Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Posts 351 to 391 of 391

User Info Menu

And here's exercise 6 at 100 bpm; actually happy to record with some daylight. Going to try and get the click on record as well in the future.

Last edited by Langs; 02-02-2014 at 05:31 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Langs View Post
    Hey jusca thats awesome,

Don't let not having a webcam let you wait to dive right in! Do you have a mic on your computer or a line in jack input? That would be enough to get you started and share mp3's of your recording.

Being able to post videos and above average sound quality are bonusses IMO.
    Ah. Good idea of recording mp3s. I didn't think of doing that in the meantime. Have you been playing guitar for a while (before starting Leavitt's method)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jusca View Post
    Have you been playing guitar for a while (before starting Leavitt's method)?
    Yes I actually played for 8 years and then I quit until recently. Now I'm way into building some real firm basic skills.

User Info Menu

I know that this ship has long since sailed, but following in the footsteps of those that went before...

Sea to Sea, guitar 2 only, not sure how to merge 2 tracks in Audacity (and becoming proficient with Audacity isn't really my aim).

80 bpm, it certainly felt a lot faster than it sounds when I was recording it, strange that!

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1
    Last edited by michael-m; 12-15-2013 at 07:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey Michael -

Sounds really good, man - good recording quality. Your timing is dead on. I like that, especially. Mustering the determination to figure out how to overdub with Audacity took me a while. Good news is, it's SUPER simple. Do it once and you'll wonder why on earth you ever hesitated. I'll help any way I can - just say something.

BTW, the ship didn't "sail" so much as it drifted into uncharted waters, and the already seasoned sailors took a speedboat to safety. The rest of us were left to ourselves and the rats.

Just joking, sorta.

I'd like to finish the book, too. I'll give it some thought.

Do you sight-read already? (I don't - I can decipher almost anything, but I don't yet read and play from the page, at tempo....)

kj

User Info Menu

Hello Michael,

Very properly done indeed. Also curious to know if you've sightread before.

If you recorded your first guitar, then hit record again, audacity will automatically make a new track for you and have you jump right in. When you're done, you can go to file -> export and save the file to your hard drive. This will also automatically make a mix of both tracks.

Hope I helped you with this.

Me personally I'm actually still on the ship hanging with the rats. Moving all my recorded material to another youtube account, also adding new recordings to manage. It's taking time, but getting there. Maybe by the time you're at page 30 I have all my stuff ready and we're on the boat together again.

User Info Menu

That sounds bang on, Michael! Welcome aboard!
    I am responsible for all my mistakes.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind comments, I wasn't really expecting any replies, but thought I'd post anyway as a "motivational tool" so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojo27 View Post
    Hey Michael -

Do you sight-read already? (I don't - I can decipher almost anything, but I don't yet read and play from the page, at tempo....)

kj
    Quote Originally Posted by Langs View Post
    Hello Michael,

Also curious to know if you've sight read before.
    I wouldn't claim that I could/can sight read (TAB reader!), though neither am I completely without any prior knowledge. From childhood (i.e. about 40 years ago!) I remember "Every Good Boy Deserves Fruit" and "FACE", and there's a post-it note in page 25 of MM indicating how far I got last time (but life got in the way as it sometimes does and I didn't get the guitar out of the case for just over a year).

So I'm back for another go at the book with a definite "plan of action"! This has been my only recording from this first lesson whist others have previously done c-stroll, c- saw, Ho Ho Ho down etc. I started to write out a one guitar version of Sea to Sea, but don't want to get too hung up on perfecting/finishing everything so as to avoid getting bogged down.

Michael

I

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs View Post
    That sounds bang on, Michael! Welcome aboard!
    Thank you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher View Post
    I'd say "yes" to downstrokes. As far as chord names, I'd call that "extra credit".

Learning to read these three-note voicings in notation is the challenge here, even if you've worked through single-note or classical reading methods previously. Also, playing some of these voicings without muting the open string in the middle can be a challenge and requires a different technique from classical playing.

With a non-classical nut width, you have to err on the side of touching adjacent non-played strings to let these inner, open notes ring. Of course, this mutes the non-played strings -- and that's a good thing, but, again, different from a traditional classical technique.
    I've always done down strokes for quarter notes and alternate picking for eighth notes and up.

User Info Menu

I am new to this forum.. this is so awesome!! i got my old william leavitt book out and going through it again. This place Rawks!!

Britney

User Info Menu

I am new to this forum. I have done MM1 up to p.35. I will start to revise, record and upload exercise video on this forum.

User Info Menu

Hi everyone,

I'm new in this group, I know how to read in first position because I received some classical training in the past. My goal is to develop a a good pick technique, but I have a dilemma, should I memorize and practice all the exercises o just read them?

Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by cachalote View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm new in this group, I know how to read in first position because I received some classical training in the past. My goal is to develop a a good pick technique, but I have a dilemma, should I memorize and practice all the exercises o just read them?

Thanks all
    Unless specifically indicated as a "sight reading" exercise, practice and play through as many times as needed .

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Just for kicks and giggles, as Austin Powers would say.
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

I am new to this series as I decided to learn notation and improve my general playing before diving into the jazz lessons. I do have a biginner-intermediate knowledge of Piano and basic guitar technique, but am new to reading notation for guitar.
    I've noticed that I strugged BIG TIME on the first two solos in this book. However, after watching the DVD lessons explained, I noticed the instructor mentions the chord shapes, and I wrote them down on another sheet, sort of a 'cheat sheet' if you will. I then got through the solos without much trouble after a few runs.

I realize this is a new train of thought....telling my fingers to play multiple NOTES on the fretboard, rather than 'chord shapes'.
    Is this intentional for book 1? Meaning, should I try not to think of the chord shapes for now, or would I be doing a dis-service to myself by at least writing the chord names above the notation? Maybe write them in at first then cover them?
    I'm curious what other people's thoughts are on this.

*Edit* I did notice before some solos / duets that there are chord form warmup exercises that would sort of match up with the next song. This is why I'm a little confused if I should be thinking of chord forms or not. Part of me wonders if the author expects us to just apply the chord forms knowingly.

User Info Menu

The notes were written because a specific voicing was intended. You are to play the notes as written, and only those notes.

As you progress you will play ever more complex arrangements and chord voicings. I see nothing wrong with writing a symbol and even a chord diagram/grid if it helps you learn a particular tune or arrangement. After enough practice you won't need the symbol or chord diagram. In fact, for your recitals you should memorize arrangements - no looking at anything except your hands on the guitar.

It's a little crutch but if you continue to practice and progress you will need these diagrams and symbols less and less. It's no big deal at this stage. Whatever helps you to (reasonably) quickly learn to play the material correctly is fine.

User Info Menu

Hi everyone,
    I am new to this Mickey Baker study group. Yesterday I got my MB Jazz Guitar Volume 1 book. Starting yesterday evening with lesson 2 I recognized that the chord shapes in lesson 1 for min6 and min7 chord are a bit different. Is it necessary to play the E6 string for min6 and min7 chord, too? Looking at many other chord shapes for min6 and min7 the E6 string, like the A string, is muted for this too chords.

A Modern Method For Guitar Vol 1 pages 1 to 8-min6-jpgA Modern Method For Guitar Vol 1 pages 1 to 8-min7-jpg

But not in the Mickey Baker book.
    These two chrords are much easier to play muting the E6 string and in my opinion they sound better, too.
    Any information appreciated.
    Last edited by Musgo Real; 11-04-2018 at 05:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi there,

two weeks are gone and noone answered to my question...is this study group dead?

Regards, Musgo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Musgo Real View Post
    Hi there,

two weeks are gone and noone answered to my question...is this study group dead?

Regards, Musgo.
    Maybe this isn't the Mickey Baker study group? A Modern Method For Guitar Vol 1 pages 1 to 8

Sent from my MYA-L11 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Hi there,

Regards, Musgo.
    But fwiw yes play the note on the low E string especially when playing solo. You can get some nice bass movement going which MB shows a bit later in the book.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker View Post
    But fwiw yes play the note on the low E string especially when playing solo. You can get some nice bass movement going which MB shows a bit later in the book.

Thank you. It is hard to play this maj7 chord with the E string.
    Last edited by Musgo Real; 11-16-2018 at 06:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Thank you. It is hard to play this maj7 chord with the E string.
    you mean m7?

bar with your 3rd finger.

User Info Menu

Ahh yes. A new year with new ambitions. I am glad I found this group. Gets me motivated. I will try to post a couple of times a week.

Exercise #1 @ 80 bpm

Edited link. I had originally uploaded file as a wav. Changed to mp3.
    Last edited by georgebanketas; 01-01-2019 at 02:37 PM.

User Info Menu

You might try uploading the file in .mp3 format. Wav files are rather large.

User Info Menu

Thank you for catching that! I could have sworn I set my encoder to mp3.

User Info Menu

I have been practicing extending the note for a little bit longer. I put click track and the waveform next to each other. It looks like I am rushing the beat just a hair. I can't tell it when it is just one guitar and the click. Two guitars and the click and I can tell that that couple millisecond rush makes the piece sound messy.

Exercise 2
    @ 80 bpm

User Info Menu

Reading the stacks of notes, if stacks is the correct term to use, is becoming easier and easier to read. It is to the point where I see the stack and know where to put my fingers. My comfort zone will end once the accidentals get thrown into the mix and position changes. That is why practice was invented. Hahahaha!

Exercise #3
    @ 80 bpm

Exercise #4 @ 80 bpm

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Sounds good George. If you want to challenge yourself just a little, try to notch up the tempo just a bit. Maybe 100 bpm

User Info Menu

I bumped up the click to 100bpm. I like the challenge. There are a few spots I rushed. I also I think that I am pressing down harder when making a change from single note to chord. I can't really feel it but I hear a modulation in sound. Sounds like it goes sharp to flat. I listened to the recording but I could not hear it. Maybe I am just hearing things.

Exercise #5 @ 100bpm

Exercise #6 @ 100bpm

User Info Menu

Sounds good to me George!

User Info Menu

Is anyone working on MMFG right now who would like a fellow traveler?
    Alex

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atarchin View Post
    Is anyone working on MMFG right now who would like a fellow traveler?
    Alex

I might, what volume? (1,2,3?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt View Post
    I might, what volume? (1,2,3?)
    I would like to start with 1

User Info Menu

Did the previous players dating back to January stop and you're trying to begin anew?

User Info Menu

Well I'm happy to (re) kick it off.

Here are a few of the Volume 1 early studies. I think that I was learning panning at the time but not necessarily EQ, if you know what I mean. I will try not to be so boomy from now on, promise.
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

A couple more if I can figure out how to upload.

Leavitt Volume 1 - Page 22.mp3

Leavitt Volume 1 - Page 20.mp3

User Info Menu

Hi All,

as anticipated, the train of a new study group for A Modern Method for Guitar (by William Leavitt) is about to leave the station.

The official start date will be July 22nd: this should give prospective students enough time to decide and, eventually, purchase the book.

The first new thread will be "[Study Group] NEW A Modern Method for Guitar" to collect comments and suggestions; then I would like to start with the same structure used by the original group, working on a number of pages per week, according to the pace set by our predecessors.

Here is a link to the introductory thread: NEW A Modern Method for Guitar

Let the fun begin!

User Info Menu

Awesome!! I would like to join. I started in this thread a couple months back but hurt my hand. I have been out of commission. I could use a start over.