The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 164 of 164

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jusca
    Have you been playing guitar for a while (before starting Leavitt's method)?
    Yes I actually played for 8 years and then I quit until recently. Now I'm way into building some real firm basic skills.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just for kicks and giggles, as Austin Powers would say.
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

I am new to this series as I decided to learn notation and improve my general playing before diving into the jazz lessons. I do have a biginner-intermediate knowledge of Piano and basic guitar technique, but am new to reading notation for guitar.
    I've noticed that I strugged BIG TIME on the first two solos in this book. However, after watching the DVD lessons explained, I noticed the instructor mentions the chord shapes, and I wrote them down on another sheet, sort of a 'cheat sheet' if you will. I then got through the solos without much trouble after a few runs.

I realize this is a new train of thought....telling my fingers to play multiple NOTES on the fretboard, rather than 'chord shapes'.
    Is this intentional for book 1? Meaning, should I try not to think of the chord shapes for now, or would I be doing a dis-service to myself by at least writing the chord names above the notation? Maybe write them in at first then cover them?
    I'm curious what other people's thoughts are on this.

*Edit* I did notice before some solos / duets that there are chord form warmup exercises that would sort of match up with the next song. This is why I'm a little confused if I should be thinking of chord forms or not. Part of me wonders if the author expects us to just apply the chord forms knowingly.

User Info Menu

The notes were written because a specific voicing was intended. You are to play the notes as written, and only those notes.

As you progress you will play ever more complex arrangements and chord voicings. I see nothing wrong with writing a symbol and even a chord diagram/grid if it helps you learn a particular tune or arrangement. After enough practice you won't need the symbol or chord diagram. In fact, for your recitals you should memorize arrangements - no looking at anything except your hands on the guitar.

It's a little crutch but if you continue to practice and progress you will need these diagrams and symbols less and less. It's no big deal at this stage. Whatever helps you to (reasonably) quickly learn to play the material correctly is fine.

User Info Menu

Ahh yes. A new year with new ambitions. I am glad I found this group. Gets me motivated. I will try to post a couple of times a week.

Exercise #1 @ 80 bpm

Edited link. I had originally uploaded file as a wav. Changed to mp3.
    Last edited by georgebanketas; 01-01-2019 at 02:37 PM.

User Info Menu

I have been practicing extending the note for a little bit longer. I put click track and the waveform next to each other. It looks like I am rushing the beat just a hair. I can't tell it when it is just one guitar and the click. Two guitars and the click and I can tell that that couple millisecond rush makes the piece sound messy.

Exercise 2
    @ 80 bpm

User Info Menu

Reading the stacks of notes, if stacks is the correct term to use, is becoming easier and easier to read. It is to the point where I see the stack and know where to put my fingers. My comfort zone will end once the accidentals get thrown into the mix and position changes. That is why practice was invented. Hahahaha!

Exercise #3
    @ 80 bpm

Exercise #4 @ 80 bpm

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Sounds good George. If you want to challenge yourself just a little, try to notch up the tempo just a bit. Maybe 100 bpm

User Info Menu

I bumped up the click to 100bpm. I like the challenge. There are a few spots I rushed. I also I think that I am pressing down harder when making a change from single note to chord. I can't really feel it but I hear a modulation in sound. Sounds like it goes sharp to flat. I listened to the recording but I could not hear it. Maybe I am just hearing things.

Exercise #5 @ 100bpm

Exercise #6 @ 100bpm

User Info Menu

Well I'm happy to (re) kick it off.

Here are a few of the Volume 1 early studies. I think that I was learning panning at the time but not necessarily EQ, if you know what I mean. I will try not to be so boomy from now on, promise.
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

A couple more if I can figure out how to upload.

Leavitt Volume 1 - Page 22.mp3

Leavitt Volume 1 - Page 20.mp3

User Info Menu

Hi All,

as anticipated, the train of a new study group for A Modern Method for Guitar (by William Leavitt) is about to leave the station.

The official start date will be July 22nd: this should give prospective students enough time to decide and, eventually, purchase the book.

The first new thread will be "[Study Group] NEW A Modern Method for Guitar" to collect comments and suggestions; then I would like to start with the same structure used by the original group, working on a number of pages per week, according to the pace set by our predecessors.

Here is a link to the introductory thread: NEW A Modern Method for Guitar

Let the fun begin!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    When I recorded this is occurred to me that some might use this as a play-along. So I recorded it with two tempos, twice at each tempo on the first one. I didn't count out load because I was recording, Leavitt recommends that you count.

Self critique:

- My pinky is flying away from the fretboard, I need to all my fingers close to the fretboard.

- The dynamics aren't as consistent as I'd like.

- It doesn't sound like music, it sounds like an exercise. This kind of exercise might be hard to make it sound like music but one should try.

One observation, is it's hard to play that slow. Kind of like walking but at a pace of one step every three seconds, try it it's hard. You might find it easier at the faster tempo. Another difficulty is knowing the tape is running, we'll all probably get over that the more we record.

I am very interested in going through this book. And I would like to read through this thread and see associated videos that you link. What happened to the YouTube video that you link? They show as no longer available.