The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 97

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldhead
    Thanks, TLT.

P16: This, I'm sure, is blatantly obvious to most of you; but what is the significance of the double bars at the end of every 8th measure on page 16, then beginning bar on P17 and then there isn't one until the end of the piece?
    On page 3 it mentions the double bar but doesn't explain it. Then on P4 and continuing there are double bars at the beginning and end of the exercises, but not on the duets, just after 8 measures. If these are too much novice type questions for this forum, just let me know.
    thanks.
    Good question. Double bar line at the end (where second line is thicker) indicates end of piece. Double bar line in middle, with the two dots (e.g. p 33) indicates repeat.

What we have here is neither. They are using a double bar (both thin lines) inside a piece to indicate where one segment ends. This is explained in the dvd a little. I think they use it here especially to teach, as they want you to notice, ah, here the A section is repeated, and here we go onto the B section.

In 'real' music this thin-double bar isn't used much. Perhaps a good context would be where movements of a concerto run into each other without break - you could put a double bar. It's one of those things like a semi-colon in English - you can get on fine without it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm just continuing on the subject of theory, and dotting a little in every now and then.

On pg 17 we have another chord exercise, and now we have examples of the 3 important kinds of chords: major chords, minor chords, and dominant 7th chords. As things get more complicated later in, especially in jazz, it's good to have these 3 categories happily in the psyche from here on in.

If you see a G7, D7, A7, etc, then this is shorthand for what a classical musician would call a G dominant 7, D dominant 7, etc. This is not a kind of major chord - it lives in its own group.

If you see a C major 7th - then this a kind of major chord, just fancier than a regular C. Similarly an A minor 7th is a kind of minor chord.

User Info Menu

P 15 EXERCISE
    Pg 15 EXERCISE.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

FEP, thanks. Had a couple days of frustration but think it's taken care of now.
    Just for anyone new to the forum, Mr. F. told me you have to be approved before posting w/links.
    Oldhead,

Man, sounds really well played to me. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Thank you very much for that fep. It was helpful to me to see how good a hand-held can be. I just got a the Zoom H4n - a similar product which arrived yesterday. I hope the quality is as nice as your DR-07.

BTW, for the webcam, are you also using a built-in mic? -- Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedSpoon
    Thank you very much for that fep. It was helpful to me to see how good a hand-held can be. I just got a the Zoom H4n - a similar product which arrived yesterday. I hope the quality is as nice as your DR-07.

BTW, for the webcam, are you also using a built-in mic? -- Thanks
    Thanks.

Yes that was the built-in mic for the video recording done with the webcam. All I see is a tiny dot next to the lense, I'm thinking it's got to be a real cheap mic.

I'm sure the Zoom is just as good or better than my Tascam.
    Last edited by fep; 01-28-2012 at 02:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    Good question. Double bar line at the end (where second line is thicker) indicates end of piece. Double bar line in middle, with the two dots (e.g. p 33) indicates repeat.

What we have here is neither. They are using a double bar (both thin lines) inside a piece to indicate where one segment ends. This is explained in the dvd a little. I think they use it here especially to teach, as they want you to notice, ah, here the A section is repeated, and here we go onto the B section.

In 'real' music this thin-double bar isn't used much. Perhaps a good context would be where movements of a concerto run into each other without break - you could put a double bar. It's one of those things like a semi-colon in English - you can get on fine without it.
    Thanks, TLT- Very informative; also for the chord info.

User Info Menu

I was working on "Here We Go Again" duet and got so frustrated I had to move on for a while. I only thought I was frustrated with the duet. If it helps anyone, count out loud on these exercises - real loud- 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 AND... I started these at about 40 bpm. Reading, alternate picking and changing notes on the up beat or off beat, or whatever it's called, almost drove me to the edge. Now back to the duet.

P18, Ex1.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    P18, Ex2.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Sounds pretty good oldhead, and definitely more than 40 bpm now! You even have the other strings muted nicely, which was hard for me in a couple of places.

And yeah, the duet is kickin' my butt too. But hey, no pain no gain, right?

HighSpeed

User Info Menu

I was working on "Here We Go Again" duet and got so frustrated I had to move on for a while. I only thought I was frustrated with the duet. If it helps anyone, count out loud on these exercises - real loud- 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 AND... I started these at about 40 bpm. Reading, alternate picking and changing notes on the up beat or off beat, or whatever it's called, almost drove me to the edge. Now back to the duet.

P18, Ex1.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    P18, Ex2.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Sounds great oldane, very well played. (If I was really nitpicky I'd say you didn't hold the last note long enough on ex. 1, but I'm not going to mention it )

Really, great job

User Info Menu

Webcam on my wifes laptop, so the audio quality is not the best.

User Info Menu

Very nice, fep, you got through it! It's a long one.

It was a bit hard to see, but I think you might have been uppicking on the downbeats. Am I right? (I'm guessing you're more used to swinging than playing straight.)

User Info Menu

Thanks, TLT- Very informative; also for the chord info.
    Thanks for saying. I wasn't sure if my ramblings into theory were helpful or just a distraction. If they are helpful, I'll keep going with them.

User Info Menu

Double bar lines: generally, they are used for sections, or "phrases". Note that at least 90% of the music we play is in 4 and 8 bar multiples. Blues is 12 bars, standards are 16, 32 and 64 bars, etc. The double bar lines are to indicate where 8-bar phrases happen, and they function like paragraphs do in prose; they help to break up the long pieces into sections. They are useful for practicing and rehearsing, and for getting used to the sub-language of the popular song. In fact, when practicing, it can be useful to practice 4 and 8 bar phrases repeatedly, and to get the feel into your subconscious. Take any tune, like "All The Things You Are", and break it into its 8-bar sections, and you'll see that those phrases "resolve" to a I chord at the end. Similarly, Summertime is 4 4-bar phrases. Leavitt is getting us used to typical song forms.

User Info Menu

HSP: Glad I'm not the only one having some trouble w/duet. It took a while to get those exercises up to speed.

FEP: Please nitpick. You're right - I cut that last note too soon. I'm here to learn, so nitpick away. BTW, you make it look so easy. Nice job on the long exercise.

TLT: As I said to FEP, I'm here to learn, so any theory you want to throw in, please do.

AANT: Nice job on the duet and exercise. Are you using compression or something on the duet? It sounds different to me on the duet as opposed to the exercise

Don't know how to multiple "quote" in a reply so did it this way. If someone wants to PM me and tell me how to multiple quote, I'd be greatful.

User Info Menu

I recorded Here we go again (both parts) at 50bpm, in case anyone wants to play along at that speed. Each has a major mistake in it - you are warned - but I keep the speed steady.

one two three four pt 1.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    one two three four pt 2.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

And also the exercises on pg 17 and 19, for which I turned the blessed metronome off:
    pg 17 rhythm.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    pg 19 death by quavers.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Very nice, fep, you got through it! It's a long one.

It was a bit hard to see, but I think you might have been uppicking on the downbeats. Am I right? (I'm guessing you're more used to swinging than playing straight.)
    Thanks TTL.

I was using down strokes on the down beats, it would be really difficult for me to do it with up strokes on the down beats... I just tried, it's actually not that hard, but it does feel different. Just learned I can do it either way. But looking at the video, it was down strokes on the down beats.
    Last edited by fep; 01-29-2012 at 11:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Thanks TTL.

I was using down strokes on the down beats, it would be really difficult for me to do it with up strokes on the down beats... I just try, it's actually not that hard, but it does feel different. Just learned I can do it either way. But looking at the video, it was down strokes on the down beats.
    great, I just wasn't sure from looking at the video.

User Info Menu

Hi TTL,

Page 17, I like the tone of your guitar and that sounds like a high quality mic. Well played! My only nit picks would be; some chords a cut off quicker than others and yes that can be hard for me to control also. And the time was just a bit off on the last two measures.

Death by quavers, that's funny. Yep, that is a nice tone and good recording quality. Well played, no nits.

Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Here We Go Again (Duet) - 1st Guitar on Video, both guitars on audio

User Info Menu

TLT: "Death by Quavers" - what a hoot!! Nice job. I also like the tone of your guitar.

FEP: As I said before, you make it look easy - and what a tone!

RONJAZZ: Thanks for the info on the bar lines. I actually began practicing these exercises by just looking over the whole piece, and then breaking it down to lean in 4-measure blocks.

I must say you all are an inspiration.

User Info Menu

HaHa! Yes "Death by Quavers" - very good TTL. Great job on both of these. One thing: I might be wrong but I think that EX 19 speeded up a bit between the beginning and the end. Even if I am correct, you still have a very solid sense of time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Here We Go Again (Duet) - 1st Guitar on Video, both guitars on audio

Hey fep: That was great - really an inspiration. Two very small things: One is about the crescendo/decrescendo (gradually louder / gradually softer) at the end: I find with a number of recordings - including my first ones last week - that the recording equipment seems to have a mind of its own regarding dynamics. It seems like the dynamics are compressed a bit. So maybe this is just me, but are you excecuting the crescendo/decrescendo?

Second, I don't know how one does this with a metronome, but are you slowing at the end, or are you keeping pace with a metronome?

Oh, and one other thing: Thanks for bringing back the "wag"!

HighSpeed

User Info Menu

Yeah, you guys are right, I'll turn it off and find a better sound. By listening to your recordings, it clearly appears that this kind of effect is not suited for what we play in this thread.

fep: it was too off indeed. It's off topic but I'm thinking about switching to medium gauge strings rather than light/extralight, to allow more precision.

Thanks for the feedback and keep on with the great work everyone!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments, Frank, oldhead and highspeed. Go ahead and pick nits, Frank, I got lots! Highspeed, I did indeed speed up a little.

Wouldn't it be nice to just play better?

Funny that so many should comment about the tone of my guitar. I just had it at the shop to have its buzz amputated, and the man also put new Elixir strings on (more expensive and super-duper than what I've bought in the past). I have been enjoying the feel of the new strings, and the acoustic after a few days with just my electric. Interesting the sound seems to come across even in a recording.

So, I suppose we're about ready for some new material? Doesn't time fly?

User Info Menu

Page 19, Exercise 3, with all the bonkers. Now back the duet - again!
    Page 19, Exercise 3.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

TLT, Amazing what new string will do!