The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 117

User Info Menu

I got a nasty rsi-type injury from playing like that. just saying...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    I got a nasty rsi-type injury from playing like that. just saying...
    In your right wrist?
    Last edited by Will Glen; 02-16-2012 at 04:52 PM.

User Info Menu

yup!

Background info: I've had rsi before. Still I'm wary of doing anything in a wrist-bent back position. I've no idea how I'd do any palm muting, but I'm trying not to think about that just now.

By injury I mean anything I need to put ice on, and I couldn't use my rh for brushing teeth for a week.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Will Glen
    Working on trying to get better at time, muting and rest stroke picking. Will be sure to review this of course as I progress and improve. Definitely needs some work.
    These books taught me to play - I *LOVE* them. Just might work through them again for more review.

BIG QUESTION: I cannot find, ANYWHERE, Leavitt's saying that these early exercises should be played with rest strokes.

I'm all for rest strokes - yes! But where does he request this, early in Volume One?

kj

Quote Originally Posted by Kojo27
    These books taught me to play - I *LOVE* them. Just might work through them again for more review.

BIG QUESTION: I cannot find, ANYWHERE, Leavitt's saying that these early exercises should be played with rest strokes.

I'm all for rest strokes - yes! But where does he request this, early in Volume One?

kj
    I don't think he mentions it.

It's been discussed in playing those three-string chords in the early lessons. In a much earlier post, someone asked how to cleanly play those inner-string chords. Ron (I think) mentioned playing these chords as a rest stroke. Apparently that's how he was taught when he studied with Leavitt. I don't remember exactly where this was originally discussed.

User Info Menu

Yes, it was in lessons with Bill that the rest-stroke was discussed. I think it comes up in either Vol 2 or 3, and it may have been an oversight on his part that was too late to correct. When I studied with him, only Vol 1 had been published, and part of my assignment each week was to take several pages of manuscript home and proofread them for him. In any case, it's a good way to learn control, and in actual performance, should be unnecessary if you've done your practicing.

User Info Menu

The man in the DVD says so.
    As ten left thumbs mentions, there is a DVD that comes with the newer edition of the book. In it, Larry Baione demonstrates the examples and mentions that you should use rest stroke technique. Larry's bio on the back of the book mentions he has been Chair of the Berklee College of Music Guitar Department since 1990 and a faculty member since 1974. He studied with Leavitt while Leavitt was developing the book, and he's been teaching the method for 30 years.

User Info Menu

The man in the DVD says so.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    I don't think he mentions it.

It's been discussed in playing those three-string chords in the early lessons. In a much earlier post, someone asked how to cleanly play those inner-string chords. Ron (I think) mentioned playing these chords as a rest stroke. Apparently that's how he was taught when he studied with Leavitt. I don't remember exactly where this was originally discussed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Yes, it was in lessons with Bill that the rest-stroke was discussed. I think it comes up in either Vol 2 or 3, and it may have been an oversight on his part that was too late to correct. When I studied with him, only Vol 1 had been published, and part of my assignment each week was to take several pages of manuscript home and proofread them for him. In any case, it's a good way to learn control, and in actual performance, should be unnecessary if you've done your practicing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsepguitar
    As ten left thumbs mentions, there is a DVD that comes with the newer edition of the book. In it, Larry Baione demonstrates the examples and mentions that you should use rest stroke technique. Larry's bio on the back of the book mentions he has been Chair of the Berklee College of Music Guitar Department since 1990 and a faculty member since 1974. He studied with Leavitt while Leavitt was developing the book, and he's been teaching the method for 30 years.
    Thanks guys. Man, I wish I'd known this when I worked through these in the 80s. Had no teacher, nuttin, and I had some trouble playing these very "simple" pieces cleanly. The rest-stroke would have helped with that.

Strange as it sounds, I never really got the hang of using a pick while using these books. I got the concepts, but could play with control only when I put the pick down. (3 years ago, I got the hang of it. Sort of.) Volume 3 is a TRIP. I'm plodding through that now.

But I might go back and travel through these again, with you guys (quietly in the back of the room), if you don't mind. : ) I'll be a good kid, I promise.

kj

User Info Menu

Volume 3 is a TRIP. I'm plodding through that now.

kj
    I keep thinking, this is so hard, it's got to get easier. So far I've been totally wrong.

User Info Menu

I use pretty much the same pick technique as shown in the video. But I rest more on the strings than the bridge. It's essential for palm muting and keeping lower strings quiet when they're not in use. Especially if the guitar is distorted or turned up loud.

Although Al's right hand seems to work better than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Glen
    Check out how Di Meola's right hand technique throughout all these lesson videos but this video in particular. He emphasizes resting the wrist on the bridge and pivoting as one method. I was floating my right hand, using my pinky as a guide but have found this way to have more control. I've moved my whole arm back and have started to gradually incorporate this technique. I am slowly getting more control and making my motions more concise.

Not the "only" way to do it, but a way to utilize and practice for sure.

User Info Menu

I keep thinking, this is so hard, it's got to get easier. So far I've been totally wrong.
    VOLUME III: it might be a bit harder than the first two... but only in that Leavitt "gets serious" and stops all spoon-feeding, and talks more bluntly to the student.

In case you don't have a copy, here are a couple of things from the Introduction.

"With regard to chords and harmony, diagrams are totally dispensed with [in this volume] and everything is worked out from a knowledge of chord spelling and the construction of voicings."

And... "Mastery of the 'right hand rhythms' pages should enable you to perform any rhythmic combinations that may confront you at any time...assuming, of course, that you have the ability to 'swing.' (If this property is lacking then perhaps you had better throw the pick away.)

That's the basic tone of Volume 3. It makes me think maybe, by this point in writing the set, Leavitt had met and tried to teach scores of Berklee students and had seen too many wannabes who clearly weren't gonnabe.

Who knows. But Vol. 3 is *awesome*. As a whole, the Berklee Books are the best guitar education that a book, or set of books, can provide, imho.

kj
    Last edited by Kojo27; 10-15-2012 at 07:56 AM.

User Info Menu

(If this property is lacking then perhaps you had better throw the pick away.)
    ha ha! He actually says that?

I am actually enjoying the spoonfeeding, but I can see there does come a point...

I only have vol 1 just now, and I can see I should take a break between 'finishing' this and starting vol 2.

User Info Menu

ha ha! He actually says that?

Yes! Uncle Bill breaks bad in volume 3. : ) /// Really, it's a heavenly experience - everything just comes together and makes sense on a huge scale and in a profound way. Or that's what I'm finding to be true anyway. Hang in.

kj

User Info Menu

Great reading so far folks. I'm starting on pages 8-11 tonight after work. I really like that Sea to Sea tune. Slowly but surely I will start gaining,but just because I've been doing music reading the past year. That was a good warm up to these books.

User Info Menu

Hey everybody. I wanted to introduce my self. I am pretty much a stark beginner. I have had a guitar for about a year now, but haven't really done much with it. I have modern method 1, and googled how long to spend on each exercise and it brought up these threads.

Anyways I am working on 1, 2, 3, 4 duet right now. I have never recorded my self so I will see if I can figure that out now.

User Info Menu

Kojo - really, that is music to my ears. I have to admit I've hit a bit of a wall lately.

Welome Brian and gx! Looking forward to hearing your playing. Even if you can't record, you can still post questions and observations here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gxi1247
    Alright I have recorded both parts for 1, 2, 3, 4 duet and the Rhythm accompaniment. The first part I am struggling with the rest stroke. I used to just do a free stroke and if I hit the wrong string, I would say oh well and move on. Now that I have discovered this awesome forum, I want to play the way it was written and with no extra strings. So the first part is pretty choppy.

#1 60 bpm.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Hi gx, I'm going to take this bit by bit. Well done for posting, and especially well done for using a metronome - you chose a good speed. This is mostly accurate apart from the 3rd line. We all have this difficulty with getting the pick to go over the intended strings - only, so you you're not alone there.

Your next step is to try to hold onto the notes a shade longer. This will come when your left hand can get to the right places quicker. Also, when you make a mistake (we all do, it's part of music) as at the top of the new page, just keep going - try not to miss a beat. It's a good habit to adopt from the start.

User Info Menu

How's everyone doing?

I'm hoping some of our newer contributors will soon be able to progress onto some new pages.

Just to repeat some helpful advice I was given earlier on: with the book, aim to move on a couple of pages a week. It doesn't matter if the previous material isn't perfect. Just keep reviewing it, and move on.

User Info Menu

hey guys, this is an old thread but I'm doing the recordings too!

User Info Menu

exercise 6....

User Info Menu

exercise 7 gets a special treatment - once in time, the other more free...

User Info Menu

hi! two more examples to go!

Last edited by Clamps; 10-04-2012 at 01:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Kojo27; 10-23-2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Mercy upon the world.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps
    hi! two more examples to go!

Everything sounds just rosie, Clamps! You read music exceedingly well - did you read before playing guitar? Good job on all this stuff. Keep it up!

Kj

User Info Menu

Hi again. I've been playing guitar for many years, but I haven't really had a teacher for 10 years or so. I studied composition and improvisation in school and was principal bass for the orchestra for most of my time there. My main instrument was the double bass, of course. I've spent the last four years playing the bass in fifths - tuned C G D A, like a cello. I've spent a lot of time working on reading the treble clef, I've been through book 1 and 2 of this modern method series.