The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

As Marty pointed out, we are 1/4 of the way through the book.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good thing I worked ahead last week. Turns out I've got a really busy next two weeks.

Page, 32, Duet in G

Page 32, Duet in G (1).mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Last edited by oldhead; 03-06-2012 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Delete

User Info Menu

Oldhead, that was beautiful!

Quarter way through the book, almost a quarter way through the year...

Will try to embed a video:

and another:

Last edited by ten left thumbs; 03-07-2012 at 02:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldhead
    Good thing I worked ahead last week. Turns out I've got a really busy next two weeks.

Page, 32, Duet in G

Bravo, that was really well done.

The timing, a fast tempo, I found myself taping my foot every two beats, you phrased it that way. It grooves, really good time.

I like the soft RH touch, your guitar sounds really good when played that way.

Very musical.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    Oldhead, that was beautiful!

Quarter way through the book, almost a quarter way through the year...

Will try to embed a video:

and another:

Thanks for the comment, TLT. And thank you for the theory lessons. I think it's starting to click about the minor thirds, etc. It's nice having someone answer the "how this chord becomes diminished, etc." The stacking minor thirds really drove it home. I think Leavitt has a great method for learning to read, find the notes and more but he doesn't really get into the "why" or "how" of the chords. It's nice to have that understanding. Your time and efforts are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Bravo, that was really well done.

The timing, a fast tempo, I found myself taping my foot every two beats, you phrased it that way. It grooves, really good time.

I like the soft RH touch, your guitar sounds really good when played that way.

Very musical.
    Thanks for those confidence builders, FEP. This course is just what I needed. I downloaded your Autumn Leaves PDF. Wow-Key of G; I know that key. It was really nice being able to actually read the notes and play it right off the bat without a lot of fumbling around - not that it sounded great, but I was able to "read" through it and play it, which is something I could not have done before starting this study group. Some of the chords were unfamiliar but I was able to find fingerings for those and can kind of play through them. Hope to work on it when I get more time.
    As with TLT, thanks for taking your time to listen to all of us and give your critiques and opinions. BTW, I go in for my first birthday check next week.

User Info Menu

BTW, I go in for my first birthday check next week.
    Wow, wow, WOW!

Does that mean what I think it means?

Congratulations brother, I hope it goes real well.

User Info Menu

Page, 32, Duet in G

Good job! The timing, dynamics and strums are steady. I'm hearing it a little slower but I like your tempo.

I noticed you did the fast strums on the chords, except in m.m. 10,11,21,22 where it feels more like the slow strum. I like both and they sound good.

Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

Wow, wow, WOW!

Does that mean what I think it means?

Congratulations brother, I hope it goes real well.
    Means what you think. I go every 3 months. 3/20 is the 1 yr.
    I shouted a big YES when I read your post of 2/20.
    I appreciate your thoughts. Will let you know what happens.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty W
    Good job! The timing, dynamics and strums are steady. I'm hearing it a little slower but I like your tempo.

I noticed you did the fast strums on the chords, except in m.m. 10,11,21,22 where it feels more like the slow strum. I like both and they sound good.

Thanks for posting!
    Hi, Marty W.
    First, you asked in a previous post about my muting technique. Honestly, I have no technique, but since that question I've been trying to pay more attention to how/what I'm doing. It seems I use the pad of my r pinky and pad of the side of my hand, albeit unconsciously. I didn't start or pay attention to muting from the beginning. I guess I should have. It will be part of my work in progress.

I'm about 1 to 2 BPM slow from the CD I have, which apparently isn't the same one others have. I notice the tempo on the CD varies a bit also. My CD has no instructions, just someone playing the exercises. Maybe it's an old copy or pirated. I actually didn't listen to the CD until I read your post. I was playing at a speed that sounded good to my ears at the time.

As far as fast/slow strums, I don't really pay attention to the speed of the strums. I guess I'm more concentrating on reading the music and playing by feel and what I think sounds good to me at the time rather than by techniques. If I record the same exercise three times, I can guarantee it will have three different sounds, depending on what I'm hearing and feeling at the time. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. Going back and listening, I hear what you're talking about. Even though it wasn't intended, they seem to fit okay in those measures. I'll have to try to pay more attention to technique.

Thanks for the time you spend listening and critiquing not only mine, but everyone's recordings, and the specificity with which you do it. I learn by listening to the recordings and reading all the critiques.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comment, TLT. And thank you for the theory lessons. I think it's starting to click about the minor thirds, etc. It's nice having someone answer the "how this chord becomes diminished, etc." The stacking minor thirds really drove it home. I think Leavitt has a great method for learning to read, find the notes and more but he doesn't really get into the "why" or "how" of the chords. It's nice to have that understanding. Your time and efforts are appreciated.
    Thankyou for saying so, and you're welcome. It is a new venture for me to put videos together, and I ask myself all sorts of questions, like what to do, what speed to go, etc. Also, I am not sure it is so obvious if you don't play piano - I mean, the intervals are obvious to me, but maybe that's just me!

A question for all thread-goers: is there any specific theory topic you would like me to address? We have, at this point, covered much of the basics, and it would be possible to do many things, limited only by my incomplete knowledge.

And oldhead, happy birthday to you too! May you also live to 120.

User Info Menu

I was playing around with effects trying to make a bigger sound

User Info Menu

I'm guessing that's chorus effect. It really does give it a bigger sound. I also like that relaxed tempo and the way you end the piece. Great interpretation, IMHO. Makes me want to do a re-do.

Was that a dub at 41? Saw something on third look.
    Last edited by oldhead; 03-08-2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: add

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I'm about 1 to 2 BPM slow from the CD I have, which apparently isn't the same one others have. I notice the tempo on the CD varies a bit also. My CD has no instructions, just someone playing the exercises. Maybe it's an old copy or pirated. I actually didn't listen to the CD until I read your post. I was playing at a speed that sounded good to my ears at the time.

As far as fast/slow strums, I don't really pay attention to the speed of the strums. I guess I'm more concentrating on reading the music and playing by feel and what I think sounds good to me at the time rather than by techniques. If I record the same exercise three times, I can guarantee it will have three different sounds, depending on what I'm hearing and feeling at the time. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. Going back and listening, I hear what you're talking about. Even though it wasn't intended, they seem to fit okay in those measures. I'll have to try to pay more attention to technique.
    Thanks for the info oldhead. I don't have the CD and was referring to what felt right to me. Don't think there's any right or wrong tempo with these exercises. All that matters is it sounds and feels good, and yours does.

What I noticed when practicing the strums is sometimes I strike right on the beat, which makes a fast strum. And sometimes I start about a half beat early, which makes a slower strum. After I figured that out I was able to be more consistent with both of them.

Don't get too caught up with the techniques. The most important things are the notes and timing, everything else is a work in progress.

User Info Menu

I'm guessing that's chorus effect. It really does give it a bigger sound. I also like that relaxed tempo and the way you end the piece. Great interpretation, IMHO. Makes me want to do a re-do.

Was that a dub at 41? Saw something on third look.
    Yep, stereo chorus, delay and reverb.

Thanks for listening and the review.

Not a dub at 41, the video shifts from showing Guitar 1 to showing Guitar 2 at 41. I wanted to see if I could do that. It takes a bit of trial and error to get it all to line up with the separate audio track that I bring in from Reaper. I record the video simultaneously with recording to Reaper software, that's how I do the two audio tracks with one video. I mute the audio on the video file and bring in the separate audio file.

Actually I wanted a split screen, but I have to try to add a third party plug-in to the free Windows Movie Maker to make that happen.

User Info Menu

P 33, Picking Etude No. 2
    Man, I started this at what felt like break-neck speed but just kept going.
    Not perfect by any stretch, but I got through it.
    Running out of time, so thought I'd post. If time permits maybe I'll re-do.
    p 33 Picking Etude.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

After going back and listening, it doesn't sound all that fast, but sure seemed it when playing it.!!?!??
    Last edited by oldhead; 03-09-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: comment added

User Info Menu

My Attempts:

User Info Menu

My Attempts:

Attempts? Great sound. Both sound very clean, and I really like the tempos you choose for these exercises. I think I've got to slow down; it would make life a little easier and might help me attain that more "clean" sound. Always learning from you and others on this thread!
    I didn't hear the Ritard on the second one. Was that intended?

User Info Menu

Well done fep. I didn't notice any timing issues. I think I hear a few different speeds on your strums but they all sound good. As long as they're smooth and the dynamics match the melody, variation is probably a good thing.

Good job oldhead, thanks for posting. You kept the parts together really well. I assume you're not using a click track since you did a nice ritard. The guitar sounds good also.

I'm wondering if it's a little rushed? Not too fast, just too much on top of the beat. Not sure, but that was the feeling I got. Pretty sure the 1/8 notes in m.14 are rushed.

My Attempts:

The etude sounds nice. I found this one challenging to do without adding too much extra string noise. You chose not to take the repeats but I'm sure you saw them.

I like the feel of Another Duet in G. My only critique is (part 1) beat 1 on m.6 and m.17 seem a little late. I had a hard time grooving that high G. I was hoping for a ritard on the end.

Thanks for taking the time to post video. I'll get around to that one of these weeks.

After going back and listening, it doesn't sound all that fast, but sure seemed it when playing it.!!?!??
    It's fast but doesn't sound like you're struggling with it. I don't think I could play it mistake-free no matter what tempo. Just too many moving parts!

User Info Menu

Nice playing on all three Marty. I thought they sounded really good.
    I do have a question. I noticed on the Picking Etude that both you and FEP seem to let the G ring though on the first two lines without trying to mute. I was trying to mute, though not all that successful at times. When do you mute and when do you not mute? I thought the tie line indicated to let the C ring on the rest of the exercise. Maybe I just don't understand, so any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks for posting, and congrats on making it though 1/4 of the book.
    Thanks oldhead. I practiced muting on the G's and the C's but decided to let them ring during the recording because it sounded better.

I don't think he's indicating a tie with the C note, he's just reminding us not to pick up our finger. That's why it's different than the G. But I could be wrong.

As far as overall muting. My feeling is unless there is a rest indicating exactly when to stop the strings, or if the notes clash together (like an open B with a fretted Bb) then muting is optional. Whatever sounds best.

User Info Menu

ha ha, somehow you pulled off that ritard at the end beautifully. Do you have a conductor?

Nice job, the tempo was fast so I found it more comfortable to tap my foot in 2 instead of 4. I think there was a missed note in the last few measures. No biggie. Really good job.

User Info Menu

Well done. It didn't sound like it was too fast for you.

(Those big string skips are tough for me, maybe it's that this new picking technique that I don't have down yet... yep that's what I'll blame it on )

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Duet in G, 1st measure of the 4th system, I heard a bit of a timing issue. Other than that it sounds real good. What's the jingle sound at 00:31? I've heard that before on one of your recordings. I'm going to guess it's a dog.
    Thanks. My wife, daughter and dog came home right in the middle of my take. She's a chihuahua/terrier mix. Lot's of energy!

Duet in G sounds great. Really steady. You're a little inconsistent yet with your strums but most are right on. Sometimes you start the strum too early, which is the same problem I have. Extra credit for not losing it when your clock was chiming!

Picking Etude No. 2. Again, really steady and consistent. Sounded like you hit a wrong note on the last line but you landed on your feet.

Another Duet in G. Good job. Didn't hear any timing issues. A little hiccup in part 2, system 3, m.3 (I think that's how fep says it) but you kept it going. Sounds like you're ready to go a little faster.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty W
    Thanks. My wife, daughter and dog came home right in the middle of my take. She's a chihuahua/terrier mix. Lot's of energy!

Duet in G sounds great. Really steady. You're a little inconsistent yet with your strums but most are right on. Sometimes you start the strum too early, which is the same problem I have. Extra credit for not losing it when your clock was chiming!

Picking Etude No. 2. Again, really steady and consistent. Sounded like you hit a wrong note on the last line but you landed on your feet.

Another Duet in G. Good job. Didn't hear any timing issues. A little hiccup in part 2, system 3, m.3 (I think that's how fep says it) but you kept it going. Sounds like you're ready to go a little faster.
    Thanks for pointing those out Marty. I'll work on them this week. I agree, I need to start playing at faster tempos as well. Have a good one.