The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 132

User Info Menu

That's awesome Fep! I really appreciate it. I'm going to work on this and I really liked the way you are playing this tune. If you get time I would love to hear a full version.

I have a question on chord melody that is causing me confusion.

Generally speaking, how do you play chord melody when a melody note like a whole note taking up the full measure does not make up a note of the respective chord? Or in this instance, a dotted half note in 3/4 time.

In the 7th measure with the A-7b5 chord with the high D being the melody note held for a dotted half note. To the best of my knowledge a D is not in an A-7b5 chord.

I think this is correct below?
    Amin7b5
    1-b3-b5-b7
    A - C - Eb - G

When this occurs I hit a roadblock in my efforts to play both the melody and the chord at the same time??? Could really use some help. My gut is telling me that there is an alteration or perhaps another chord substitute or voicing that I could use that would include the D note? Is this what I need to begin looking at? I hope I'm making sense.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    That's awesome.
    Thanks fep. We enjoyed that, then he got tired of it. It was a favour to me for us to record it, then my hubby had to start clattering the dishes about at the same time.

User Info Menu

OK, I recorded melodic rhythms study #1 today - have been working on this for weeks, but you wouldn't know it for hearing it.

melodic rhythms 1.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

I had done a previous recording - slow and with metronome, that was just wo awful, so today I decided to try my hand without the metronome, and see what my rhythm's like without it. Answer - fairly bad! With the recording I posted here, I did the chords first, then played the melody over. Not perfect, but not nearly as bad as when I recorded the melody unaccompanied.

Anyway, I post here so I can say I'm done with that page and moving on. That study was really fiddly, and I think probably they all are.

Will: I'm looking forward to hearing Misty!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Will Glen
    That's awesome Fep! I really appreciate it. I'm going to work on this and I really liked the way you are playing this tune. If you get time I would love to hear a full version.

I have a question on chord melody that is causing me confusion.

Generally speaking, how do you play chord melody when a melody note like a whole note taking up the full measure does not make up a note of the respective chord? Or in this instance, a dotted half note in 3/4 time.

In the 7th measure with the A-7b5 chord with the high D being the melody note held for a dotted half note. To the best of my knowledge a D is not in an A-7b5 chord.

I think this is correct below?
    Amin7b5
    1-b3-b5-b7
    A - C - Eb - G

When this occurs I hit a roadblock in my efforts to play both the melody and the chord at the same time??? Could really use some help. My gut is telling me that there is an alteration or perhaps another chord substitute or voicing that I could use that would include the D note? Is this what I need to begin looking at? I hope I'm making sense.
    Hi Will,

Your spelling of Am7b5 is correct. Regarding your first question, I just use a voicing that I know and throw that melody note on top. Sometimes I have to 'invent' a voicing.

For the Am7b5 chord I just use this voicing:

x0788.10 this doesn't have the third which is a big no no as the third is important in defining the chord quality. I just like the way it sounds.

Another choice: x0.10.88.10 which does have all the notes.

Bbmaj7 x1323x

Ebm7/Bb x14341

Bbmaj7 Ebm/Bb Bbmaj7 Ebm/Bb

Am7b5 x0788.10

D7#9 x5456x to D7b9 x5454x

Gm7 3x333x

D7alt x5454x

Gm7 D7alt Gm7

C7 x35353

Ebmaj7 x11.11.11.12.14n (this is actually a Eb69(no root))

Ab9 x11.10.11.11x

Cm7b5 x3434x (am I chaging the melody note here? It's been a while since I've looked at the chart)

Bbmaj7/F 1x323x

Gb6 2x4341 (the first finger barres diagonally covering the 6th and the 1st string)

Gm7

C7

Fsus13 x8888.10

F13 1x1231

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    OK, I recorded melodic rhythms study #1 today - have been working on this for weeks, but you wouldn't know it for hearing it.

melodic rhythms 1.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

I had done a previous recording - slow and with metronome, that was just wo awful, so today I decided to try my hand without the metronome, and see what my rhythm's like without it. Answer - fairly bad! With the recording I posted here, I did the chords first, then played the melody over. Not perfect, but not nearly as bad as when I recorded the melody unaccompanied.

Anyway, I post here so I can say I'm done with that page and moving on. That study was really fiddly, and I think probably they all are.

Will: I'm looking forward to hearing Misty!
    Have you noticed that studying from Melodic Rhythms helps with MMI? I think it's great practice and when mixing the chords with the melody makes for a good time. Good work

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Hi Will,

Your spelling of Am7b5 is correct. Regarding your first question, I just use a voicing that I know and throw that melody note on top. Sometimes I have to 'invent' a voicing.

For the Am7b5 chord I just use this voicing:

x0788.10 this doesn't have the third which is a big no no as the third is important in defining the chord quality. I just like the way it sounds.

Another choice: x0.10.88.10 which does have all the notes.

Bbmaj7 x1323x

Ebm7/Bb x14341

Bbmaj7 Ebm/Bb Bbmaj7 Ebm/Bb

Am7b5 x0788.10

D7#9 x5456x to D7b9 x5454x

Gm7 3x333x

D7alt x5454x

Gm7 D7alt Gm7

C7 x35353

Ebmaj7 x11.11.11.12.14n (this is actually a Eb69(no root))

Ab9 x11.10.11.11x

Cm7b5 x3434x (am I chaging the melody note here? It's been a while since I've looked at the chart)

Bbmaj7/F 1x323x

Gb6 2x4341 (the first finger barres diagonally covering the 6th and the 1st string)

Gm7

C7

Fsus13 x8888.10

F13 1x1231
    Thanks Fep. I'm going to be trying to incorporate looking into adding the melody note on top of the given voicing to see what happens in the situation described. Makes perfect sense after reading it and just was not sure what was happening.

The beginnings of a chord melody TLT. Good work and keep doing them finger exercises everyday. Try to get them notes without any rests in between them and I think this will really add to the tune. Maybe play a chromatic scale up the neck, one finger per fret working on stopping the note milliseconds before the other note sounds. Need less rest between notes. Talk to you later and have a good one.
    Last edited by Will Glen; 04-15-2012 at 01:34 PM.

User Info Menu

The beginnings of a chord melody TLT. Good work and keep doing them finger exercises everyday. Try to get them notes without any rests in between them and I think this will really add to the tune. Maybe play a chromatic scale up the neck, one finger per fret working on stopping the note milliseconds before the other note sounds. Need less rest between notes. Talk to you later and have a good one.
    Hi Will, Yes I try. Legato's easier said than done. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

User Info Menu

Nice job TLT.

Sounds like the seed has been planted and I'll enjoy seeing this grow.

For me, there is nothing more satisfying than writing and recording my own music. Coming up with my own chord melody to a jazz standard comes pretty close to that experience.

User Info Menu

Thanks fep. It was more satisfying than playing something someone else had written down.

User Info Menu

I've been working on A Child is Born this last week per Fep's recommendation. I think I will try to tackle Misty next TLT. I need to listen alot more to some recordings of A Child is Born. Do you have a favorite recording for A Child is Born Fep that you like? Let me know. I really enjoy these beautiful melodies and ballads. It's rough but I'm going to keep working on it. Right now it is about all I can do to play the melody along with interspersing some chord strumming and trying to pick our surrounding notes that go well.

A Child is Born 4 23 2012 take II.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

That was beautiful Will.

User Info Menu

I've been working on A Child is Born this last week per Fep's recommendation. I think I will try to tackle Misty next TLT. I need to listen alot more to some recordings of A Child is Born. Do you have a favorite recording for A Child is Born Fep that you like? Let me know. I really enjoy these beautiful melodies and ballads. It's rough but I'm going to keep working on it. Right now it is about all I can do to play the melody along with interspersing some chord strumming and trying to pick our surrounding notes that go well.

A Child is Born 4 23 2012 take II.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Cool Will,

That sounds real nice.

User Info Menu

Will you inspired me, I just made an attempt at it.

A first draft, unrehearsed, I get lost and plenty sloppy.

And it's Rubato, which is to say I'm not good enough to improvise this and play in time at the same time.

User Info Menu

Really enjoyed it Fep. I'm going to be working on putting the melody notes on the higher strings. Talk to you later.

User Info Menu

Cool, Laura -- this tune just kills me; I never tire of it, ever. Good work, and congrats for the amazing progress you're making. Sounds good!

kj

User Info Menu

Here is some supplemental reading material I found recently while researching reading materials that also helps with developing technique. Pick strokes are included and very similar to what we are studying now around page 59 and what is coming with some of the reading studies.

Check out how he teaches using the right hand to pick all downstrokes and all upstrokes as ways to develop the right hand along with alternate and down, down up etc. The all upstrokes is something I've not seen before and it after practicing all upstrokes for a period of time I can notice more fluency with alternate picking and all downstroke picking mixed with alternate picking. Try it. It really makes you economize your right hand picking motion and I you will notice how practicing all upstrokes will improve your alternate picking. The material also includes arpeggios and alot of sixteenth note rythmic work. Pretty cool material to practice a little bit each day.

As we move to the 2nd position and begin practice stretching/shifting (depending how you approach playing in multiple positions), there is alot of etudes here that are great to work on. You can also use them to practice rolling your finger as Leavitt suggests when notes are next to each other.

https://www.box.com/s/7eb45f86522e725f8e63
    Last edited by Will Glen; 05-03-2012 at 07:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Will, that's incredibly helpful, thankyou.

User Info Menu

hi ive been studing the diatonic triad and major 7th modal chords, with great pleasure, im now looking for a pdf or a book where i can find the 6ths 9th 11ths and 13ths progressions and how they work in with the modes.... thanks

User Info Menu

Hey TLT ,I have just got hold of the songbook that accompanies the MM book and the first song is one of my favorites ,St Thomas by Sonny Rollins,i found myself being able to read it and play it straight away,now that was a shock.This has definitely given me the boost i needed,showing me that the method does work outside the book on real jazz tunes.I am now looking forward to moving on in the book with more optimism and a belief that at the end of the three books with enough hard work we will be competent sight reading musicians with a thorough knowledge of the fingerboard.What a good do.Time for a whisky i think(Glenmorangie) note the Scottish spelling of whisky that my spellchecker is saying is incorrect.
    Last edited by gingerjazz; 05-16-2012 at 06:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tweed1
    hi ive been studing the diatonic triad and major 7th modal chords, with great pleasure, im now looking for a pdf or a book where i can find the 6ths 9th 11ths and 13ths progressions and how they work in with the modes.... thanks
    That's one you should figure out for yourself. Paul Desmond said an interesting thing: Jazz is like writing. It can be learned, but it can't be taught.

If you figure it out for yourself, you will hear it, which is really the only important thing for music. You will also own it, and you will have your own take on it. Leavitt's approach to harmony is applicable to modal playing as well, I've found.

User Info Menu

For those (like me) learning to sight-read, I think there's no better book than Leon White's *awesome* Sight to Sound. This book fits right in with Leavitt in that White advocates and teaches position playing as a way of sight-reading, and the fingerings he uses are essentially Leavitt's -- finger stretches, opposed to shifts (in caged-like systems.)

White's book was among my dad's big trunk o' guitar junk, is from the 1970s, and was published by Dale Zdenek, original publisher of Ted Greene's great books.

Go to abebooks.com -- there are a couple there, CHEAP. $7.98 each I thik. Check Alibris.com and Amazon. (Warning: some of Leon White's books - Styles for the Studio, for one - are going to $150 - $200. Grab this one while it's cheap.)

This link works the day of this posting: Leon White - Sight to Sound - Zdenek - AbeBooks

User Info Menu

Leon White is a very cool dude.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Leon White is a very cool dude.
    His book "Styles for the Studio" is possibly my favorite guitar book. What a shame it isn't in print -- or did they bring it back? A few of the old DZ books they re-published, thank God. This one is worth its weight in gold.

At abebooks and Alibris.com, I've seen it for $160, $225, etc. A little staple-stitched book!

(White says, "There is but one way to pick the strings of a guitar." (Elbow, floating, etc. He's big on rules.)

Yes - cool.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the lead Kojo. Sounds like a good one to practice with. Ordered a copy to practice as a supplement to Leavitt.

User Info Menu

Here is my "interpretation" of You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves You from the last page of the Real Book. I listened to some versions on Youtube and tried to follow the melody as best as I could and put some licks in it and tried to mix up the rhythm some. I like this tune alot and enjoy playing it.

After listening to myself I hear myself rushing through parts and slowing down. I recorded this without a metronome.

https://www.box.com/s/eb1b9f9924179a7c07e2