The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Hello everyone - I really appreciate that this is going on...thanks FEP for emceeing.

I hope everyone doesn't mind me jumping in here...

I have been hacking at the guitar for many years, I actually started on the Modern Method back in the 70's as a child..., but never made it to the 2nd position part of the book. I would like to follow along and figure this will be a good way to pace myself.

I'm not quite comfortable yet posting my practice, but I do have a question...

On "Another Duet in G", the last beat of the 4th measure there is circled "4" under the D# . What does that signify?

Thanks again everyone participating.

Ken

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kennyg
    Hello everyone - I really appreciate that this is going on...thanks FEP for emceeing.

I hope everyone doesn't mind me jumping in here...

I have been hacking at the guitar for many years, I actually started on the Modern Method back in the 70's as a child..., but never made it to the 2nd position part of the book. I would like to follow along and figure this will be a good way to pace myself.

I'm not quite comfortable yet posting my practice, but I do have a question...

On "Another Duet in G", the last beat of the 4th measure there is circled "4" under the D# . What does that signify?

Thanks again everyone participating.

Ken
    Hi Ken,

It's great to have you on board. Since you've already gone thru this part of the book, I'm hoping you can join in with the 'start group' (i.e. those that are the furthest along). I think having more folks actively posting increases the value of these threads.

The last note of m.4 of the first staff: The 4 with the circle means to play it on the 4th string, the 1 above the note means to play it with your first finger.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Hi Ken,

It's great to have you on board. Since you've already gone thru this part of the book, I'm hoping you can join in with the 'start group' (i.e. those that are the furthest along). I think having more folks actively posting increases the value of these threads.

The last note of m.4 of the first staff: The 4 with the circle means to play it on the 4th string, the 1 above the note means to play it with your first finger.

Cheers
    Thanks fep- that is obvious now that you say it... ("4")
    I find that the fingerings are very easy for me, but I'm playing the duet at about 80bpm and I find myself anticipating the beat too much.

I will look for the "start group". I didn't want to get too ahead of myself, though.

Ken

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kennyg
    Thanks fep- that is obvious now that you say it... ("4")
    I find that the fingerings are very easy for me, but I'm playing the duet at about 80bpm and I find myself anticipating the beat too much.

I will look for the "start group". I didn't want to get too ahead of myself, though.

Ken
    The start group is just a little ahead of this thread. And review is a big part of the MM1 book. So, I think it all should work out for you real well. And, perhaps being part of the start group will be more motivating for you.

User Info Menu

Hey ! How can I jion in with you guys?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chancho
    Hey ! How can I jion in with you guys?
    absolutely

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/getti...ges-1-8-a.html
    Last edited by Will Glen; 03-25-2012 at 06:24 PM.

User Info Menu

hi! picking etude #2!

User Info Menu

My version of Duet in G at 71 Bpm.
    Slow tempo taking any chance of flow out of the tune. At the same time, next review needs to be slower for now. Technique/coordination doesn't feel right yet.

Note to self: get a rounder pick and set sound a little less trebly
    Last edited by Langs; 03-09-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: less not les

User Info Menu

P33 - Picking Etude nr 2. Wanted to use the laptop's mic recording the sound out of my amp. Only to record much of my computer's fans blowing. Sorry about that.

User Info Menu

Here's p34, Another Duet in G:

Self Critique: Played quite choppy and harsh pick. Also balance in guitars volume-wise is a little of whack.

User Info Menu

Thank you very much for your effort guys! I really appreciate it!
    Last edited by Kancho; 03-20-2014 at 07:45 AM.

User Info Menu

I started on the Picking Etude 2 Saturday night with my metronome set to 40 BPM. After putting in 3 solid hours with it I still am not ready to speed up the beat. I'm going to dedicate another hour to it right after I post this.

User Info Menu

hey, i'm not sure if these study groups are still active, but I've been working through modern method and got a little confused on Duet in G.

This is probably (certainly) a dumb question, but in the first line 3rd measure, I can't seem to figure out why the notes B and D are being played on the 3rd and 4th frets rather just an open G and D .

i'm sure there is a simple explanation that I somehow overlooked in the previous lessons.

in any case, these study groups (even though already completed) have been tremendously helpful and motivating for me, so thanks.
    Last edited by ryu; 04-19-2016 at 05:36 AM.