The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 97 of 97

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedSpoon
    Hey TLT - Thank you so much for the specific and extremely important information about racing the metronome. Even as I play, I am often aware in a general way of not being tightly locked in with the metronome. I went back and listened to EX3 twice and did indeed hear me racing. (I could not discern swallowing any entire beats, although at the end I simply muffed some entire beats and resumed - in tempo I think - if that is what you mean.)

I've been cutting myself some slack at this stage of my development, telling myself that timing will improve with better hand coordination. But coordination issues would account for random errors in timing - not for racing. So while I understand your point about relaxing, I now think the problems will only go away if I slow down and make it a priority to establish a tight, solid groove. No better time to avoid a bad habit than at the start.

Thanks again.

HighSpeed
    HSS, you're welcome. What I mean is this. You're a little ahead, then a teensy bit more ahead. For a second your beat is midway between metronome beats. You speed up just a fraction and before you know it, you are back in synch - but now a full beat ahead of your band. (We've all done it, don't worry! )

So, first off, that page long thing is awful long. You could work on shorter sections, like two lines. This is what I did with my son - he has to play scales to a metronome beat for an exam:

We sat with the beat, said "one and two and three and four and one and two", etc, till he had it bang on. Didn't move on till he had it. Then, on one string, one note, down up down up down up down up, till he had it bang on. We were a couple of days on that before I let him loose on a scale.

Also, I have an old-fashioned ticking one which has a more commanding tick.

I mean it when i say don't worry. You are doing just fine. It will all come good.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi,

I'm a new player (having tried guitar a couple of times in the past and given up in frustration - and yes, MM was principal in my frustration).

I'm following the forum faithfully and am up to Here we Go Again with all of the previous material progressing from sufficiently slow to defy the title music to very slow or in a few cases actually just slow .

I can't thank everyone enough for all the help and inspiration I'm getting from this group.

David

User Info Menu

Hi David, nice video. You're doing well and you just need to keep going. The metronome will help sharpen up the timing - but won't help you relax! (I'm referring here to your self-critique )

As for the low F, you will find the closer you fret the string just behind the fret, the less buzzing you get with less pressure. The accuracy of placing the fingers comes more easy with time.

David: excellent job. some mistakes but that is to be expected. if you have only been playing for three months-thats incredible. just keep at it and it will only get easier. i could see you were very nervous-no problem. gaurantee the next time will be much easier and better go for ir

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by richard vandyne
    David: excellent job. some mistakes but that is to be expected. if you have only been playing for three months-thats incredible. just keep at it and it will only get easier. i could see you were very nervous-no problem. gaurantee the next time will be much easier and better go for ir
    I agree. For three months this is above average reading/playing. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Keep up the great work!

User Info Menu

Imitation Duet page 14.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Here Go Again Duet pg 16 take 2.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

I just realized I missed the Ritard (gradually slower) in the last two measures. I'm playing with the metronome and I guess I will just try to ignore it when the tune calls for a speeding up or slowing down.

If you all could recommend any ways I could improve I would like to try and apply it to the future exercises. Thanks. I should have the newt few up today or early next week and I've been working on Etude No. 1 (duet). I'm really digging these studies and I'm finding that I'm starting to play much fewer notes in my playing to bring out different voicing's, along with incorporating more bass runs. These exercises are definately improving my play for sure and I love them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Will Glen
    Imitation Duet page 14.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Here Go Again Duet pg 16 take 2.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

I just realized I missed the Ritard (gradually slower) in the last two measures. I'm playing with the metronome and I guess I will just try to ignore it when the tune calls for a speeding up or slowing down.

If you all could recommend any ways I could improve I would like to try and apply it to the future exercises. Thanks. I should have the newt few up today or early next week and I've been working on Etude No. 1 (duet). I'm really digging these studies and I'm finding that I'm starting to play much fewer notes in my playing to bring out different voicing's, along with incorporating more bass runs. These exercises are definately improving my play for sure and I love them.
    Hi Will, sounds good on both counts. I even heard the crescendo. I don't think there's anything I can say specifically about improving - I think it's a question of moving on, as I think you have got the point of these exercises.

Obviously if you play with a metronome you can't do the ritard, but you can do the rit without a metronome. some here have made click tracks that shut off at certain points, so they can do both.

User Info Menu

Here's a recording of my trying to do exercise 1 from page 18... boy are those eighth notes harder to keep even when you're forcing yourself to use a metronome. I get bit ahead of the beat on this one (trying to play to 80bpm). I also am having some trouble using a rest stroke on the down stroke, and a firm rest-like stroke on the upstroke as instructed in the accompanying DVD, but am trying my best.

MMG1 P18 Exercise 1

User Info Menu

sounds good, wr. The next exercise is more challenging yet.

I never got the bit about upstrokes being rest strokes.

User Info Menu

Hi gx, a couple I wrote:

easy guitar duet.PDF - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    I got D blues.PDF - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Also, if you check out page 2 of this thread, you will find fep's sight-reading supplement (I would paste it here but I don't know how):
    https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/getti...ges-1-8-a.html

There is also Berklee Basic Guitar (also by Leavitt), and the Mel Bay series comes highly recommended, but I haven't seen these myself.

The piano section of this site has some good stuff:
    Beginner Piano Music for Kids -- Printable Free Sheet Music
    (just ignore anything in bass clef and concentrate on finding some treble clef tunes).

hth

Edit: Just noticed about being lefty. If you play left-handed (not all lefties do) then anything I say re right hand, you need to think left hand! Pick-hand. Looking forward in the book is a good inspiration!
    Last edited by ten left thumbs; 03-09-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: forgot something

User Info Menu

Just got to this section this week. Am having a bit of issues with the 8th notes, mostly when alternating between quarter notes and 8th notes in one measure. Brain can't seem to adjust haha. Mastered Here we go again part 1 but part 2 is a little tricky, plan to conquer it tomorrow

User Info Menu

All good stuff, jokkon.

User Info Menu

hi, I've recorded the sharps and flats page plus the little exercise at the bottom of that page!

User Info Menu

one last rhythm accompaniment for tonight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps
    one last rhythm accompaniment for tonight.
    Sounds good! I wish I could play it that well

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gxi1247
    Sounds good! I wish I could play it that well
    Thanks for listening, and commenting! Practicing with a metronome is super work. I was going to record slower versions for others to jam along with, is that a good idea? Any suggestions for tempos?

User Info Menu

hey again. I've got a new video for pages 18 and 19. would you like to check out the link? thanks!

User Info Menu

been an intense two week not much time for practice but I sure haven't forgotten about the study group

The rythm part for "Here we go again" is here. Recording quality not fantastic as I was using my laptop's mic. Also I found a crunch sound on my amp that I felt like holding on to that night. Couldn't help it.

Did some takes of the lead part but just can't get myself to upload em. Hope today or tomorrow.

The 8th note exercises don't seem too challenging as I've tried them expecting decent takes of them by end of this week.

Last edited by Langs; 02-10-2014 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Had to insert a new video link due to youtube account chage

User Info Menu

Hi,

My apologies for just jumping straight into this established thread but I have been looking for a study group like this for a while doing the Mel Bay Modern Guitar method and I am a little lost as it looks like my publications may be out of date in relation to the material being referenced here.

I have read through and notice the 'Here we go again' duet and thought I can use the great talent of everyone on this forum providing the 1st or 2nd guitars to play duets to but I have no song by this name mentioned in any of my books, so I take it this is only available in the new MB Modern Guitar publications ?

I am new to the forum and to introduce myself, I studied the MB series Grades 1-7 using the old 1974 publications with my then guitar teacher back in 1990 and got as far as the end of Grade 5 before I injured my hand and through impetious youth I actually gave up playing !

Twenty years later I have recoved my old guitar from the attic and the bug has bitten me again and I am frantically trying to recapture some playing ability using my old Mel Bay books and supplements, so this forum to me is an excellent find.

So if there are any duet or backing tracks I could reference that anyone is aware of from the old publications then it would be greatly appreciated to try and build up my confidence and tempo/timing control once again as I am hoping things haven't changed that much with this excellent teaching method.

I did use to have an accompanying cassette tape with Grade 1 but this has unfortunately been long lost !

Thanks everyone and good luck with the journey from being a guitar player to a guitarist.

Cheers,
    Col

User Info Menu

Had this one on my hardrive for a while now. I reduced my practicing of this book to 10-15 mins a day bacause I'm in a phase where most of my practice is going into left and right hand technique. More material is coming slowly but surely.

WARNING: Picking is H-A-R-S-H on this recording. I even recommend not listening to it
    Last edited by Langs; 02-15-2014 at 12:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Is the Gtr part 2 also supposed to be gradually louder and gradually softer at the last two rows of Here we go again? I can't seem to distinguish wether to not he does that in the video. Seems like he doesn't?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by znerken
    Is the Gtr part 2 also supposed to be gradually louder and gradually softer at the last two rows of Here we go again? I can't seem to distinguish wether to not he does that in the video. Seems like he doesn't?
    Sure, it's a duet so it needs to be complementary.
    Attached Files Attached Files