The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 75

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    sounds good, Rock. If I'm not mistaken there's a little mistake in bar 28 - just mentioning it in case you hadn't noticed it.

+1

Very nice strum and good sense of rhythm.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

i did notice that mistake. in fact, there are two mistakes. one in each part.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fingerstyler
    Thanks for the clarification on the ties everybody. I don't know what edition book I have since I bought it used last year. It is a well used book so possibly I have a very old edition.

About the muting. I will have to give that a try. It seems like it would be a bit awkward. My feeling is that sustain on an acoustic is pretty short so for at least this song it would detract from the sound more than help by making the phrases less legato. My general opinion is that you have to be a bit careful with what is written and what is implied. For instance if we were improvising this piece would we mute the e in m1 beat 1 prior to replaying it on m3? This is what is written in my book. Thanks for listening and your comments

cheers,
    fs
    I agree with you in regards to a performance.

However as an exercise, the muting might be a pretty valuable technique to develop.

Great job everyone! I think I am the only true beginner here, so listening to how fluidly you all play is making me jealous

Here is my attempt at Imitation Duet. 76bpm with guitar 1 panned left and guitar 2 panned right.

Right off the bat I am noticing that I am not getting a clean tone on all of my pics, and sometime I am letting the notes ring a bit longer than they should.

Any another feedback? As experienced players, your insight is greatly appreciated.

And just to clear up any confusion, my screen name is not my real name. Its an homage to one of the world's great investigative journalists, Irwin Fletcher

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty W
    What muting technique works best for you? It's one of those things you do without noticing how you do it.

I was thinking today about different ways you can mute strings on the guitar and trying to figure out which ones worked best in what situation. Here are some observations:

The technique we use probably depends on our fret hand finger position and also how we hold the pick. I have thick fingers and tend to fret single notes with the pad of my fingers instead of the tips. That makes it easier to do fret hand muting. SRV & Hendrix are great examples of this style.

For pick hand muting, I hold the pick close to the tip and use my thumb and 1st fingers to mute. With this technique I can simultaneously mute one string while picking a note on a different string.

I recorded some examples of what works for me, hope it helps.

Thanks Marty, that's a great demo.

With all those muting techniques you have, I'm guessing you might be a real good slide player.

What I love about this book is the musicality of the exercises, right from the start. Yes, I want to get better. But I also enjoy what I'm playing today. That makes it a lot easier.
    +1. A lot of the material is very musical for just being studies.

What muting technique works best for you? It's one of those things you do without noticing how you do it.

I was thinking today about different ways you can mute strings on the guitar and trying to figure out which ones worked best in what situation. Here are some observations:

The technique we use probably depends on our fret hand finger position and also how we hold the pick. I have thick fingers and tend to fret single notes with the pad of my fingers instead of the tips. That makes it easier to do fret hand muting. SRV & Hendrix are great examples of this style.

For pick hand muting, I hold the pick close to the tip and use my thumb and 1st fingers to mute. With this technique I can simultaneously mute one string while picking a note on a different string.
    I use these techniques and others as well. I find myself also 1)rolling LH fingers slightly, 2) lifting the LH finger but not immediately removing it from the string (to prevent a pull-off).

I've played through book 1 before. So, right now, I'm just reviewing. In looking back at the material, I find that now I do a lot of muting with both hands to try and play the note values exactly as written. However, I don't think it's something to obsess about the first time through. Focus on whatever muting technique somewhat works for you.

There are certain notes I can't abide ringing, and then there are others where the notes are all part of the same chord, where it's not as big a deal. I just use the early, easier material to work on these small technicalities because I can already easily play the material. Like Marty said, it's not something I really think too much about. I've just developed the techniques over time. Leavitt mentions muting early in the book but doesn't make too big a deal about it. Work on it, but it's not something to stress over.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips guys.

Good to know that it's not necessary to focus too much on muting, it's hard enough to learn the rest stroke technique. I've tried to do both with the review, I'm struggling with controlling my right hand and can't really play all the notes and their correct value. Damn, it's not easy to synchronize everything, but it'll surely come at one point, at least I hope!

So here it is: Review.

User Info Menu

Hey, Marty thanks for the vid. Some nice suggestions there.

User Info Menu

About the muting. I will have to give that a try. It seems like it would be a bit awkward.
    fs
    Do you ever mute with your picking fingers? That seems like an easy way to do it with fingerstyle. Pedal steel guitar players are great at pick hand muting. They do it one of two ways, either with their fingers/picks or with the palm. They call it blocking instead of muting. A bunch youtube out there explaining the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Thanks Marty, that's a great demo.

With all those muting techniques you have, I'm guessing you might be a real good slide player.

Thanks glad you like it. I can play clean and in-tune with the slide but it's never felt natural to me. Some players make it look effortless.

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher

I've played through book 1 before. So, right now, I'm just reviewing. In looking back at the material, I find that now I do a lot of muting with both hands to try and play the note values exactly as written. However, I don't think it's something to obsess about the first time through. Focus on whatever muting technique somewhat works for you.

Great advice Matt. Sometimes it's right to focus on details and sometimes just go for the big picture. Don't let the muting thing stop you from getting better at reading the notes. As we've said, it often sounds better to let the notes ring together. Like others here I've been through much of the book before. So my goal is to pay attention to things I've previously been slack about. Like dynamics, ties and rests.

User Info Menu

As an experiment I tried this with the webcam and that itty bitty mic on the web cam. It doesn't sound too good and it's picking up some sort of room hiss, but it is sure easy to record that way. Just click record and that's it, no set up of mics.

The laptop was in the dining room, I was lazy so I didn't get the metronome. A bit sloppy I think but the lighting's real nice, ha ha. I was trying to do the muting thang.

Last edited by fep; 01-20-2012 at 05:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Very nice, fep. Your right hand is looking freer than in a video you did previously. Is that how it feels?

User Info Menu

As an experiment I tried this with the webcam and that itty bitty mic on the web cam. It doesn't sound too good and it's picking up some sort of room hiss, but it is sure easy to record that way. Just click record and that's it, no set up of mics.

The laptop was in the dining room, I was lazy so I didn't get the metronome. A bit sloppy I think but the lighting's real nice, ha ha. I was trying to do the muting thang.

Nice job fep. The muting is sounding very good. I think its good to play without the metronome also. (partly because it is evil) and also because the point of the metronome in my opinion is to give us a good grounding of where the beat is - once that's instilled then the little box must be put away. I think you've earned that here.

cheers,
    fs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinMFletcher
    Great job everyone! I think I am the only true beginner here, so listening to how fluidly you all play is making me jealous

Here is my attempt at Imitation Duet. 76bpm with guitar 1 panned left and guitar 2 panned right.

Right off the bat I am noticing that I am not getting a clean tone on all of my pics, and sometime I am letting the notes ring a bit longer than they should.

Any another feedback? As experienced players, your insight is greatly appreciated.

And just to clear up any confusion, my screen name is not my real name. Its an homage to one of the world's great investigative journalists, Irwin Fletcher
    Hi

I think it is very good. You have a good sound and your timing is very good. There are a few spots where you are misfretting the notes but we all do that (at least I do all the time) and you will get better with that over time. I think it flows very nice also. Really great job! Keep them coming.

Cheers,
    fs

User Info Menu

Do you ever mute with your picking fingers? That seems like an easy way to do it with fingerstyle. Pedal steel guitar players are great at pick hand muting. They do it one of two ways, either with their fingers/picks or with the palm. They call it blocking instead of muting. A bunch youtube out there explaining the difference.
    Hi Marty,

Thanks for the video it is very helpful. I do a lot of muting with my picking fingers. I play a lot of rest strokes so that helps with muting the lower string sort of like an upstroke rest stroke with the pick. I also mute bass strings all the time with my thumb which tend to ring by sympathetic vibrations that is they will ring even when you haven't picked them. I also use some of the left hand muting techniques that you showed in your video especially where you mute a higher string by shifting your hand down say muting high e when playing b string etc. Some of those techniques are a bit harder on a classical style neck since string spacing is wider. But they are doable just not by me!

There is a technique for playing pizzicato where you mute the strings with your palm of your picking hand as you play but I don't think that is what is called for here. The other way to play pizzicato is to fret directly on the fret and a little bit in front. The right hand technique really changes my hand position. I've been working on that for a while and still find it awkward for my fingers but my thumb does OK. Left hand technique of playing on the fret I haven't really gotten. That will take a while to retrain my positioning.

I do think it is important to work on these techniques and thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers,
    fs
    Last edited by fingerstyler; 01-21-2012 at 07:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Hello everyone,

Kids are awake but I managed to sneak in a recording with some muting.
    Maybe should have muted some more because I think I woke them up!!

Finding that I have a difficult time muting the a higher open string. For instance, the b in m5. My version says to let the notes ring after m15 which I didn't really do here.

There is also something ringing in measures 12 and 13 but my ear isn't good enough to pick it out. Believe it is my low e and a little bit of the low a string from sympathetic vibrations. This is likely because I'm resting my thumb on the d string so I can play rest strokes against the g string for the c and the d and mute the g.

Wouldn't have noticed this without your comments. this is what is great about this forum.

Thanks everyone.

Here is the link:
    2012_01_21_Leavitt_review_page13_2.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Cheers,
    fs

User Info Menu

Don't forget, mute with either hand!

Also, the metronome is your friend, use it every day. Many, many guitarists
    have lousy time because we play so often alone. The metronome is not
    only a perfect timekeeper, it also can help you gauge your progress.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Don't forget, mute with either hand!

Also, the metronome is your friend, use it every day. Many, many guitarists
    have lousy time because we play so often alone. The metronome is not
    only a perfect timekeeper, it also can help you gauge your progress.

You're right Ron. I like to pick on the metronome because it gives me such a hard time and because it can't defend itself on the forum.

cheers,
    fs

FS, thanks for the kind words of encouragement. As for the misfetting, I try to get right up against the fret wire, but often times end up in the middle of the fret. Hopefully this is something that will improve with time.

Hi

I think it is very good. You have a good sound and your timing is very good. There are a few spots where you are misfretting the notes but we all do that (at least I do all the time) and you will get better with that over time. I think it flows very nice also. Really great job! Keep them coming.

Cheers,
    fs

User Info Menu

Geez fep, that sounds great! You hear room hiss and I hear music - music with a solid sense of timing and at a brisk tempo too.

fep is it my imagination ar did you reverse the photography. i see you playing left handed and i swear all the rest of your photos you are playing righty?????????????

User Info Menu

Hello everyone,

Kids are awake but I managed to sneak in a recording with some muting.
    Maybe should have muted some more because I think I woke them up!!

Finding that I have a difficult time muting the a higher open string. For instance, the b in m5. My version says to let the notes ring after m15 which I didn't really do here.

There is also something ringing in measures 12 and 13 but my ear isn't good enough to pick it out. Believe it is my low e and a little bit of the low a string from sympathetic vibrations. This is likely because I'm resting my thumb on the d string so I can play rest strokes against the g string for the c and the d and mute the g.

Wouldn't have noticed this without your comments. this is what is great about this forum.

Thanks everyone.

Here is the link:
    2012_01_21_Leavitt_review_page13_2.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Cheers,
    fs
    Good one fs. Everything sounds right to me.

User Info Menu

Hello everyone,

Kids are awake but I managed to sneak in a recording with some muting. ...

My version says to let the notes ring after m15 which I didn't really do here.

There is also something ringing in measures 12 and 13 but my ear isn't good enough to pick it out. ...

Here is the link:

Cheers,
    fs
    I hear the ringing fingerstyler and don't know enough to say where it's from. At least it sounds good. You obviously have experience on the instrument and these are minor nits: As you mentioned, the half note was shortened at m.15. Also, I could not hear the B in m.28. But very nice work overall.

HighSpeed

User Info Menu

Enjoyed everyone's recordings. It was particularly interesting to hear fingerstyler's interpretation of page 13 vs. Marty's. Played at a slower tempo, flatpickin' chords really come out arpeggiated. Both renditions work for me.

Here's an attempt at Imitation Duet. If Leavitt says not to worry about perfecting these exercises, he needn't worry. My take is far from it.

100 bpm was probably ambitious for me. I flubbed jumping from F to A quite a few times in measure 4 and C to E in measure 5 before getting it. Still, my volume is inconsistent as a result of freaking out at those passages. Missed a note in measure 9. All in all, probably need to slow things down.

User Info Menu

... Evenness and accuracy of timing only come with time and experience. You can practice all you want, concentrate all you want, it will come when it comes.
    Ain't it the truth!

Thanks to Marty and TLT for the feedback - it's appreciated.

HighSpeed

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for the feedback, this is a great thing! Yeah, you're right, I did play a G instead of B. And it is comforting to most everyone is finding the rest strokes challenging. I try to focus on getting them tight, but often it takes all of my brain cells to follow along with the music and remember the shapes. I'll try to get in a little practice on it today and see if I can't get through the madness of m. 17 - 21.