The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 60 of 60

User Info Menu

Say I've got a problem here....

I'm working with this book mostly to learn how to read standard notation.

Made it to page 25, learning everything by reading (or trying to read)

"Review of all material is a must" -fine with me but here's my problem: muscle memory sets in and I think I play a lot of the older material not reading it but my fingers play it from memory....

Anybody have the same problem?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

HI,Tommo,this is bound to happen when you are going over the same exercises a lot,but you should be also trying to include reading supplementary material alongside the material in the book.There are quite a number of books belonging to this series that are pretty good,including a songbook.I do not think it matters if you memorize the etudes and the like,but as Leavitt says try not to memorize the reading studies.

User Info Menu

Thanks Echoplex!

User Info Menu

Actually, if you want to play some of them with proper feel, you need to have them mostly memorized. However, as you get through the book, the pieces get longer and more complicated. I still end up memorizing some of the bits (specially the chordal studies), but have to keep referring to the page to remember what comes next. In the second part of the book, position playing, there are reading studies, which you are not suppose to repeat or play on consecutive days, in order not to remember them.

User Info Menu

I have acquired this book mainly for the reason to learn to read standard notation that's why the memorizing bit puzzles me a little....

Yes, I've seen those reading stuie so I reckon that Mr. Leavitt was very much aware of the memorizing thing.

User Info Menu

p25 - Second Solo:

Self Critique: I really have to focus on the chords and notes still even though this is my second review. This makes the recording have to go to a hypnotic 48Bpm. My playing suffers from it too because I can't focus on musicality.

It's very harsh and uneven sounding.

User Info Menu

Hi Langs,

Good work. I found that at a tempo that slow it can be more difficult.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Hi Langs,

Good work. I found that at a tempo that slow it can be more difficult.
    Thank you I really appreciate that. It hasn't always been easy to keep feeling adequate participating; partially also because of the hiatus between me posting.

Again it's true that many factors outside the playing contributed to that harsh sounding. Heavy but sharp-edged pick, an electric guitar with a rather honky sounding neck pickup and a slow tempo.

I've been back to earlier exercises for revisions already so Second Solo, till next time when I play you off the top off my head!

Here's Etude nr 3 - I recorded this with an acoustic guitar using my laptop's mic. I must have recorded the playing back of that recording through the laptop speakers together with the second guitar; The first track had the metronome going as well.

User Info Menu

Hello everybody, think this forum is currently inactive(?) I tried my
    best on the second solo. It was hard for me to get my left hand fingers to be where they habe to be .

Greetings from Germany!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Swining Affair
    Hello everybody, think this forum is currently inactive(?) I tried my
    best on the second solo. It was hard for me to get my left hand fingers to be where they habe to be .

Greetings from Germany!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting. Although the thread is inactive, on threads like this, I think it's cool for people to keep posting. If I had to guess, I'd suspect that fep feels the same.

Really good technical pick technique stuff in that book. Are you using rest strokes on those partial chord voicings (which don't include first string)? Anyway, that material is a really good workout for RIGHT hand as well as the left. Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 01-21-2017 at 03:24 PM.