The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 62

User Info Menu

Off we go...

Page 27, Picking Etude No. 1 and Etude

and Pages 26 & 27 Two, Two (duet)

Edit (Oldhead, I just played thru this weeks pieces without using my LH index finger, it can be done )
    Last edited by fep; 02-20-2012 at 11:36 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I haven't really looked at them yet, but I'll give it a try. I played golf with a guy this summer that only had one arm. It was absolutely amazing how he overcame that handicap. 220 yards straight down the fairways off the tees.
    I guess where there's a will there's a way. Thanks for going through that exercise and letting me know.

User Info Menu

Hi Oldhead, I managed p27 and the lower part of Two two without index finger. For the upper part, I got as far as the F chord, and stopped. But you may be able to bar with it, depending on where the cut is. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    Hi Oldhead, I managed p27 and the lower part of Two two without index finger. For the upper part, I got as far as the F chord, and stopped. But you may be able to bar with it, depending on where the cut is. Good luck!
    Thanks, TLT. I can bar the first one, but measure 15 and 19 are going to give me a little trouble. I also think I can do the picking exercise and etude.
    It's little weird using my second finger to play the C. The good thing is it doesn't look like I'm going to really have any down time like I thought.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldhead
    Thanks, TLT. I can bar the first one, but measure 15 and 19 are going to give me a little trouble.
    Because you come from the G? This duet is so much same old same old you could miss that F and pick it up later when you're healed up, no problem. Or you could just do a C and A and miss out the root (F). New things here are the Dmin (bar 3) and the Bb combos in bars 12 and 16.

User Info Menu

I'm curious what, if any, muting techniques people are using for the etudes on page 27 (Picking Etude No. 1 & Etude). Specifically for the open notes on the G string. Are you using the palm of your right hand, using another technique, or just letting the string ring out?

Also, is anybody else finding it difficult to adjust to 2/2 time?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jsepguitar
    I'm curious what, if any, muting techniques people are using for the etudes on page 27 (Picking Etude No. 1 & Etude). Specifically for the open notes on the G string. Are you using the palm of your right hand, using another technique, or just letting the string ring out?

Sorry, I'm going to come across as a lazy sod. I don't mute there. And I count 2/2 as 4/4.

I don't get it. He covers 2/2 which to all intents and purposes hasn't existed for about the last 200 years, but doesn't cover 6/8.

I know, someone's going to find something written in 2/2 in the last 200 years, but my point it that it could as easily be written in 4/4 or 2/4. With slow, medieval-type chants I can see the point in 2/2, just.

The man in the dvd is priceless. He starts out showing you how to count in 2/2 and going into the theory or it all. Then he shows you how you can just count in 4/4.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jsepguitar

I think fep said this in another thread but I don't *think* we are supposed to mute on this exercise. The only place it's indicated is the lower voice in m.m. 4, 10, 12, 16 & 20. We're told to mute the open G note in each of those bars.

Edit: after looking at it again I think the rests might just be there to indicate that he's leaving out the note in the lower voice. But I really don't know.

I do this by using the thumb of my picking hand as I'm playing the next note. IOW... in m.4 as I'm playing the half notes C & E, I will stop the previous G from ringing with my thumb. Hopefully! My goal is to not have any silence between the notes but not let them ring together.

Having said that, for practice purposes I am muting all the the notes just to get better at doing it. It's cruel and unusual punishment!

The 2/2 was hard at first. I started at 50 bpm.

Question for the rest of the group: Is 2/2 the same as cut time? I've never really understood that.
    Last edited by Marty W; 02-22-2012 at 01:04 PM.

User Info Menu

In the Etude on page 27 I'm confused as to where to start the ritards. Does he want us to start on beat 4 of m.11 and beat 2 of m.19?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty W
    In the Etude on page 27 I'm confused as to where to start the ritards. Does he want us to start on beat 4 of m.11 and beat 2 of m.19?

Thanks!
    I'd say so, or 3rd beat of m.19.

User Info Menu

Tried a different picking technique, often called the benson technique where you hold the pick differently and roll your wrist so the palm of your hand is pointing more upward. The picking motion becomes more like taping your finger or like striking a piano key. Just experimenting with this technique.

Recorded on my laptop, just a webcam and webcam mic. (No other software. Marty, no reverb )

Last edited by fep; 02-24-2012 at 03:57 AM.

User Info Menu

While 2/2 is not the same as cut time, both are counted the same way. Writing is cut time looks less complicated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    While 2/2 is not the same as cut time, both are counted the same way. Writing is cut time looks less complicated.
    Thanks Ron but I'm not sure what you mean, can you clarify a little?

On page 28 the exercise Two,Two has the C with the vertical line through it in the time signature. In the written notes Leavitt says C with line = 2/2. How would cut time be indicated?

User Info Menu

Pages 28, 29, Two, Two (Duet) I counted 2/2, just because this is about learning to read and thought it would be a good exercise.

Pg 28, 29, Two Two (Duet).mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Tried a different picking technique, often called the benson technique where you hold the pick differently and roll your wrist so the palm of your hand is pointing more upward. The picking motion becomes more like taping your finger or like striking a piano key. Just experimenting with this technique.

Recorded on my laptop, just a webcam and webcam mic. (No other software. Marty, no reverb )

Hi fep. Thanks for posting, sounds great even without reverb. I did notice in m.4 you played the B on the 2nd string instead of the 3rd string as written. And at the same time, we're supposed to hold the C and E notes for 2 beats.

User Info Menu

C with the line through it is "cut" time, counted in two. This gives the quarter notes the same value as 1/8 notes in 4/4 time. It's hard to explain, but psychologically, cut feels different from 4/4 or even 2/4.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    C with the line through it is "cut" time, counted in two. This gives the quarter notes the same value as 1/8 notes in 4/4 time. It's hard to explain, but psychologically, cut feels different from 4/4 or even 2/4.
    Thanks, yeah I can understand that. I see it written like that in some country and bluegrass songs. I was confused when you said 2/2 was different than cut time.

User Info Menu

Oldhead - that sounds very musical! Somehow it reminds me of the music to childrens' programmes when I was young. How's the finger?

fep - Funny, I've been experimenting with the same thing, in terms of hand angle. It feels very different, but I still don't think I'm doing it right! You cope with a good tempo on this one, it's not easy at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    Oldhead - that sounds very musical! Somehow it reminds me of the music to childrens' programmes when I was young. How's the finger?
    Thanks, TLT. I was really striving for musicality in this one, so your comment is very encouraging. I really like this piece. I had Liquid Bandage with clear fingernail polish on top to play this week. Wanted to get the misstrokes and stumbles out of this before I posted but took my wife for emergency appendectomy last night. Recorded this between trips to the hospital today.
    So the finger is good and my wife is on the mend.

User Info Menu

Hi fep. Thanks for posting, sounds great even without reverb. I did notice in m.4 you played the B on the 2nd string instead of the 3rd string as written. And at the same time, we're supposed to hold the C and E notes for 2 beats.
    You're moving on that one, FEP, and it sounds good. I like the pause before the last chord. I do have a question. I thought the squiggly line (I don't know what it's called) before the last chord indicates a glide across the strings so every note sounds individually, and to my ear it seems like you have more of a strum. That's not meant as a nit, just a question. Are things like this left up to interpretation?

User Info Menu

Had a big aha! moment yesterday when practicing the wretched rest stroke. I'm prone to strumming too slow sometimes and inconsistent volume. What I noticed was I wasn't strumming too slow, I was starting too soon.

I was focused on how fast I should be strumming and I needed to focus on when to begin the strum. The speed takes care of itself because we have to end in the right spot for the melody to be in place.

As soon as I started thinking about the beginning of the strum instead of the end, the consistency got better. The most important thing is now I know why I miss sometimes. I still like the slow strum for putting feeling into a song but now I can choose between the 2.

I start the slow strum around the middle of the beat and end on the downbeat:

Code:
    1   &   2
         --->
    With the fast strum I strum on the downbeat:

Code:
    1   &   2
            >
    It seems obvious now but was an epiphany at the time!

Here's a quick demo of the 2 strums:

User Info Menu

I'm going to practice that Marty. I like it. Thanks for sharing bro.

User Info Menu

Thanks, TLT. I was really striving for musicality in this one, so your comment is very encouraging. I really like this piece. I had Liquid Bandage with clear fingernail polish on top to play this week. Wanted to get the misstrokes and stumbles out of this before I posted but took my wife for emergency appendectomy last night. Recorded this between trips to the hospital today.
    So the finger is good and my wife is on the mend.
    You are most welcome. Clearly a cut on a fretting finger and an emergency appendectomy were all you needed to bring the musicality out. Let's hope it doesn't always need to be so dramatic. My best wishes for your and your wife's recovery. And don't forget to let that cut breathe.

User Info Menu

It seems obvious now but was an epiphany at the time!
    Aren't these moments amazing? What I notice is a moment like that only happens when you've got the technical skill to back it up - in this case starting and ending on the intended strings without too much thought.

User Info Menu

Pages 28, 29, Two, Two (Duet) I counted 2/2, just because this is about learning to read and thought it would be a good exercise.

Pg 28, 29, Two Two (Duet).mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    That was really good and fund to listen too.

Now a couple of nits:

It sounded to me like it sped up during the 7th system. Was this without a metronome?

m.1 of last system and m.4 of the last system, the notes on the third beat where cut short (good job on the rests on the 2nd beat though, that sounded cool).