The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 62

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldhead
    You're moving on that one, FEP, and it sounds good. I like the pause before the last chord. I do have a question. I thought the squiggly line (I don't know what it's called) before the last chord indicates a glide across the strings so every note sounds individually, and to my ear it seems like you have more of a strum. That's not meant as a nit, just a question. Are things like this left up to interpretation?
    Thanks. Whether things like this are up for interpretation... I'd say for practicing technique on these exercises, I feel mostly the markings shouldn't be left up to interpretation. However a Ritard is something that is an interpretation. So I thing the pause is fine. I should have done the slow strum though, that's not up for interpretation.

As a performance, I think almost the performance should be up for interpretation (although a composer might not agree). I still should have done the slow strum.

Yeah, what are those squiggly line things called?

Quote Originally Posted by Marty W
    Hi fep. Thanks for posting, sounds great even without reverb. I did notice in m.4 you played the B on the 2nd string instead of the 3rd string as written. And at the same time, we're supposed to hold the C and E notes for 2 beats.
    Thanks Marty,

Oops, you are right, I messed that up.

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    fep - Funny, I've been experimenting with the same thing, in terms of hand angle. It feels very different, but I still don't think I'm doing it right! You cope with a good tempo on this one, it's not easy at all.
    Thanks TTL,

It is very different than the other ways of picking. To do it, you hold the pick differently and the alignment of your wrist/hand is different. And, the wrist motion is different. For me, the 'swing thought' of tapping my index finger is what I think about.

I'm going to do a video on this...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty W
    Had a big aha! moment yesterday when practicing the wretched rest stroke. I'm prone to strumming too slow sometimes and inconsistent volume. What I noticed was I wasn't strumming too slow, I was starting too soon.
    Yes that is a good idea. You know this is the kind of thing that I never thought of and the type a thing a teacher might not realize. The power of a study group.

I call these kind of ideas 'swing thoughts' (a term borrowed from golf).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    That was really good and fund to listen too.

Now a couple of nits:

It sounded to me like it sped up during the 7th system. Was this without a metronome?

m.1 of last system and m.4 of the last system, the notes on the third beat where cut short (good job on the rests on the 2nd beat though, that sounded cool).
    I totally agree with your nits. It did speed up. No metronome. Tempo is something I have to work on, for sure, but when I play with the metronome it just sounds too mechanical.
    I did cut a couple notes short. Getting through that whole piece, in one piece, so to speak, was difficult for me.
    Thanks for the comments; I appreciate your critiques.

User Info Menu

My attempt:

I used that thought of when to start the strum as Marty had pointed out. I think I got the strums to sound closer to one sound for the most part. Thanks Marty

User Info Menu

Is that a new guitar? How does it feel to play?

One thing I have noticed is the more I angle my hand palm-up, the upstrokes get a bit more juice behind them, and I feel like swinging it more.

User Info Menu

My attempt:

I used that thought of when to start the strum as Marty had pointed out. I think I got the strums to sound closer to one sound for the most part. Thanks Marty

Really nice job, FEP. Silky!

After listening to it a number of times, this is what I'm not hearing and hearing, both of which are inconsequential and may just be my ears or speakers.

16th and 20th measures I can't hear the g in second voice through the chord in first voice, although I see you playing it.
    Third measure before D.S. al coda the high g seems to ring a tad bit predominant compared to what's before and after. Maybe this was intended?

User Info Menu

FEP, After going back and listening to the original recording on CD and my own, I can't hear the g in m 16 and 20 in either of them. It must be covered by the chord.

User Info Menu

Is that a new guitar? How does it feel to play?

One thing I have noticed is the more I angle my hand palm-up, the upstrokes get a bit more juice behind them, and I feel like swinging it more.
    It's my newest guitar... but about 4 years old. It plays nice, but it's pretty quite when I play it acoustically. I like the sound of it amplified.

I noticed that too about the technique and it being easy to accent the up strokes. Good observation.

Really nice job, FEP. Silky!

After listening to it a number of times, this is what I'm not hearing and hearing, both of which are inconsequential and may just be my ears or speakers.

16th and 20th measures I can't hear the g in second voice through the chord in first voice, although I see you playing it.
    Third measure before D.S. al coda the high g seems to ring a tad bit predominant compared to what's before and after. Maybe this was intended?
    Well Oldhead, you got me listening and I hear what you mean... and that high G does ring out and stick out on the 3rd measure before the D.S. It doesn't sound like I picked it terrible hard, perhaps it's the timbre of the guitar or that it is up high all by itself.

FEP, After going back and listening to the original recording on CD and my own, I can't hear the g in m 16 and 20 in either of them. It must be covered by the chord.
    I can hear the G on my recording if I listen carefully. Perhaps my speakers bring it out more. My speakers are Alesis Monitor One MK2, they're suppose to have a flat response (unlike home stereo speakers).

User Info Menu

Leavitt's "in 4" refers to a smoother, walking bass feel, as opposed to "in 2", which will accent 2 and 4, and in which the bass line will be notes on 1 and 3. In 2 is a fox-trot, danceable feel, while in 4 is a more jazz feel, not as comfortable for the dancers. Don't forget, Leavitt came up with the big bands and working the pit with the great singers of the 40s and 50s, so his terminology will be a little out of date. Much of the Method is about being a well-rounded studio or jobbing player, rather than a strictly jazz practitioner. Also, those of you encountering the "stiff" rhythm of the metronome, try either setting it at half speed with the accents on 2 and 4, or using a drum sample from Garageband or some program like that. Again, we tend, because of the self-contained nature of the guitar, to keep our own counsel, and often our time is "our own", which becomes instantly obvious when we try to play with others. I'm also wondering how much reviewing everyone is doing, and what the results are. I think most will find that going back to the first few pages and reading through them will be a good experience when you hear how much better you can play them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    I'm also wondering how much reviewing everyone is doing, and what the results are. I think most will find that going back to the first few pages and reading through them will be a good experience when you hear how much better you can play them.
    I can review the material like, well like reading a book. So I usually review all the material in one sitting once a week.

Something I've noticed, the material seems to be not that hard for me until... I turn on the recording device. And then it becomes difficult. I think that is because when I'm not recording I don't hold myself to the same quality level and don't worry much about mistakes and sloppiness.

Recording my way through a book like this is something I've never done before. It really ups my concentration and focus. As I've said before, I'm finding recording to be an extremely valuable exercise.

User Info Menu

I can review the material like, well like reading a book. So I usually review all the material in one sitting once a week.

Something I've noticed, the material seems to be not that hard for me until... I turn on the recording device. And then it becomes difficult. I think that is because when I'm not recording I don't hold myself to the same quality level and don't worry much about mistakes and sloppiness.

Recording my way through a book like this is something I've never done before. It really ups my concentration and focus. As I've said before, I'm finding recording to be an extremely valuable exercise.
    +1 I can't read it like reading a book, but every time I go back it gets much easier, and I, too, try to review and play from the beginning each week. I find it very beneficial; practice, review, practice, review.

I think a lot of us feel the "pressure" of recording. Ditto to what FEP said about it becomes difficult.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Nicely done oldhead, this is a challenge and quite a beautiful piece. I personally prefer the non-muted interpretation. Why? I look at the music and think it doesn't matter how long the G rings out for - the G is a harmony note for all those chords. However it is a repeated drone note and it gets irritating if it isn't softly done.

You could keep coming back to this one for accuracy. You did tend to speed a little in the easier sections.

Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

Nicely done oldhead, this is a challenge and quite a beautiful piece. I personally prefer the non-muted interpretation. Why? I look at the music and think it doesn't matter how long the G rings out for - the G is a harmony note for all those chords. However it is a repeated drone note and it gets irritating if it isn't softly done.

You could keep coming back to this one for accuracy. You did tend to speed a little in the easier sections.

Thanks for posting!
    +1 There were more than just tempo problems with this. I did this on my way through reviewing and this was probably the best I ever played it while recording (that recorder just destroys me sometimes). It's interesting to hear others comment about how it seems more difficult once the red light comes on. I intend to go back sometime and try to nail it. I agree, if played properly it is a beautiful piece and yes, it was definitely a challenge.
    Thanks for your comments.

User Info Menu

Good jobs as always guys. It's very motivating.

I hadn't much time those days to practice and study as I'd like, so I won't keep up with the pace and will review the material in C before moving on to the other keys. But I'm still keeping an eye on those AMMFG threads, as they are very helpful and inspiring. Hope I'll be able to post some decent recordings from time to time!

Cheers.

User Info Menu

I've got to do better on the ritards and the signs where you play louder or softer. The jumping around with the codas are a booger for me as well along with overall mechanics in regards to the picking etudes. I think I'm going to start highlighting these type of markers in the future to help me find them.

Each of these uploads has there share of mistakes but I decided to go ahead and upload them and just keep reviewing them like the others. Reviewing is working for me and the past exercises are getting much easier to play. Having to record and upload these like assignments is very helpful.

I'm trying to catch up with the starting group but the amount of time I'm having to work on these is almost exactly a week as Fep has laid out. I feel like a progressed much better at the beginning but now it is getting harder and from looking ahead in the book, is not getting any easier. But I guess that is the point of the method.

I am starting to be able to read music from other sources better and single line melodies with sharps and/or flats are coming smoother to me. So even though I may get frustrated with MMI it makes me feel better to notice how the skills I'm learning are transferring to other things I'm working on.

Onward ho and keep pluggin away everyone!!!!

Will

Etude No 3 Duet pg 26.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Etude pg 27.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Two Two duet pg 28 and 29.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Will Glen
    I've got to do better on the ritards and the signs where you play louder or softer. The jumping around with the codas are a booger for me as well along with overall mechanics in regards to the picking etudes. I think I'm going to start highlighting these type of markers in the future to help me find them.

Each of these uploads has there share of mistakes but I decided to go ahead and upload them and just keep reviewing them like the others. Reviewing is working for me and the past exercises are getting much easier to play. Having to record and upload these like assignments is very helpful.

I'm trying to catch up with the starting group but the amount of time I'm having to work on these is almost exactly a week as Fep has laid out. I feel like a progressed much better at the beginning but now it is getting harder and from looking ahead in the book, is not getting any easier. But I guess that is the point of the method.

I am starting to be able to read music from other sources better and single line melodies with sharps and/or flats are coming smoother to me. So even though I may get frustrated with MMI it makes me feel better to notice how the skills I'm learning are transferring to other things I'm working on.

Onward ho and keep pluggin away everyone!!!!

Will

Etude No 3 Duet pg 26.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Etude pg 27.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Two Two duet pg 28 and 29.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Well Will,

Etude No. 3 - Well played, both guitars in time and balanced well. Nice recovery on the 2nd Guitar 3rd system.

Etude Pate 27 - Nice time keeping without the metronome and the Ritards sounded good to. I thought this one was pretty tricky to play.

Two Two (Duet) - Good job on the cut time, you got it right. There were a few missteps but overall very good. What I really liked was the tone of the strummed guitar (much more so than on my recording). Remember how you did that, how hard you strummed, where you strummed, what kind of pick, cuz it sounds good. Speaking of which, how did you do it?

Re: The starting group, I think we'll take a "spring Break" next week. I hope you keep on keeping on and catch up with us soon.

User Info Menu

Well Will,

Etude No. 3 - Well played, both guitars in time and balanced well. Nice recovery on the 2nd Guitar 3rd system.

Etude Pate 27 - Nice time keeping without the metronome and the Ritards sounded good to. I thought this one was pretty tricky to play.

Two Two (Duet) - Good job on the cut time, you got it right. There were a few missteps but overall very good. What I really liked was the tone of the strummed guitar (much more so than on my recording). Remember how you did that, how hard you strummed, where you strummed, what kind of pick, cuz it sounds good. Speaking of which, how did you do it?

Re: The starting group, I think we'll take a "spring Break" next week. I hope you keep on keeping on and catch up with us soon.
    Thank you and I agree about the picking being tricky. I still have trouble laying my fingers across the strings at times and unintentionally muting notes and had to really try to press my fingers straight down onto the note.

The cut time was very awkward at first especially counting the eighth notes like they were sixteenths but I see how this added difficulty makes counting sixteenth notes easier. This comes up over and over I'm seeing. He stretches you, then brings you back and you realize that he is challenging you constantly, then showing how this is key to learning.

I'm starting to feel in some ways I'm learning from Leavitt not only how to read music but how to learn music in general.

I use a small teardrop Medium thickness Fender or Gibson pick and angle the pick where it glides somewhat and I try to make the chords breath one word and snap a little with a flick using my thumb and index finger.

I will rest my wrist on the bridge sometimes but just do not like the tone playing so close to the bridge and there is a spot on my guitar that I gravitate toward on my guitar because of the tone which is just below the highest fret on the neck.

I have been working on the rest stroke as much as I can but rather than emphasize the high note on these for a melody I tried to make the chord one voice like a breath is how I thought of it.

Spring break sounds like a good idea. Thanks again Fep and take care.

User Info Menu

Please forgive a note from a group member who isn't posting videos. Still pretty embarrassed about the sloooow tempo needed to play well.

I just wanted to make a couple of observations. One, I'm still here.

Two/Two brought back with a bang why I quit music several times earlier on in life. The instruction is definitely getting more challenging and the tempo on the DVD is getting much faster (to fast to play along with). I'm determined not to quit this time however and for me, at least for the time being, 2/2 will be counted 4/4 until it's under my fingers.

Review has been a source of comfort, ie, ex 3 on pg 19 went from mm=66 to 84, without obsessive review.

I see MM as a must for being able one day to tackle Masters of the Plectrum Guitar and other pieces that stir my soul.

Will try a video soon just to have exposure to the anxiety it provokes and deal with it.

Thanks everyone for keeping this alive.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by girevikdavid
    2/2 will be counted 4/4 until it's under my fingers.
    Fair enough. I think the only reason it's written in 2/2 is to introduce the concept of 2/2.

User Info Menu

Hi guys, I'm posting page 27 picking etude (this is the preparation)

This is the etude:

User Info Menu

I took a video of me playing through the first couple of lines on page 29's Etude.

The sound is pretty bad. This is more of a technique video/critique.

Thanks!

I believe there`s a typo on page 27, on the picking etude, last measure. I`m counting 5 beats there. I`ll see if I can scan and post that image later. Does anyone noticed something like that?
    Last edited by Marcos Vinicius; 10-27-2012 at 08:49 AM.

Maybe the first two notes should be eight notes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos Vinicius
    I believe there`s a typo on page 27, on the picking etude, last measure. I`m counting 5 beats there. I`ll see if I can scan and post that image later. Does anyone noticed something like that?
    No I think its correct. There are 2 seperate lines in this. The top line is c-e (1 beat) f (1 beat) and (simulltaniously) d to b (2 x 1/2 beat) then chord e-g-c (2 beats) thats 4 beats
    The 2nd line id 1/8 rest (1/2 beat) then g for 3/8 (1 1/2 beat) then 1 beat rest then c for 1 beat = 4 beats.
    So both lines add up to 4 beats each.