The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 117

User Info Menu

First off... fep, MartyW, Fingerstyler, HelpImARock, Aant, TenLeftThumbs... *everybody* (I know I forgot to include a lot of people)... I love hearing your recordings and being part of this great study group with you guys. Your stuff sounds GREAT and I listen to it over and over again to learn as much as I can from it.

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Start the chords studies by playing smoothly and evenly, with the top note of the chord being the loudest. The problem to solve is this: when playing chords with a pick, you are always doing an arpeggio, never actually playing all notes at once. As your aim and control improves, you can increase the speed of the stroke so that your arpeggio is so quick that it sounds almost like you're plucking with fingers. A small psychological trick is to time your stroke so that the final, or melody, note comes on the beat. In other words, anticipate slightly, starting your stroke a little before the metronome ticks. To hear this in practice, play the chord sequence in question just using the top notes, then play the sequence with the full chords; the melody should remain rhythmically in the same place. I can recommend listening carefully to the early plectrum stylists, from Van Eps to Eddie Lang, Art Ryerson, Dick McDonough, etc., and also more modern players such as Barney Kessel and Johnny Smith.
    Ron, thanks very much for the information. I'm saving it on disk to refer back to as I go along. I'm working on making my strum quicker so I have that down when I need to use it. Point taken about the last note being on the beat.

Quote Originally Posted by fingerstyler
    Nice job strumcat. It sounds very smooth and effortless. Well done.

I recorded your C-diddy last night. Here is the link if you want to take a listen.

It's a bit to slow in the beginning, I was trying to emphasize the low C's as a sort of drone...Anyway I like the tune too.

Cheers,
    fs
    Anything but effortless... more like two accidental good takes after endless repetition and mistakes. Thanks muchly for recording C-Ditty. Sounds great and the slow start is just expressive artistic license. Gotta get away from the metronome once in a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Aant
    ...the E note at the beginning of measure 5 for instance is barely hearable, not too sure why... The chords sound very good also, very neat.
    I'm glad you mentioned that. Yes, I can't seem to get the same volume on the high E string as the other strings no matter what I do with my Moridira Hurricane. Tried different pickups, adjustments, strings, saddle/nut cleaning... guess it's time for either a setup or a new guitar. It's only worth about $80 anyway. I'll try to EQ it a little better. Maybe I'll try using my acoustic instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    I recorded the duet also, here I give the two parts separately so anyone can play along (the dvd is better, but not everyone has it)
    one two three four pt 1.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    one two three four pt 2.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

The mistakes are quite noticeable. I did my favourite booboo of sticking an open string D under the F chord, making it a much more dramatic Dmin7. Hey, I suppose there is a D in the 2nd guitar part, nevertheless, I *am* trying to play what is written, but this is one mistake my fingers make so consistently I am beginning to wonder if they do it deliberately.

I could have done it again, and I would just put the mistakes in different places, so I figured I would call it a day.

Also, pg 11:
    pg 11 rhythm.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

I am really impressed with everyone else's recordings. Strumcat's duet in particular has fallen short of his promise that, by comparison, I would be able to feel great about mine.
    TLT, everybody here has their strengths and weaknesses. Your strength is your musical knowledge and reading ability. As you gain more dexterity with your hands, that will be a huge advantage. Your part 2 recording is much better than part 1 recording, because chords and chord changes are harder for you right now. You played the single note part straight through, because of your strong music reading. I guarantee that you would make far fewer mistakes than me if we played a new single note exercise together, or even a familiar one. Your rhythm exercise is better, too, probably because of your piano background. Lastly, I apologize for persisting through an incredible number of bad takes until I hit a couple that sounded ok. From now on I'm just gonna leave the warts in.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strumcat

TLT, everybody here has their strengths and weaknesses. Your strength is your musical knowledge and reading ability. As you gain more dexterity with your hands, that will be a huge advantage. Your part 2 recording is much better than part 1 recording, because chords and chord changes are harder for you right now. You played the single note part straight through, because of your strong music reading. I guarantee that you would make far fewer mistakes than me if we played a new single note exercise together, or even a familiar one. Your rhythm exercise is better, too, probably because of your piano background. Lastly, I apologize for persisting through an incredible number of bad takes until I hit a couple that sounded ok. From now on I'm just gonna leave the warts in.
    I just feel incredibly lucky that my parents forked out all those years for piano lessons. I didn't really appreciate it at the time. My sightreading at piano is actually quite poor.

But really, Strumcat, you don't need to apologise for practising.

User Info Menu

Theory Warning!

Again I would like to add some theory, which isn't really explained in the book, for the benefit of those who don't already know. I hope this is helpful. Music theory can come across as quite complex, and, to make things harder, the initiated talk in a kind of code or abbreviated language that can be difficult to unpick.

On page 11 we are introduced to the chord names for some of the chords we have been playing. When it says "C" this is short for "C major". The major chord the commonest kind of chord in western music, so it's become the default. So if you say "C" and don't qualify if with "C7" or "C minor", then it's assumed its a C major.

A major chord is taken from notes 1, 3 and 5 of the major scale, so for C major this is C, E and G. These notes can appear in any order, and it's still a C major chord, so page 11 gives us two forms of the C major chord, one with E at the top, one with G at the top, and they're both different combinations of the same notes.

The notes we have learned so far (notes of the C major scale) just happen to give us two other major chords: F major (F, A and C) and G major (G, B and D). You played a G major chord on pg 5, ex 3, bar 6. Here it's played open strings D, G and B.

The G7 that you see on pg11 is a different kind of chord from G major. The G7 includes all the notes of the G major chord, but also has the 7th note (F).

User Info Menu

One more thing on the rest stroke thingy.

Here's an easy warm-up that I do before starting the exercises. Helps with the smoothness and the dynamics. I try to get all the 3rd string notes to sound the same volume. The chords are: C, F, G & C

Code:
    --------------------------------------------------
    --0--0--0--0----2--2--2--2----0--0--0--0----0--0--
    -----2-----2-------3-----3-------0-----0-------2--
    -----3-----3-------3-----3-------2-----2-------3--
    Last edited by Marty W; 01-14-2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Fixed the spacing. Fep, thanks for the code tip!

User Info Menu

Marty, I like that exercise.

If you replace the [tab] and use the [code] (icon (#)) it will line up:

Code:
    ---------------------------------------------
    --1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-0-0-0-0-1-1-1--------------
    ----0---0---2---2---0---0---0----etc.--------
    ----2---2---3---3---0---0---2----------------
    Last edited by fep; 01-14-2012 at 11:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty W
    Sounding good Rock, nice improvement over the first version. I appreciate your extra effort.

Don't know if you do this but I strum a few rest strokes to warm-up before starting a piece. Makes it easier to get them smooth.
    i should really work on my rest strokes. i practice with the rest strokes, but as soon as that red light goes on, it all becomes free strokes.

thanks for the feedback.

Hello All,

I've been following along with this thread and have decided to post my attempt at One, Two, Three, Four Duet at 68 bpm.

FYI, I am a total beginner that is using Modern Method to learn how to play guitar, so I apologize in advance for the slow tempo and any flubs.

I am really focusing on proper technique and making sure not to rush, but any feedback for a newbie is greatly appreciated.

Here is a link.

User Info Menu

sounds good Irwin. This book is a real challenge for a total beginner. You're playing the right notes, right rhythm. speed doesn't matter.

irwin great you played w/good timing most of the time and were not timid about what you were doing. great if you are com0pletely new at guitar-you are doing very well. i would like to hear the first part, also try to record the accompniment a rate at around 80; see how you like it.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting Irwin.

It will be a challenge as a beginner to keep up. I hope you do because you'll make a ton of progress this year. (But if you don't these threads will always be here and you can go at your own pace).

I'll be really interested in your progress. I'm exited to see where a new beginner, who follows this course, will progress too in 6 months or one year.

Cheers

hi to everyone - i really hate to see people on their soapbox but i have to do this. i played this course about 4 years ago and i must admit that i didn,t taske it all very seriously since i have had a lot of musical training in sax and flute. i felt a lot was beneith me so didnt try to hard.. wel`l- now that i really want to make a success out of the jazz guitar i find that now i m u s t go back over everybit of music i didnt takes seriously. after being in this forum for a while i now realize that all the trouble i am having is because i didnt work when i should have. i admonish anyone to be very careful and serious about these little dittys and easy sheets. if you dont get them cold youll have to do it later. it,s no fun admitting being wrong but i was and now i must pay

User Info Menu

Hey everyone...my copy of this FINALLY showed up yesterday. I have today and tomorrow off work, so I'll be trying to catch up to the group. Looking forward to learning and hopefully contributing as well.

User Info Menu

Have fun, richard and morroben. Looks like there will be a new thread each week, but the old ones will still be here. Important to go at your own pace.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by richard vandyne
    hi to everyone - i really hate to see people on their soapbox but i have to do this. i played this course about 4 years ago and i must admit that i didn,t taske it all very seriously since i have had a lot of musical training in sax and flute. i felt a lot was beneith me so didnt try to hard.. wel`l- now that i really want to make a success out of the jazz guitar i find that now i m u s t go back over everybit of music i didnt takes seriously. after being in this forum for a while i now realize that all the trouble i am having is because i didnt work when i should have. i admonish anyone to be very careful and serious about these little dittys and easy sheets. if you dont get them cold youll have to do it later. it,s no fun admitting being wrong but i was and now i must pay
    +1 to that Richard. I don't mind at all going back and working on the basics as I think a good foundation is important.

User Info Menu

Still playing catch-up. Posting with all the warts. I'm a bit confused about the rest stroke. I'm trying not to look ahead so as not to get discouraged, but I don't see anything about rest strokes or muting in the book until the Rhythm Accompaniment on pg 11. Am I missing something? If someone can clarify I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
    p8, ex5.wav - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    p8, ex6.wav - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    p9, ex7.wav - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

This replaces a post which linked to .wav files instead of mp3.

p10, 11, 1234 (duet), p11 Rhythm Accompaniment

p 11 Rhythm Accompaniment.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    p11, Rhythm Accompaniment.wav - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldhead
    This replaces a post which linked to .wav files instead of mp3.

p10, 11, 1234 (duet), p11 Rhythm Accompaniment

p 11 Rhythm Accompaniment.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    p11, Rhythm Accompaniment.wav - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Hey Dave,

I'm going back and checking to see if there were any late entries that didn't get comments and I found these that you posted.

Man, you've been doing a lot of work to catch up and I can hear your progress. I think that's really cool, and progress like yours (and others) makes me feel these threads are really worthwhile.

These last two links are not available, it seems the files have been moved. I listened to all the other exercises you posted at the end of this thread.

1 2 3 4 duet, you pulled it off, but for others that might be reading this, you don't need to play it that fast.

The rest of the exercises, good progresses, I'm not going to nit as you've already shown on later recordings that you've gotten past any critiques I could make here.

Regarding the rest stroke. Has that question been resolved? If not check out Ronjazz's posts to these threads and I also think there is a Marty video where he has a close-up of his right hand, look for that. If it's still not resolved, post a question on the most recent thread and I'll make a video and see if that will resolve your question.

User Info Menu

Thanks, FEP. Yes, I think the rest stroke has been resolved. I'm not going to put a lot of emphasis on it at this point. If I can, I will, but it's not going to be a priority.

User Info Menu

I think also muting is not a priority just now.

User Info Menu

I think I got this converted to an MP3 rather than a WAV file that had to be downloaded. I'm almost ready to upload the other exercises as well.

Exercise 5 page 8.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

EDIT:

http://www.box.com/s/kobhuqtoxxqeq5zpbg22
    Last edited by Will Glen; 02-10-2012 at 04:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Sounds accurate, Will, well done.

User Info Menu

One Two Three Four Duet pg 10.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Working on trying to get better at time, muting and rest stroke picking. Will be sure to review this of course as I progress and improve. Definitely needs some work.

User Info Menu

Sounds good, Will. thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Check out how Di Meola's right hand technique throughout all these lesson videos but this video in particular. He emphasizes resting the wrist on the bridge and pivoting as one method. I was floating my right hand, using my pinky as a guide but have found this way to have more control. I've moved my whole arm back and have started to gradually incorporate this technique. I am slowly getting more control and making my motions more concise.

Not the "only" way to do it, but a way to utilize and practice for sure.