The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I have seen people play various scales in One position on the neck.
    D MAJOR A MAJOR and so on

How do you do this?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You can play all 12 keys in one position (more or less) by starting on a different finger on strings 6, 5 and 4. I believe Jimmy Brunos book goes into detail on this. Probably the Mick Goodrick book as well.

If you play the chromatic notes C , C#, D ,D# , starting with the first finger, C uses 1, C# uses 2, D uses 3, and D# uses 4th finger. so start your major scale on that finger.

C major 1st finger 6th string (the 1,6 fingering)
    C# major 2nd finger 6th string (2-6 fingering)
    D major 3 rd finger 6Th string (3-6 fingering)
    D# major 4th finger 6th string (4-6 fingering)

There's 4 keys right there

Now move that to the 5th string for notes F,F#,G,G#. Same thing
    That's another 4 keys. (F 1-5, F# 2-5, G 3-5, G# 4-5 ) {finger-string}

the missing 4 can be found by moving down or up 1 fret for B and E ( A and Bb are up or down two positions.)

I'm pretty sure you can find these scale finerings posted on the site somewhere or maybe Matt has them on his site as a lesson.
    Last edited by JohnW400; 10-03-2008 at 04:56 PM.

User Info Menu

easy--you just gotta know the notes that are in the scales...you can grab any scale withing a four or five fret range--just gotta know what the names of the notes in the scale are...for example D major is D E F# G A B C# ...we could find all of those notes starting around the fifth fret on the fifth string (D)A major is A B C# D E F# G#. here, you can start on the fifth fret on the sixth string.but we can find other scales in there too. do you know your major scales? a beginner's book on scales would give you all the info you need (or one lesson with a teacher) and the rest is fretboard knowledge.

User Info Menu

I'm trying to learn scales and arps in one position as a learning tool; probably based off the position of the I chord. It's nice to see everything right under your fingers. I guess you could chord that way too if you knew enough inversions. I especially like playing my scales and melodies off the 6th or 5th strings starting with the little finger; on DO.

Sailor

User Info Menu

Sailor,

Don't short change yourself. You should learn the scales, modes and arp off of all fingers. I can rattle off dozen of voicings you would only see if you know the scale fingering. If you only use the 4-6 or 4-5 then you only see the possibilities to the left of the fingerboard, not the right.

User Info Menu

i dunno if the video lesson I did of this is still on youtube but if you search on it 12 keys 1 position you should find it if I didn't take it down. It's how to play any key in 1 place on the neck

User Info Menu

Good point John, I AM only playing to the left, primarily. I know chords and scales all over but I am having a hard time connecting everything!! For a relative beginner it's just helpful to me to see how everything can be contained to a few frets.

I'm not sure of what you mean by 4-5, 4-6??

Sailor

User Info Menu

Within every 5 frets on guitar we have the range of 2 octaves and a major 3rd of the chromatic scale which is the parent scale of all scales.
    Here is a chart of 12 major keys on frets 1-5 from the lowest note in the key to the highest within the position. The root notes are in bold.
    Some keys are the standard fingerings while others are somewhat awkward but very playable using extensions and contractions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Nice Chart Bako!!

Thanks Sailor

User Info Menu

12 notes - 120 frets give or take a few- scales are everywhere the guitar is a new instrument- like the piano- its in its infancy this is only the beginning of what can be done ,beware when a thinker picks up this instrument the world of music as we know it will be changed. (it might be you)

User Info Menu

Great chart! thanks a lot

User Info Menu

You're welcome.

User Info Menu

Just check out the Berklee guitar method books and they will have all the info on position playing.

User Info Menu

I have my beginning students do this...

The three notes on each string (except G)...open position...

1st E F G

2nd B C D

3rd G A

4th D E F

5th A B C

6th E F G

All these are in the C scale..play from bottom to top then top to bottom...using only these notes

Now do it again from the 1st string to the 6th string but think the key of "G"...follow ...now all "Fs" are sharp

Again and think key of "F"...all "Bs" are flat...

Go through the cycle of 4ths and or 5ths with this..

Or chromatically when they have the cycle down...

Time on the instrument..Pierre...

User Info Menu

Nice Lesson Pierre.........

Sailor

User Info Menu

Thanks sailor...

I posted somwhere else here another one..

1st string only...open "E" to "E" 12th fret...only "C" scale tones

2nd string only..open "B" to "B" 12th fret...as above...

all six stings this way..

then go through the cycle of 4ths & 5ths as before...

helps learn the fingerboard...

time on the instrument..pierre..

User Info Menu

I dig all your suggestions. They may seem obvious but they're very helpful; we all approach things differently.

I'm starting to teach kids again; mel bay 1, alfreds 1 ?????????????

sailor