Hi Msjarlington,

Nice job, good timing, solid.

BTW,

I copy the address in the top bar at you tube and put it in this

and you get this

Msjarlingtons Imitation Duet

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks, fep. I was wondering how you did that on this site. Unfortunately, embedded YouTube videos don't show up on the old iPad. Something about Flash (thanks Apple!). What makes it worse is no "alt" URL link shows so I have to jump on the PC to see anything. Anyhoo, thanks for the tip. Looking forward to another week of Leavitt.

User Info Menu

P14, Imitation Duet 130 bpm

I'm w/Msjarlington, when Leavitt says, "...do not attempt to completely perfect any one lesson before going on."

I'm already seeing improvement in accuracy and speed when going back over the beginning lessons.

Very challenging, but very satisfying. I think I'm addicted!

I'm trying a new server since my previous posts seem to have vaporized.
    Hope this works.

p14, Imitation Duet 130 bpm.mp3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldhead
    P14, Imitation Duet 130 bpm

I'm w/Msjarlington, when Leavitt says, "...do not attempt to completely perfect any one lesson before going on."

I'm already seeing improvement in accuracy and speed when going back over the beginning lessons.

Very challenging, but very satisfying. I think I'm addicted!

I'm trying a new server since my previous posts seem to have vaporized.
    Hope this works.

p14, Imitation Duet 130 bpm.mp3
    Wow, that's something to be really proud of. That was played really well, I played it again just to enjoy the piece. I can hear both voices really well and they sound real good together, and the timbre of your guitar really worked well for this piece, and that was a good choice of tempo.

That was very enjoyable to listen too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Wow, that's something to be really proud of. That was played really well, I played it again just to enjoy the piece. I can hear both voices really well and they sound real good together, and the timbre of your guitar really worked well for this piece, and that was a good choice of tempo.

That was very enjoyable to listen too.
    Thanks a bunch, FEP, I really appreciate the kind comments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty W
    What muting technique works best for you? It's one of those things you do without noticing how you do it.

I was thinking today about different ways you can mute strings on the guitar and trying to figure out which ones worked best in what situation. Here are some observations:

The technique we use probably depends on our fret hand finger position and also how we hold the pick. I have thick fingers and tend to fret single notes with the pad of my fingers instead of the tips. That makes it easier to do fret hand muting. SRV & Hendrix are great examples of this style.

For pick hand muting, I hold the pick close to the tip and use my thumb and 1st fingers to mute. With this technique I can simultaneously mute one string while picking a note on a different string.

I recorded some examples of what works for me, hope it helps.

Just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to put this up. I have been working on this, trying to and this helps. It is hard to say thanks to everyone in all these threads but they are chock full of great information. Again, I appreciate this info.

I'm coming up behind picking up all these gems I can.
    Last edited by Will Glen; 02-10-2012 at 05:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Will Glen
    Just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to put this up. I have been working on this, trying to and this helps. It is hard to say thanks to everyone in all these threads but they are chock full of great information. Again, I appreciate this info.

I'm coming up behind picking up all these gems I can.
    You're welcome! And welcome to the study group. Never thought I'd enjoy working through MM 1 but this makes it more fun.

User Info Menu

I've been working on new exercises in the morning and then doing my review in the afternoon or evening for MM1. I can definitely tell that the previous material becomes easier upon review and I improve on this material after practicing new stuff.

Always room for improvement that's for sure and I like Leavitt's counsel to review, review, review and not stay put until the piece is "perfected". This was very helpful advice. Having a recording of past material helps to review I've found and listen for ways to improve.

I'm really enjoying playing Low E, F, G, A, B & C. I have always neglected these notes in previous attempts to read.

Exercise 9 page 12.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Exercise 10 page 13.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Imitation Duet page 14.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

As a side note, I picked up David Oake's Music Reading for Guitar the other day off Amazon and he discusses three methods to Developing Eye Movement, a concept that was new to me and I've found helpful.

Reading Down and Up the Page: You start at the first measure, read down to the second line/first measure/third line first measure until you reach the bottom....then you start from the bottom of the last line/second measure and read up etc...

Readings Backwards and Up the Page: Here you start at the end of the song and play it backwards.

Reading in Boxes: Number the measures randomly and it causes you to follow a random pattern, forcing you to recognize the notes and forcing you to think about looking ahead.

I'm just starting to do this with review material in hopes it will improve my sight reading and offset the innate problem of memorizing, rather than reading.

Take care everyone and have a good one,

Will

User Info Menu

Will, sounding good. You're off and running. I agree about the review process. Constant review and practice makes accuracy and speed better. It's very satisfying to go back and play something pretty much effortlessly that seemed very hard when you first tried it; it's very reinforcing mentally, at least it is for me.
    FTP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Will Glen

Exercise 9 page 12.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Exercise 10 page 13.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Imitation Duet page 14.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

As a side note, I picked up David Oake's Music Reading for Guitar the other day off Amazon and he discusses three methods to Developing Eye Movement, a concept that was new to me and I've found helpful.

Reading Down and Up the Page: You start at the first measure, read down to the second line/first measure/third line first measure until you reach the bottom....then you start from the bottom of the last line/second measure and read up etc...

Readings Backwards and Up the Page: Here you start at the end of the song and play it backwards.

Reading in Boxes: Number the measures randomly and it causes you to follow a random pattern, forcing you to recognize the notes and forcing you to think about looking ahead.

I'm just starting to do this with review material in hopes it will improve my sight reading and offset the innate problem of memorizing, rather than reading.

Take care everyone and have a good one,

Will
    Sounding good Will. Thanks for the tips. I do the reading backwards exercise but hadn't heard of the other two.

User Info Menu

Hi Will, good to see you're making progress! The recordings sound good. I also have the Oakes book, and I have to confess I skipped the bit about reading backward and upside down. Glad you found it helpful. There is certainly a skill to tracking your eyes a little ahead of your playing, including down to the start of the next line, and skipping for the repeats, etc.

If you need to read, rather than memorize, then reading *lots* is your friend, and the Oakes book is good. You can take the start (5th) and play it in open position for extra practice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldhead
    Will, sounding good. You're off and running. I agree about the review process. Constant review and practice makes accuracy and speed better. It's very satisfying to go back and play something pretty much effortlessly that seemed very hard when you first tried it; it's very reinforcing mentally, at least it is for me.
    FTP
    Thank you sir. I've been listening to you and you are doing a great job as is everyone participating. I agree with you about the good feeling of making progress.

Looking forward in the book can be daunting. There has been many evenings I've sat at my desk looking ahead in the book and I tell myself there is no way I will be able to play all those notes sight reading alone. I keep telling myself that if I can just stick with it, that God willing it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty W
    Sounding good Will. Thanks for the tips. I do the reading backwards exercise but hadn't heard of the other two.
    No prob Marty!

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    Hi Will, good to see you're making progress! The recordings sound good. I also have the Oakes book, and I have to confess I skipped the bit about reading backward and upside down. Glad you found it helpful. There is certainly a skill to tracking your eyes a little ahead of your playing, including down to the start of the next line, and skipping for the repeats, etc.

If you need to read, rather than memorize, then reading *lots* is your friend, and the Oakes book is good. You can take the start (5th) and play it in open position for extra practice.
    Thank you kindly and I will be doing that for sure.

Have a great one everybody and keep plugging away.

User Info Menu

Good work all around. I'd like to jump in here and note a couple of details from my lessons with Leavitt. First, he was very complimentary to me when he saw that I kept my left hand thumb behind the neck, generally in the middle of the back of the neck. That was because of my classical guitar lessons, but he pointed out that keeping the thumb back will enable the player to stretch further and to utilize the fingertips more efficiently, so that's something to think about. Also, from my own experience, when you do look at the fingerboard, try to train yourself to look not at where you are, but at where you're going. This will be especially helpful as you start playing in higher positions and using position shifts: put your eyes on the goal, In fact, you can experiment a bit by just choosing two notes, say a G on the first string 3rd fret, and a D on the 10th fret; play the G with your third finger, and jump to the D with your first finger. If you look at the D before making the jump, your accuracy will be much higher. This also works in first position when you're skipping strings, etc.

User Info Menu

You know.. I really didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I am. I wish I had gone back to fill in the gaps years ago.

User Info Menu

hey guys, I'm digging up the depths! did anyone catch that dotted half note?

User Info Menu

exercise 10 from page 13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fingerstyler

I'd like to comment on the other recordings but I can't open the quicktime files for some reason. I will need to figure that out.

Cheers,
    fs
    Try installing VLC media player (it's the best anyway - might as well... - and if that fails, have you tried using Google Chrome? Big change to ask of somebody - so if VLC doesn't bring you the codec thingies, I don't know. They should play. Weird. Good luck.

KJ

User Info Menu

I played these slow, but any faster and I screw up the note-reading. Work ahead. (If my high E or B, or both, are are flat, it's cuz they're brand new and stretching, but I think it's close enough for Leavitt. Whatever that means.)

Exercise 9

Exercise 10

User Info Menu

Both sound pretty good.

How often/how long do you practice a day?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gxi1247
    Both sound pretty good.

How often/how long do you practice a day?
    Thanks, GX.

When I'm feeling good enough to play (I have a complicated little brain disease), I play just about all the time.

I'm sloppy in these vids because I'm obeying the DVD guy's dictum to use rest-strokes, and I don't quite have it down. Lots of string rattle, not tight with the metronome, etc. I hope to pull it all together as we go.

How about you? Practice a lot?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kojo27

How about you? Practice a lot?
    I have a 2 month old daughter, so she takes up most of my free time. I have been dedicated that after her and the wife fall asleep I practice as long as my eyes will stay open. Last night I actually got to practice for about 1.5 hours. But most nights it is only 30-45 minutes.

User Info Menu

These duets will be the end of me - trying to get all the notes in sync, and hardly getting ANY of them to line up. I tried the faster temp (120) and it's no harder or easier, so I'll go with it. Hope to get better at these things.

https://www.box.com/s/7f68yxd4kqvd2xem4ch6

User Info Menu

sounds pretty dang good to my ear

User Info Menu

Been having the little videos for a while but ended up putting off listening to them before upload to youtube and posting them here. Here they are for this lesson.

Excersise 9:

a couple of notes ended up not being played. Hope to have notes come out more evenly when reviewing. Slow tempo really reveal that don't they

Excersise 10:

Have to say on this one the notes don't seem to come out as fragile as normal. I do find it hard to be own judge on this though as I can Imagine it may sound pretty similar to previous exercises.
    Last edited by Langs; 02-09-2014 at 09:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Here are my audio files for this section. Warts and all. Hahahaha. I knew I could read the notes on the bottom ledger lines. It just took some time to get used to them. I had a bit of a hiccup in Exercise 10. Not sure what happened. Maybe I lost my place or I had a brain mishap. I powered through it.

Exercise 09 @ 100bpm

Exercise 10 @ 100bpm

Imitation Duet Guitar Part 1 @ 100bpm

Imitation Duet Guitar Part 2 @ 100bpm

Imitation Duet @ 100bpm