The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 62 of 62
    Yes , I think you`re right. Thanks a lot for answering.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

On the picking etude are we supposed to play the G string with a rest or a free stroke? I mean the g note that keeps being played alternating with the chords.

User Info Menu

This is p27 'Etude'

This video is half a year old; from the time I was recording but not posting. Another catch-up post if you will.

Self critique: my left and right hand obviously don't seem very well synchronised. Its a very unforgiving piece I find it to be. For my next review, I need to take the tempo down an really focus on cleanliness of notes more.

User Info Menu

I had to make a new recording for p27 'Picking Etude nr 1' so I have a chance to express how I'm going about it now. For me this is almost entirely an exercise in left hand technique (read: position shifting)

Especially Measure 6 B 3 and 4 where we are being asked to use our 3rd and 4th finger. To really do well, I need to spend some time executing the position shift really slow until my fingers land on the new frets with ease.

User Info Menu

The last one for this thread: Two, two on page 28-29 (At least in my book). It's long! My self critique is mainly keeping focus throughout the piece. Starting off is pretty ok, but after a while the notes get a little weird and seem just notes to wade through. So I start sounding kind of lost I guess.

User Info Menu

How did you count the etude? Is it only me, or is it really sloppy written?

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 27 to 29-screen-shot-2018-09-10-10-36-33-jpg

Like this?

You've got it. That kind of 2-voice thing can be confusing to see at first, but it's the way to notate it. They can actually get a lot more complex than that that. Try to hear each part as a separate voice, letting the quarter notes ring a full great etc.

What you have written in is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by znerken
    How did you count the etude? Is it only me, or is it really sloppy written?

A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 27 to 29-screen-shot-2018-09-10-10-36-33-jpg

Like this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    You've got it. That kind of 2-voice thing can be confusing to see at first, but it's the way to notate it. They can actually get a lot more complex than that that. Try to hear each part as a separate voice, letting the quarter notes ring a full great etc.

What you have written in is correct.

Thank you!

User Info Menu

The next question, is the dynamics indication in the next piece. I see many many people just ignore this(at least if I hear correct). Even in the DVD, I think it's not taken into consideration.

So my question is, when you have reached the pppp part of the dynamics indication, do you stay there, or do you revert back to normal volume? Cause if not, then you stay at a soft volume, for a big piece of the sheet music. A Modern Method for Guitar Vol 1 Pages 27 to 29-screen-shot-2018-09-11-10-09-43-jpg

The entire next page, except the last bars, will also be soft then?

User Info Menu

Yes, revert back. Your first instincts were correct.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Yes, revert back. Your first instincts were correct.

Okay, thank you. I can understand why many people chose/choose to ignore it though. It's kind of a distraction when you try to learn/perform the material.

User Info Menu

Something I found out is 2/2 or cut time.

Depends on how stubborn you are, but cut time makes things a lot easier to read.

I'm happy with square time in either case.

But there's so much less ink to get past in cut-time.

Regards,

Russ