm playing - sometimes I think I admire a fine rhythm player more than a fine soloist. I've huge respect for the backup maestros.

All sounds good - play on!

Keep me in your prayers.
    Yes sir. Lots of positive energy and vibes sent your way!

kj

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty W
    Whoops! I numbered it wrong in the folder.

This should be Endurance Etude: http://db.tt/yuyvinW0
    Ah, very pleasant, Marty. Good "endurance," too. (Can you guys imagine playing this and the other picking etudes every day for a year - what chops they would build?)

You have a nice, even tone here - I like that a lot. I don't have any real criticism - sounds good!

kj

User Info Menu

Endurance Etude

Speed Studies

Rhythm

Endurance Etude - Sounds good Will, you definitely have command of your cross picking and you are getting a nice tone.

Speed studies, Thanks for letting me into your home. I think those tempos are fine as you are playing cleanly. Just some more practice if you want to and you'd play them with no little mistakes. I prefer to just practice the patterns (i.e. not the exercise) as I discussed above.

Rhythm Accompainiment, really solid with a good sound. My only nit is on the first one you choked some of the chords so quickly that I think I was only hearing muted strings. Sounded really good that way though.

Will, sending positive vibes your way.

Edit - oops it looks like my signature is giving you a B+ grade, I'm really trying to say B Positive (my new blood type).

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and I believe I'm back on track. Appreciate the thoughts you all.

Hi Will. Sorry to hear you had rough week. Endurance Etude sounds really nice, at a good tempo; you really put the pedal to the metal on those first couple of speed studies, and I liked the way you played the rhythm. Hope you have a better week this week. TFP.
    Much better going this week. Thanks man.

Hi Will, Sorry to hear you've had a rotten time. Your recordings are amazing, especially Endurance. Now, I'm going to give advice above my pay-grade here, but for the speed studies, while you are playing fast, it is not in as much control as necessary. So for example, at the beginning, you are accelerating slightly through the exercise. You will get more out of these going with a metronome. So, you find the tempo at which you can play in control and without mistakes, and you play like that for a couple of days, then up the tempo by 5bpm at a time. The tempo may be different for each exercise in each key, some are harder than others.

Sorry to be so boring about tempo. I play with musicians who just go faster and faster and it's frustrating. They can't seem to hear it.

Busted! Back to the metronome.

Just to say, because this has helped me so much: when you're playing these melodic sequences/patterns, it's a PERFECT opportunity to multi-task and work on solfege. If the pattern is a major scale in groups of four (C, D, E, F; D, E, F, G; E, F, G, A; F, G, A, B; etc.), as you play the notes, sing them softly or at least hear them in your imagination -- and hear them as "do, re, mi, fa; re, mi, fa, sol; mi, fa, sol, la; fa, sol, la, ti; etc" -- and this will do wonders for your ear.

Do this with any melodic pattern, in any scale type or arpeggio - anything you play, really - but these patterns lend themselves especially well to drilling on the solfege syllables and sounds, imo.

kj
    That's a great tip and thanks for the idea.

Endurance Etude

Maybe you can tell, but this sounds wonderful to me. In this piece, I like how you let the high G drone relatively quietly - it sounds great that way. Very, very pretty. I have to ask about your guitar: man, it's a good-sounding instrument, and recorded well, too. An acoustic archtop? Good job of tuning, as well.

Speed Studies

Whoa! I doubt I can do them so cleanly at these tempos. Very impressive. Sounds like you've spent a few hours in the woodshed - Sounds like fairly strict alternate picking, too - yes? No?

Rhythm

Good job again! I love good rhythm playing - sometimes I think I admire a fine rhythm player more than a fine soloist. I've huge respect for the backup maestros.

All sounds good - play on!

Yes sir. Lots of positive energy and vibes sent your way!

kj
    Yes, I was alternate picking and have been working daily on major scales in the ole woodshed. I have a Taylor 415 LTD acoustic (its a big un) and the recording is using a computer mic and the online software called Kristal. I've been looking at a better microphone but need to upgrade my computer which I plan to do this May so I can download more programs on it. Have a good one man and glad you are sharing your work with MMI.

Endurance Etude - Sounds good Will, you definitely have command of your cross picking and you are getting a nice tone.

Speed studies, Thanks for letting me into your home. I think those tempos are fine as you are playing cleanly. Just some more practice if you want to and you'd play them with no little mistakes. I prefer to just practice the patterns (i.e. not the exercise) as I discussed above.

Rhythm Accompainiment, really solid with a good sound. My only nit is on the first one you choked some of the chords so quickly that I think I was only hearing muted strings. Sounded really good that way though.

Will, sending positive vibes your way.

Edit - oops it looks like my signature is giving you a B+ grade, I'm really trying to say B Positive (my new blood type).

Anytime Fep. I'll take a B+ brother anyday! Thanks for listening and take care. Looks you guys are having some fun in that other study group. Good job man.

User Info Menu

Hi everyone, I had another go at endurance etude.

https://www.box.com/s/c05b26b8408adc16e642

This is a fair recording for me - I've played it better, I've played it worse. When I visualise the notes clearly, I get them always. Every mistake is a mistake of mental vagueness, not finger problems.

User Info Menu

This is a fair recording for me - I've played it better, I've played it worse. When I visualise the notes clearly, I get them always. Every mistake is a mistake of mental vagueness, not finger problems.
    Fair? Excellent, really nice. I really appreciate your persistence and "endurance", and the added vocal was nice too. I can relate to your "mental vagueness" mistakes. I think it's something we probably all share. Thanks for posting that, TLT.

User Info Menu

Wow, Laura! Good job; much, much better. I love the singing, too, as this adds a whole extra dimension to the piece, and one that Leavitt would have liked, I think. The piece is full of life, which is the point, imo.

You know, this piece is so lengthy and so arduous, I find myself almost cheering the player on as the 3/4 mark comes around - "Go, go, go!" Ha! I dread it in a way (playing it), but I look forward eagerly, as well. I've lately changed my right hand approach to less wrist and more elbow (I know, boo, boo), so we'll see how that works on THIS thing.

Play on, Laura!

kj