The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 55

User Info Menu

Here is a list of the Study Group: A Modern Method for Guitar Vol. 1 threads:

A Modern Method For Guitar Vol 1 pages 1 to 8 (Study Group introduction and Pages 1 - 8)

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 8 to 11 (pages 8 - 11)

A Modern Method For Guitar Vol 1 Pages 12 to 14 (pages 12 - 14)

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 15 to 19 (pages 15 - 19)

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 20 to 22 (pages 20 - 22)

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 23 to 24 (pages 23 - 24)

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 25 to 26 (pages 25 - 26)

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 27 to 29 (pages 27 - 29)

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 30 to 31 (pages 30 - 31)

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 32 to 34 (pages 32 - 34)

A Modern Method For Guitar Volume 1 Pages 35 to 38 (pages 35 - 38)

A Modern Method For Guitar Volume 1 Pages 39 to 40 (pages 39 - 41)

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 42 to 45 (pages 42 - 45)

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 46 to 49 (pages 46 - 49)

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 50 to 52 (pages 50 - 52)

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 53 to 55 (pages 53 - 55)

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 56 to 59 (pages 56 - 59)

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 60 to 62 (pages 60 - 62)

A Modern Method For Guitar Volume 1 Pages 63 to 66 (pages 63 - 66)

A Modern Method For Guitar Volume 1 Pages 70 to 72 (pages 70 - 72)

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages Lesson 9 - Pages 79 to 73 (Lesson 9 Pages 73 - 79)

A Modern Method For Guitar Volume 1 - Lesson 10 - G Major Pages 80 - 89 (Lesson 10 Pages 80 - 89)

Study Group: A Modern Method For Guitar Volume 1 - Lesson 11 - D Major Pages 90 - 99 - Lesson 11 pages 90 to 99

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 - Lesson 12 - Pages 100 to 111 - Lesson 12 pages 100-111

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 - Lesson 13 - Pages 112 to 124 - Lesson 13 pages 112 - 124

And these too:

A Modern Method for Guitar Supplemental Material (Modern Method for Guitar supplemental books, and other discussions that don't fit in the other threads)
    Last edited by fep; 08-04-2013 at 10:35 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

wow. So neat, so organised... so much work.

User Info Menu

Ah, thanks for organising this! It's really useful.

User Info Menu

Hey Everyone,
    I am new to this forum. I have the Modern Method for Guitar complete book which includes all three volumes. However, I have only played some of the material and skipped around a lot. Because of this, I have not learned much. I’m really happy to find others using the same method. I’ll need to start from the beginning and will post vids/recordings to the forum but a goal of 2-4 pages a week may be a bit much. However, I will try to complete the first volume within 6-8 months. I work full time and attend school full time so I usually do not have much time to practice.

I’ve read a lot of the posts and watched and listened to the performances and I must say I hope I am half as good as you all when I complete the material. Kudos to all of you for terrific work and much improvement!

I do have a few questions:
    1. Can anyone help explain how to post vids/recordings to the forum? I only have a laptop with built-in mike and camera (both of which I have never used).
    2. What should be the goal, tempo-wise for the scale and speed exercises? I was thinking about 150 bpm when playing eighth notes. Too optimistic?
    3. What tempos are meant by: moderate (120 bpm?), fast waltz, slow 4, etc. I did notice while playing some of the material that a tempo almost came automatically. Is this what you all have found?
    Well, I think that’s enough for now. Is anyone planning on continuing with vols 2 & 3? I’d like to see your progress and the difficulty of them.

Until next time, peace and good playing,
    David

User Info Menu

Hi David, good to have you on board. The threads are all here, so feel free to dig in!

To answer some of your specific points:

Time. It would be fair to say, I think, that everyone who started the MM study group found it hard. It is a book worth taking time over, and worth taking in order. I'll leave you do to the maths of how much time you have, and what rate of progress you want.

1. recordings. I use a Zoom H2 for audio, and a zoom q3 hd for video. Whether your built-in mic and camera are up to the job really depends on how good their are, you can only find out by trying. You can also buy an external mic and plug it in, it may be better. For audio, I upload files to boxnet, but there are other solutions like sound cloud.

2. Speed. I use the CD rom that comes with the book, and there he starts all exercises at 80bpm. Of course, you can work on speed itself, but you might as well make sure you've got the point of the exercise, at a moderate speed, first. For many here, we work on the exercises without metronome, or at very slow speed first. It does get that hard.

3. Yes I do plan to do volume 2 also, but, it's been a long hard slog, and I'm almost finished vol 1, so I can really only think about that just now.

User Info Menu

I recently jumped back into the Leavitt Vol 1 after a hiatus and I interested in joining up with this study group. I'm at the Chord Etude 1 on page 62 which is where I left off several months (or longer?) ago. Pages 60 to 62 seem to be the one of the only blocks for which there's no thread in the above index. Am I missing something or looking in the wrong place. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

User Info Menu

Pages 67 to 69 missing?

User Info Menu

I realise this ship has long since sailed, but I'm going to have a go at following in the footsteps of those who went before...

User Info Menu

Good to have you on board!

I notice you are in Perthshire. Just north of me (Scotland)? Or on the other side of the world?

User Info Menu

The dark, grey, damp place just North of you, not the sunny place on the other side of the world!

User Info Menu

So your days are even shorter than mine? These long arctic nights are great for guitar practice, aren't they?

User Info Menu

So your days are even shorter than mine? These long arctic nights are great for guitar practice, aren't they?

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,

Greetings from India.

I guess the group in not active anymore.
    I just started working on Volume 1.
    Just completed first 3 pages for now.

Have been playing guitar for almost 7+ years.
    I am a self taught player so I'm pretty much illiterate when it comes to music.

Planning to apply for music school in few months so picked up the book and now working hard.
    Also trying to do some ear training.

As I have already got the techniques I get bored while working on the lessons(reading music and playing slow)
    and then I get distracted and start to noodle around with the guitar and play random stuff try to come up with something or the other.

Any advice on this.

And any practice routine anyone follows that might help.

Thanks
    Ashish

User Info Menu

I don't know if the group is still active as I have not participated in a long while but I'm still incorporating the Levitt books into my practice routine. I'm deep into volume 2.

I'm no expert, just a life long student of the guitar. The best advice for practice I can give is to break sessions up into short periods of 20 to no more than 30 minutes, including warm up and review of prior exercises, of focused study of just one to three pages of the book, or one technical study, then take a break or stop completely. Comeback later and do something else or get creative. You must use a metronome to measure your progress. The research shows that short focused sessions each day are most effective. Its important to keep moving through the book page by page and reviewing prior lessons. Its amazing how you steadily get better.

It took me 20 years to get this advice, but its really worked for me.

User Info Menu

this is so nice, thank you for the study group created.

User Info Menu

I am about to pick up this 3 part series and was wondering if I should get the big book (all 3 in 1) for $35 or pay $25 each for vol 1, 2, 3, as they come with a CD? Does the CD contain (all) exercises in the book, or just a selection of duets, etc... ?

User Info Menu

I think the CDs have almost everything (but don't quote me), while the video for Volume 1 does not. Besides you can beat the playing on the CDs It's all about you.

I have multiple copies of the single books and one big book which I never use. I would buy the separate volumes, you'll wear them out, and the big book is too bulky for a music stand.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    I think the CDs have almost everything (but don't quote me), while the video for Volume 1 does not. Besides you can beat the playing on the CDs It's all about you.

I have multiple copies of the single books and one big book which I never use. I would buy the separate volumes, you'll wear them out, and the big book is too bulky for a music stand.

Enjoy!
    Yup. I have the big book. It's cool, in that it's big and impressive, but it's not really that practical . Most mortals will take a great deal of time to get through each of them , and you really have no idea whether you're going to even get around to volume 3. Think we all have an idea that we're going to get there in a few weeks or something, but it's a pretty substantial work. I mean, there's other stuff to learn in music as well.

User Info Menu

I think the CDs have almost everything (but don't quote me)
    Thanks! I picked up Vol1 and Vol2 today with CD. The CD does contain every exercise so well worth it over the DVD for me. I used to play guitar 'tabs' as well as piano over 15 years ago and wanted to start from scratch and learn notation/theory for the guitar this time around. I did just start with an instructor who recommended this book, but the CD should help me to make sure I'm not hitting sour notes as I try to learn the notes of the fretboard while sight reading. The tracks are titled so I might rip them to a cloud drive so I can play them through my phone.

Also, I took the Vol1 and Vol2 books to the local office supply store and it turns out they all offer a cut / spiral binding service for around $5 per book, so I got that done. I just started with an instructor who recommended this book so I'm looking forward to getting some theory under my belt and wean off 100% tabs.

User Info Menu

I picked up both volumes and the CDs contain the tracks with info so that's great!
    I had a local office shop spiral bound each book.

Vol1 - CD contains ALL exercises.
    Vol2 - CD contains only the etudes and duets / songs.
    Last edited by hoosier1981; 06-30-2018 at 10:13 PM.

User Info Menu

That sounds about right. Knuckle busting time now. :0

User Info Menu

May I ask those who have gone through the volume 1 book, how did you approach the constant review recommended? I mean, are you supposed to review all previous material in the book all the time, or did you just review _what_ you had been practicing on that week? And how did you review it?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

I think going back and playing past "lessons" is the watch word. Especially the most recent 10 pages or so. That's while you're going through the book.

Once you're finished with the first half of the book you can go back and play it from page 16 or so. Not every day, maybe every few days.

One finished with the second half of the book do the same or split it in two.

You may be tempted to play them much faster than you originally did.

User Info Menu

I think going back and playing past "lessons" is the watch word. Especially the most recent 10 pages or so. That's while you're going through the book.

Once you're finished with the first half of the book you can go back and play it from page 16 or so. Not every day, maybe every few days.

One finished with the second half of the book do the same or split it in two.

You may be tempted to play them much faster than you originally did.

Well initially I did one exercise at the time, until I managed it at the same tempo as in the video, then moved on. Now I am at page 15-18, roughly, and I feel the exercises getting to a level where I have a hard time playing them at 90 BPM, as in the video. So now I have changed my approach. I play multiple exercises every day.

If I go back and review a lot of the earlier duets and stuff, I feel I need to re learn them, as I can't remember everything. I guess, one approach, could be to every week, look back at what you have practiced, then move on to the next material. Then when you get to half of the book, you can go back and play through everything.

However, if I have to play through all the previous material once a week, it will take a loooong time?

Quote Originally Posted by znerken
    Well initially I did one exercise at the time, until I managed it at the same tempo as in the video, then moved on. Now I am at page 15-18, roughly, and I feel the exercises getting to a level where I have a hard time playing them at 90 BPM, as in the video. So now I have changed my approach. I play multiple exercises every day.

If I go back and review a lot of the earlier duets and stuff, I feel I need to re learn them, as I can't remember everything. I guess, one approach, could be to every week, look back at what you have practiced, then move on to the next material. Then when you get to half of the book, you can go back and play through everything.

However, if I have to play through all the previous material once a week, it will take a loooong time?
    Ten pages at a time was a good recommendation. Just work on those ten for a week without to much judgment. That's what was done in these study groups as well.

look at these study groups for whatever lesson you're in, and get a feel for what other people were doing.