Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 201 to 250 of 391
  1. #201

    User Info Menu

    What a wonderful site and community you all have here! I'm in.

    I actually started doing THE Leavitt book Vol. 1, last Friday, I think it was. I was getting stumped on Ex. 10 and decided to look for some audio examples and luckily found this lovely place.

    So, I'll try to follow along and contribute when and if a can. I've never had any music lessons and I definitely don't read music. I have some singer songwriter stuff up on the youtubes...that's the only kind of stuff I've ever really done. I have teamed with some old timey type guys in new bluegrass collaboration, but that's another animal.

    I'm not sure if these threads are dead (the older ones) but they're open so here's my meager attempt at Sea to Sea.

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62435963/Sea...et%2084BPM.mp3

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #202

    User Info Menu

    I had the very same experience. I learned about this book researching online and then went online and found some YouTube videos, but eventually Google pulled up this thread. I was very excited. I got a late start as well and being able to read the threads is extremely helpful. This is an indispensable source for people going through this book on their own. Glad you could make it and sounds great.

  4. #203

    User Info Menu

    Hi cj, we don't appear to be dead yet! welcome. If you've just got the book and your stuck on ex 10, then I'd say you're doing pretty well! Just keep going, you will make progress.

    re your recording, sounds good. Nice to hear you count yourself in. often you strum right through the strings, sounding your top E. You need to think about where your pick is going to land, so if you're to play E, G and C, then your pick lands on that E string and doesn't strum through it. If you go through the thread you'll find some material on rest strokes which may help.
    I am responsible for all my mistakes.

  5. #204

    User Info Menu

    Ok. After a brief hiatus I am now back on board. Got distracted practicing some fingerstyle songs but now I am ready to go. Got some confirmation on my direction now I am more motivated to get through these series of books.I won't be trying to catch up, but this is what I wil be working on each day. See you in the funny papers!!

  6. #205

    User Info Menu

    Finished the exercises, now working on Sea to Sea. Its a pretty little song. The three string chords are funny though, but I'm getting the hang of them.

  7. #206

    User Info Menu

    I thought I'd post my rest-stroke and muting demos together here to help anyone getting started with the group. We've had quite a discussion on the difficulties of these techniques.

    Here are my thoughts on the basic rest-stroke idea:




    Here are 2 ways to strum the rest-stroke --slow and fast:




    Muting ideas that can be used in the exercises:

    Last edited by Marty W; 02-25-2012 at 08:17 PM.

  8. #207

    User Info Menu

    Hi Gang,

    I'm new to the forum and aspiring to play some jazz guitar one day, but at the moment I am a complete beginner. I am following along with the Leavitt Method and I am doing ok with interpreting most of the notes, however I am experiencing some challenges with the chord notation. Has someone by any chance made any chord charts for the chords in the books? For example the 3 note chords in first few exercises. I can't tell what they are supposed to be.

    Thanks

  9. #208

    User Info Menu

    Hi Rick, it's a feature of the book, you work the chords out note by note. It feels a lot of work at the beginning, but the same chords repeat so much, you do get used to them. There are chord charts later on in the book, if you leaf through you will see.
    I am responsible for all my mistakes.

  10. #209

    User Info Menu

    Thanks for the response. I realized that I wasn't paying close enough attention to the exercise. You need to hold down each note and that creates the chord. I guess he was trying to convey the individual notes in the chords. interesting method. The format is quite different from other books I've tried using but I will stick with it since there are many helpful people here I can ask for help or guidance.

    Thanks again!

  11. #210

    User Info Menu

    Thank you very much for this study group. I have the book but tried only the first exercises. At the beginning I thought I could learn faster with skills and basic scales exercises, without reading notation. But I read somewhere in this forum that if I really want to play jazz, I would need to begin from scratch. And studying the guitar I began to want more and more jazz, reproduce the music on my mind to the guitar. I have all my life and inocent dedication to learn and appreciate each chord of Sea to Sea. Once again, thank you for this threads about the book

  12. #211

    User Info Menu

    I'm relatively new to guitar, and have been trying to self-teach with a variety of methods. One of the methods I want to work through is Leavitt's, and I own a copy of MMG Volume 1 w/ the DVD. This study group looks like a fantastic way to participate, although I'm worried my playing will definitely not be up to par compared to most of you. Is it too late to jump in and start posting on these older study group threads?

    Regards,
    Will

  13. #212

    User Info Menu

    Water's nice and warm, wr and xax. I wouldn't worry too much about level, we are all where we are and we only get better by practice. sometimes when I see and hear someone really great i think, they were once a beginner too. Sure and certain fact. They weren't born able to play. Everything I am going through, they did too. Well, maybe not quite everything...
    I am responsible for all my mistakes.

  14. #213

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs View Post
    Water's nice and warm, wr and xax. I wouldn't worry too much about level, we are all where we are and we only get better by practice. sometimes when I see and hear someone really great i think, they were once a beginner too. Sure and certain fact. They weren't born able to play. Everything I am going through, they did too. Well, maybe not quite everything...
    +1. If you practice, review, practice, review... well, you get it - you'll be surprised at how you'll progress. You get out of it what you put in. Good luck.

  15. #214

    User Info Menu

    So, here is Sea to Sea, playing the duet with myself... I am a newbie to GarageBand, and I'm sure there is a better way I could have recorded it. There are a couple bad fumbles, including the final middle C at the end of the second part. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! I'm pretty much a complete newbie at this; I've been playing the guitar off and on for almost seven months now, but haven't seemed to make any progress.
    Sea to Sea

  16. #215

    User Info Menu

    nice work, sounds good, certainly good progress if you hadn't played before. There's a lot to do in getting it right - notes, rhythm, hitting the right strings, etc. It's good you played with the metronome - sometimes you went a little ahead of the beat, and then corrected yourself. It's worth sticking to the metronome as much as you can bear.

    So the secret with this book is to keep going. Just so you know.
    I am responsible for all my mistakes.

  17. #216

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs View Post
    nice work, sounds good, certainly good progress if you hadn't played before. There's a lot to do in getting it right - notes, rhythm, hitting the right strings, etc. It's good you played with the metronome - sometimes you went a little ahead of the beat, and then corrected yourself. It's worth sticking to the metronome as much as you can bear.

    So the secret with this book is to keep going. Just so you know.
    Thanks for the feedback and encouragement, TLT! I've been trying to learn from this book for a while now, but I am ashamed to admit that I was really slacking on the use of a metronome. When I sat down to record Sea To Sea, I realized how much I had been speeding up on the easier parts and slowing down on the hard parts. It's much more difficult this way, and I'm basically starting over and promising myself I'll regularly use the metronome.

  18. #217

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wrbriggs View Post
    So, here is Sea to Sea, playing the duet with myself... I've been playing the guitar off and on for almost seven months now, but haven't seemed to make any progress.
    Sea to Sea
    From the sounds of this you are now making progress. Keep it up!

  19. #218

    User Info Menu

    take your time and get the pages stuck in your head...

    learning to play jazz is a bit harder as you may know..

    the journey is more enjoyable than the destination...enjoy yourself...

    time on the instrument...pierre

  20. #219

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wrbriggs View Post
    Thanks for the feedback and encouragement, TLT! I've been trying to learn from this book for a while now, but I am ashamed to admit that I was really slacking on the use of a metronome. When I sat down to record Sea To Sea, I realized how much I had been speeding up on the easier parts and slowing down on the hard parts. It's much more difficult this way, and I'm basically starting over and promising myself I'll regularly use the metronome.
    Ah yes, well you wouldn't know it from this recording - that was fine. Metronomes are annoying because they make us keep good time. It is good to practice without, too, because ultimately you need to be able to create that pulse without the machine doing it for you.

    The opposite problem is to speed up on the harder parts - I'm guilty of that one sometimes.
    I am responsible for all my mistakes.

  21. #220

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs View Post
    Ah yes, well you wouldn't know it from this recording - that was fine. Metronomes are annoying because they make us keep good time. It is good to practice without, too, because ultimately you need to be able to create that pulse without the machine doing it for you.

    The opposite problem is to speed up on the harder parts - I'm guilty of that one sometimes.
    I do that on the alternate picking eighth-note exercises. Now that I'm going back through with a metronome, I'm realizing how much I've been cheating.

  22. #221

    User Info Menu

    Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum, having stumbled on to this site not too long ago and after seeing the study group thread(s) for Modern Method, I decided to buy a copy and give it a go myself. So far, I'm really only on the first exercise, but I'm really motivated ! I do find myself playing ahead of actually reading the note (after having played the exercise a few times). I'm really trying to stop myself from doing that, so I'm speaking the note as I read/play it.

    So for now, I'll just keep practicing and will follow this thread closely !

    Cheers
    Steven

  23. #222

    User Info Menu

    Hi Steven and welcome, will you be able to record yourself?
    I am responsible for all my mistakes.

  24. #223

    User Info Menu

    Record myself ? I could but would probably get kicked off the forum for subjecting members to it
    Is this requirement to participating in the thread ?

  25. #224

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
    Hi Gang,

    I'm new to the forum and aspiring to play some jazz guitar one day, but at the moment I am a complete beginner. I am following along with the Leavitt Method and I am doing ok with interpreting most of the notes, however I am experiencing some challenges with the chord notation. Has someone by any chance made any chord charts for the chords in the books? For example the 3 note chords in first few exercises. I can't tell what they are supposed to be.

    Thanks
    Hi Rick,

    There are chord diagrams later in the book. I'm guessing Leavitt doesn't show diagrams and chord symbols for some of the exercises because he wants us to learn to read the notes without these aids. Just keep working on it and you'll eventually recognize them.

    I think a chord chart is a good idea for later in the book as we start to work with Leavitt's chord diagrams.

  26. #225

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by slm View Post
    Record myself ? I could but would probably get kicked off the forum for subjecting members to it
    Is this requirement to participating in the thread ?
    Nope, you won't get kicked off. We love it when participants record themselves and post on the threads, it is a great tool and will improve your playing.

  27. #226

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post
    Nope, you won't get kicked off. We love it when participants record themselves and post on the threads, it is a great tool and will improve your playing.
    I agree with FEP. The one thing that has helped me more than anything (excluding the critiques of others) is recording. Just join in the fun!

  28. #227

    User Info Menu

    Still here, still practicing
    Just need to find some quiet time to record my progress. I've actually started to practice Sea to Sea (the first guitar part). Of course, I do have to work out a bit ahead of time what the chord is, but it's going rather well.

    Cheers
    Steven

  29. #228

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by slm View Post
    Still here, still practicing
    Just need to find some quiet time to record my progress. I've actually started to practice Sea to Sea (the first guitar part). Of course, I do have to work out a bit ahead of time what the chord is, but it's going rather well.

    Cheers
    Steven
    Cool, keep on keeping on.

  30. #229

    User Info Menu

    I've just started Leavitt's first book. And altough most people are more advanced in the book, I hope I can still get some help with the first exercises.

    I'm now in the Sea to Sea duet, and I know can play both guitars fairly well. One difficulty I'm feeling, is when I use a pick to strum the 3 note chords. I find it difficult so hit the right 3 strings.

    Looking at my right hand helps with this, but I think this is not a good method.

    Can someone please advise me on some exercises to improve on this?

  31. #230

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by salparadise View Post
    I've just started Leavitt's first book. And altough most people are more advanced in the book, I hope I can still get some help with the first exercises.

    I'm now in the Sea to Sea duet, and I know can play both guitars fairly well. One difficulty I'm feeling, is when I use a pick to strum the 3 note chords. I find it difficult so hit the right 3 strings.

    Looking at my right hand helps with this, but I think this is not a good method.

    Can someone please advise me on some exercises to improve on this?
    Welcome aboard.

    I also was challenged with playing those inside 3 string chords. And many of the guitar players that started this book had difficulty with this.

    I think this book and the supplemental material will all help get you comfortable with the technique. Really, I think the MM1 book by itself will be enough.

    The main thing is to make sure your picking technique is solid and you are able to use rest strokes when you need them, both for single notes and for chords. Then it's just a matter of practice and time.

    Come to think of it, I think I wrote an exercise... let me see if I can find it.

    Edit I found it, it's post #171 at this page of this thread:

    https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/getti...tml#post193259
    Last edited by fep; 03-26-2012 at 08:32 PM.

  32. #231

    User Info Menu

    Thanks Fep,

    Letting the pick rest on the string after the last one to be played, actually helps me to mentally keep track of the pick position.

    And I also have started practicing your exercise, which I'm sure you'll be good training for this.


    Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post
    Welcome aboard.

    I also was challenged with playing those inside 3 string chords. And many of the guitar players that started this book had difficulty with this.

    I think this book and the supplemental material will all help get you comfortable with the technique. Really, I think the MM1 book by itself will be enough.

    The main thing is to make sure your picking technique is solid and you are able to use rest strokes when you need them, both for single notes and for chords. Then it's just a matter of practice and time.

    Come to think of it, I think I wrote an exercise... let me see if I can find it.

    Edit I found it, it's post #171 at this page of this thread:

    https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/getti...tml#post193259

  33. #232

    User Info Menu

    Hey all, I started with the initial group in Jan. but soon fell behind (possibly due to our new puppy infringing on my practice time). But I'm trying to get back to a regular routine now. Just having a bit of a time with excercise 3 on p. 19, I can't seem to visually keep up with the eighth notes as I'm playing them (I've worked up to 80 bpm on the metronome), but don't want to rely too much on memory (as I'm becoming familiar with the excercise).

    Does anyone have any pointers on how to train my eye to register each note more clearly? Although I suspect the answer is really just more practice.

    I haven't read posts here in a while so I apologise if this has been brought up already and I've missed it.

    Thanks,
    Morgan

  34. #233

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by As confused as Nigel View Post
    Hey all, I started with the initial group in Jan. but soon fell behind (possibly due to our new puppy infringing on my practice time). But I'm trying to get back to a regular routine now. Just having a bit of a time with excercise 3 on p. 19, I can't seem to visually keep up with the eighth notes as I'm playing them (I've worked up to 80 bpm on the metronome), but don't want to rely too much on memory (as I'm becoming familiar with the excercise).

    Does anyone have any pointers on how to train my eye to register each note more clearly? Although I suspect the answer is really just more practice.

    I haven't read posts here in a while so I apologise if this has been brought up already and I've missed it.

    Thanks,
    Morgan
    Yes, more practice is the number one thing. You might try one of these, 1) see if you can read groups of notes and 2) see if you can read ahead.

    Sometimes for instance, I'll see a scale run of eighth notes and I just really see an ascending scale, two groups of 4 eighth notes and then ending on a quarter note, starting on C and ending on D. I see that more as one 'word' than as individual 'letters'.

  35. #234

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by salparadise View Post
    Letting the pick rest on the string after the last one to be played, actually helps me to mentally keep track of the pick position.
    I've had the exact same problem, getting the pick only to those strings I want it on, and still do. The biggest thing that helped was visualsing where the pick is. Sometimes, visualzing where I want it to go.

    Good luck!
    I am responsible for all my mistakes.

  36. #235

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by As confused as Nigel View Post
    Does anyone have any pointers on how to train my eye to register each note more clearly? Although I suspect the answer is really just more practice.
    Hi Morgan,

    +1 on everything fep said. If you find you have practised these exercises to the point you have memorized them, it may be good to find some other material - there's been lots mentioned here on the thread, or you may be able to find something. Just try simple tunes with no complications.

    As for reading the 8th notes fast you will find you use short-cuts, e.g., that's a step up (line to space, space to line), that's a skip (line to line, space to space, etc). But there is no short cut to the short cut, you just need to keep at it, slowly and accurately, and you will build up speed and fluency.
    I am responsible for all my mistakes.

  37. #236

    User Info Menu

    Fep and Ten, thanks! These are some good ideas I hadn't thought of. I'm sure they'll be helpful.
    Thanks again for your time!
    Morgan

  38. #237

    User Info Menu

    Hi everyone,

    I just decided to start the book.Have I came to the right place?What's the first thing I should do?

    Thanks

  39. #238

    User Info Menu

    Good stuff PS. Can you do the first exercise? You need to find these notes on the fretboard, read them from the staff, and give each one two counts as you go.
    I am responsible for all my mistakes.

  40. #239

    User Info Menu

    I saw some folks talking about being "late to the party", well I AM late to the party.
    Just ordered the course yesterday and should have it by Tues. Got it with the DVD.
    Looking at the first 8 pages, I think will be somewhat easy for me, except for the chords starting on page 6. I don't sight read chords - yet. But am excited that this course is making me read them.
    Currently I'm in a course, Gibson Learn & Master Guitar. It taught me to read notes in the first position so far, but it doesn't have the quantity of exercises to keep me going in playing individual notes in the first 8 lessons. That course covers a very wide range of material, so is not able to spend the amount of time needed on individual items. It's up to the user to supplement. This course is going to really kick up my sight reading tremendously. Between the two and some other song materials I have, it should be a fun trip.
    Thanks to FEP for starting this and for his and others contributions. They're going to make the road a little less bumpy. Hope to contribute myself later on.
    Play well,
    Bob

  41. #240

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by naccoachbob View Post
    I saw some folks talking about being "late to the party", well I AM late to the party.
    Just ordered the course yesterday and should have it by Tues. Got it with the DVD.
    Looking at the first 8 pages, I think will be somewhat easy for me, except for the chords starting on page 6. I don't sight read chords - yet. But am excited that this course is making me read them.
    Currently I'm in a course, Gibson Learn & Master Guitar. It taught me to read notes in the first position so far, but it doesn't have the quantity of exercises to keep me going in playing individual notes in the first 8 lessons. That course covers a very wide range of material, so is not able to spend the amount of time needed on individual items. It's up to the user to supplement. This course is going to really kick up my sight reading tremendously. Between the two and some other song materials I have, it should be a fun trip.
    Thanks to FEP for starting this and for his and others contributions. They're going to make the road a little less bumpy. Hope to contribute myself later on.
    Play well,
    Bob
    HI Bob,

    Welcome aboard Bob. I'll get on my soap box and encourage you to record and post recordings as you work through the book. You'll get much more out of the book if you do. (It's not required but is so helpful).

  42. #241

    User Info Menu

    Thanks, Frank, (can I call you Frank? ). I'll do that.
    And the one contribution I'll make right now for those who haven't been in guitar very long. USE THE METRONOME!!!
    Once you've learned to read music and play some, if you keep accurate time, you can learn ANY song.
    Using Amazon's sneak peek and getting started.
    I just found out that those chords start on the first couple of exercises, and already, with the 'nome, I'm having to slow it down a good bit.
    But I'm seeing a logic in his method that I don't understand yet. Betting it comes thru.
    Last edited by naccoachbob; 03-31-2012 at 07:00 PM.

  43. #242

    User Info Menu

    Hey coach Bob, glad you could make it. Im over at the L&M forum also. This will be a great complement to it.

    Im a bit behind the group also.

  44. #243
    Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock! View Post
    this is actually going to be difficult for me. i alternate pick everything. can't help it.
    this is actually going to be difficult for me.
    http://Dealgolfonline.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Golf Sales

  45. #244

    User Info Menu

    I had the MM1 book about 20 years ago when I lived in Australia ( I also had an original Real Book picked up from GIT in LA ) and have just ordered it again from Amazon.

    Looking forward to joining you guys.

    It will be interesting to see what I think of the book now that I have a bit more playing and theory under my belt.

  46. #245

    User Info Menu

    Timeless book! Good luck this time around. Hopefully you'll have some way of recording yourself?
    I am responsible for all my mistakes.

  47. #246

    User Info Menu

    Hello,
    well after lurking on the jazz guitar forum for a long time and wanting to learn how to play jazz guitar i've decided now is the time to start with MM and the help of the people on these great threads.
    I have only been an open chord, strumming kind of beginning guitarist, no knowledge of theory or ability to read, but i am excited to learn all i can.

    I bought MM yesterday, the compilation book with all three volumes but no cd or dvd, and i downloaded Audacity so i can record my efforts and upload them here once i figure out how to do it.

    Although i am far behind the group i will still benefit because it seems like every question i had while reading through the book up to the "Sea to Sea" duet has been asked and answered.
    Thanks for all the effort put in by members here, i am sure i will benefit immensely from it.
    Andre

  48. #247

    User Info Menu

    welcome on board Andre. If you are learning to read from scratch, you will find some resources to help you here on this thread. Just ask for any help you need.
    I am responsible for all my mistakes.

  49. #248

    User Info Menu

    Another late arrival here. Fortunately I can read music from my days (a million years ago) on saxophone though, of course, guitar is another matter. I'm a little stunned at just how far I need to go after starting into this. Baby steps.

    Really needed to do this FEP. A sincere thanks for making such a difference for so many people, me especially.

  50. #249

    User Info Menu

    HI, I also have recently opned a thread titled 'help me read music?' and I dont see why I cant do this in two threads I need all the help i can git

    I am trying to learn my first song--The Shadow of Your Smile. I love singing, and when I was doing this rendition earlier i thought 'how would I write this down for guitar?' and then i thought, i have to learn how to write music, so must try get me head around it

  51. #250

    User Info Menu

    If you get volume I by itself it comes with a DVD. Just thought I would mention that. I didn't realize it at the time. I bought the complete set in one book and am still curious about the DVD.