The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 132

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gingerjazz
    Hey TLT ,I have just got hold of the songbook that accompanies the MM book and the first song is one of my favorites ,St Thomas by Sonny Rollins,i found myself being able to read it and play it straight away,now that was a shock.This has definitely given me the boost i needed,showing me that the method does work outside the book on real jazz tunes.I am now looking forward to moving on in the book with more optimism and a belief that at the end of the three books with enough hard work we will be competent sight reading musicians with a thorough knowledge of the fingerboard.What a good do.Time for a whisky i think(Glenmorangie) note the Scottish spelling of whisky that my spellchecker is saying is incorrect.
    Hi Ginger, that's a great tune. Sonny is a real gem.

Hope you enjoyed your dram. You are quite correct - whisky is the Scottish spelling. Irish spelling is whiskey.

It would be great to know the whole fretboard, wouldn't it? Three books in three years.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hits the spot Will! I don't hear the rushing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    Hi Ginger, that's a great tune. Sonny is a real gem.

Hope you enjoyed your dram. You are quite correct - whisky is the Scottish spelling. Irish spelling is whiskey.

It would be great to know the whole fretboard, wouldn't it? Three books in three years.
    Hey TLT,three books in three years,that would be something,i really would not like to say if thats a practical goal or not.I suppose it might be if you can maintain your current rate of progress through it,but it all depends on if the book gets increasingly harder which it probably will.Oh well i suppose if i lay of the whisky i might just do it.Peace.

User Info Menu

...,but it all depends on if the book gets increasingly harder which it probably will....Peace.
    No that's not possible! Thumbs in ears, whistling loud. One page at a time. I think I can I know I can I think...

off to practice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Will Glen
    Here is my "interpretation" of You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves You from the last page of the Real Book.
    https://www.box.com/s/eb1b9f9924179a7c07e2
    An all-time favorite of mine - makes me wanna croon and croon. : ) You play very well, Mr. Glen.

Oh - and you got a DEAL when you bought the Leon White book. It starts as if you can't read at all and progresses through some difficult reading ("studio" level reading.) Maybe I'll work through my copy soon.

Keep playing, man. Sounds awesome.

kj

User Info Menu

Thought that was quite good actually, that swings.

Improvisation is it's own discipline. I don't think there's a book that can teach you. From my own attempts over the last few years, I wouldn't especially expect anything more than that from yourself - not for a long time and not unless you get a teacher.

Keep swingin' man!

Frank, you're a lot handsomer now. That goonie's just not your colour.
    Hey TLT stop flirting with frank its not that sort of forum. (Only kidding i guess i am just jealous that he is better looking than me,oops im at it now).

User Info Menu

Hey TLT stop flirting with frank its not that sort of forum. (Only kidding i guess i am just jealous that he is better looking than me,oops im at it now).

A lot of friends say to me, "Wow Frank you look great."

I feel like saying, "Compared to what? Compared to when I had cancer?" Ha ha.

I don't though, they might not appreciate the humor. Some folks don't think cancer jokes are funny. Go figure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep

A lot of friends say to me, "Wow Frank you look great."

I feel like saying, "Compared to what? Compared to when I had cancer?" Ha ha.

I don't though, they might not appreciate the humor. Some folks don't think cancer jokes are funny. Go figure.
    Yeah Frank,i know where your coming from man,as you know i too have been quite ill of late and the last thing you need is tea and sympathy,but people still steer clear of jokes about being ill,but i suppose they mean well.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thanks for reviving the thread oldhead. What a way to take a break! I wish I could play like that.

OK, oldhead, you've inspired me. Some recordings, from 25 graded pieces of plectrum guitar (Ingram):
    https://www.box.com/s/93ea0e68169cf3ecc1d6
    https://www.box.com/s/596200c3a857cebd975e

The waltz is a killer, and really not much of a break from Leavitt. Needs a lot of work. It would help if I knew the notes, for a start.
    Last edited by ten left thumbs; 06-15-2012 at 05:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for reviving the thread oldhead. What a way to take a break! I wish I could play like that.

OK, oldhead, you've inspired me. Some recordings, from 25 graded pieces of plectrum guitar (Ingram):
    https://www.box.com/s/93ea0e68169cf3ecc1d6
    https://www.box.com/s/596200c3a857cebd975e

The waltz is a killer, and really not much of a break from Leavitt. Needs a lot of work. It would help if I knew the notes, for a start.
    Okay. The waltz is more MM1 style, I guess - what I'm trying to get away from because I don't get it! I admire your chord reading. Hopefully, someday, I, too will be able to read.

The blusey thingee got my juices flowing. I really like it, so much that I jammed with it. (I don't mean to hijack your post and will delete the jam if you want). On the other hand, I'd be thrilled if you could send me the chord progression to this so I can play along with the whole piece.

Rather cool being able to jam with someone. I had actually mentioned early on that maybe someone could post in this thread one part of a piece and someone else could add to it.
    Thanks for posting these TLT.

https://www.box.com/s/67d0d3965d981d2f7892

I just listened to this with headphones and that acoustic is out a sight!
    Last edited by oldhead; 06-15-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: add

User Info Menu

Hey that's great Dave! Almost as good as being able to play together. Let's do this - only better. My time-keeping wasn't great (I rushed the rests) and it caused you problems.

I will work out the chords and post later.

Great idea!

User Info Menu

Hey that's great Dave! Almost as good as being able to play together. Let's do this - only better. My time-keeping wasn't great (I rushed the rests) and it caused you problems.

I will work out the chords and post later.

Great idea!
    Super!

User Info Menu

Hi Dave, here is my best guess at chords. Not guaranteed correct, so feel free to differ. Obviously, it's blues in G, but with some weird stuff.

1st chorus:
    G7 | G7 | G7 | G7 |
    C7 | C7 | G7 Ab7 G7 | F7 E7 |
    C6 | Cm | Bm7 Bb7 | Am7 D7 |

2nd chorus:
    G7 | G7 | G7 | G7 |
    A7 | D7 | Am7 Am7b5 | D7 G |

Bridge:
    G7 | G7 E7 | F#dim | B7 |
    Em7 | A7 | Am7 | D7 |

3rd chorus = same as second

I will re-record. We could post this also in the Ingram thread.

User Info Menu

Hey TLT and Old Head --

Uber Cool! This *would* be a fun thing to do, since we can overdub now.

I have a really good collection of "Jazz Guitar Duets" somewhere - maybe I can find them and scan them.

Good playing - both of you!

kj

User Info Menu

I like duets. Good idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldhead
    Rather cool being able to jam with someone. I had actually mentioned early on that maybe someone could post in this thread one part of a piece and someone else could add to it.
    Hey oldhead, we jammed together at post #20 of this thread:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/getti...s-67-69-a.html

I'm not sure you saw that.

User Info Menu

Hi oldhead, this may be a little better:

https://www.box.com/s/9d2a664eba4bce497b41

I just wish I was more reliable at hitting the right notes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Hey oldhead, we jammed together at post #20 of this thread:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/getti...s-67-69-a.html

I'm not sure you saw that.
    Wow, Thanks for pointing that out FEP. I totally missed it! And very cool sounding. I wish I could solo around chords like that. Maybe I should add rhythm to TLT's and you add solo?

User Info Menu

Now there's a good idea!

User Info Menu

Hi Dave, here is my best guess at chords. Not guaranteed correct, so feel free to differ. Obviously, it's blues in G, but with some weird stuff.

1st chorus:
    G7 | G7 | G7 | G7 |

2nd chorus:
    G7 | G7 | G7 | G7 |

Bridge:
    Em7 | A7 | Am7 | D7 |

=======================

Is this the chord progression you plan to use? These rhythm chords?

If so -- who's playing bass? Frank - you play bass. I can fake it with guitar and my effects board, but it would be bone-head simple.

***What's the Ingram thread?

kj

User Info Menu

Hi Kojo

Vic's groove is written out in standard notation in a book we have been discussing here:

25 Graded Pieces for Plectrum Guitar

There are no chords given. I have worked out chords as best I can, however they need a second opinion.

For a bass-line, it may be best to ignore some of the chords, ie for a bar G7 Ab7 G7, just play G7.

User Info Menu

Hi Kojo

Vic's groove is written out in standard notation in a book we have been discussing here:

There are no chords given. I have worked out chords as best I can, however they need a second opinion.

For a bass-line, it may be best to ignore some of the chords, ie for a bar G7 Ab7 G7, just play G7.
    Oh, all righty -- I gotcha.

User Info Menu

1st chorus:
    G7 | G7 | G7 | G7 |

2nd chorus:
    G7 | G7 | G7 | G7 |

Bridge:
    Em7 | A7 | Am7 | D7 |

TLT, could the F#dim be a Am7. The F#dim doesn't sound right to me.
    I'm working on this but having a few tempo problems.

And yes, what is the Ingram thread?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldhead
    TLT, could the F#dim be a Am7. The F#dim doesn't sound right to me.
    I'm working on this but having a few tempo problems.
    Could be an Am7b5. Melody notes are C and Eb, then B and D, then A and C, with an A in the bass.

And yes, what is the Ingram thread?