The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Which beginner's jazz guitar method book helped you the most?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Modern Method for Guitar - Volume 1 by William Leavitt

6 16.22%
  • Beginning Jazz Guitar by Jody Fisher

4 10.81%
  • Chords and Progressions for Jazz and Popular Guitar by Arnie Berle

0 0%
  • Hal Leonard Guitar Method: Jazz Guitar by Jack Schroedl

1 2.70%
  • Joe Pass Guitar Method (or Joe Pass Guitar Style) by Joe Pass

1 2.70%
  • Mel Bay Jazz Guitar Method by Ronny Lee

0 0%
  • Mel Bay Complete Jazz Guitar Method by Mike Christiansen

1 2.70%
  • Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar: Book 1 by Mickey Baker

15 40.54%
  • OTHER

9 24.32%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 51

User Info Menu

Yeah, Ted is awesome.

I believe that you are asking about how to develop vocabulary. You will find some good books that help with this process. Currently I am going through Mel Bays Complete Book of Jazz Guitar Lines and Phrases by Sid Jacobs. I have found some beautiful idiomatic lines and sequences that can be extended to any set of intervals, not just the ones being referred to in the book. I have also found Don Mocks book on melodic minor and his studies on harmonic minor and h/w to be quite helpful. Also Joe Diorio has some really great books as does Mick Goodrick and Vic juris.

Like Drumbler said, most jazz study books are not good beginners material. Also listen, transcribe and listen some more. The key to the material I have been studying is not using set licks or phrases over set chord sequences, it is about seeing what makes it tick in the first place and transcending those ideas into my real time playing. I spend hours picking this stuff apart, finger, re-finger, multiple finger everywhere. Learn how to apply these ideas at will. Easier said than done, but definitely doable. For me the more I hear this stuff over chords changes in tunes, the easier it becomes to identify and act without much thinking. To me that is what all the wood shedding is about. Vocabulary is the answer to playing jazz, not just sounding like it, IMHO.
    Last edited by brwnhornet59; 11-30-2011 at 01:08 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

hello, thanks for your replies.

rereading my post i can now see why you interpreted my post as an inquiry on developing jazz vocabulary.

however, i'm not a beginner anymore, so that really wasn't my intention.
    i was just curious what you guys thought about the specific book by ted that i mentioned.

>Most jazz books are not good for beginners to jazz with the exception of Mickey Baker's book.

True, although looking at the first lesson of the book i wouldn't be sure if it really worked for people who are completely new to jazz. some of the chords mentioned are quite advanced, a few are hard to even play properly.
    but i second your point, there really is very little practical material for beginners to jazz.

User Info Menu

The chords in Mickey Baker Jazz Guitar II are really far out. Maybe Johnny Smith could play them.

User Info Menu

Dr.Willie Hill, Jr. has a 3-volume series called "Approaching the Standards" that some might find useful. It's NOT aimed at guitar players but at all who would learn jazz. It comes with a CD that offers two versions of 8 tunes: 1) full band 'jazz demo' version includes the head, and then a one-chorus solo (-two if it's a blues) that is transcribed and another one that is not (-for you to transcribe yourself). 2) The 'play along' rhythm-section version is performed without the head and solos, allowing you to play it with a band and see how you sound. In addition, sample "licks and tricks" are transcribed for each piece. One advantage of this over traditional play-alongs is that you hear the head played well and can pick up nuances of phrasing and dynamics that the lead sheet doesn't capture.

Volume One contains "Billie's Bounce," "On The Trail," "Cantaloupe Island," "The Preacher," "Summertime," "Satin Doll," "C Jam Blues," and "I Got Rhythm."

The solos are all played by horns, not guitars, but many idiomatic lines are used, teaching solid basic jazz vocabulary.

I'm going to have to check out that Ted Greene book on soloing. I've never seen it. Sounds like what I need.

User Info Menu

>I'm going to have to check out that Ted Greene book on soloing. I've never seen it. Sounds like what I need.

This book is so jam-packed with information it's scary.
    He also had quite an unconventional way of organizing it... it's logical, but extremely thorough, and he makes personal handwritten notes here and there that hint at even more depth..

He was a maniac (i don't mean that in a negative way) and a musical genius.
    Ted wasn't just about jazz guitar, he was always about music in a broader sense dealing with all the hidden mysteries of music, and the interconnectedness of different styles.

User Info Menu

Had I found this poll while it was still open, I too would have had to say Mickey Baker. I have book 1 and 2 now, but had studied enough years ago to at least get the Major 7s and 6s and minor 7s and 6s and a few others into my hands and of course it's going to help a lot more now that I am really pursuing jazz guitar.
    ATB,

User Info Menu

Big props to Mickey Baker's book! Easy to understand, and has been a great guide to me as a beginner...

John

User Info Menu

Dang- I have not used hardly any of those books! I just went for Bert Ligon's connecting chords and some jazz theory books. Hal Galper's Forward Motion is fantastic- I wish I'd found it sooner. I just learned a lot of why and listened to tons of classic albums, I suppose.

Nuff Said Guest
    Way back in the early 1980s, my first Jazz Guitar book was "Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar: Book 1". I loved the book at the time, lost it and bought another. There are much better books available today.

Nuff

User Info Menu

The most comprehensive and useful book for me was (and remains, after 55 years of playing) Guitar Lore, by Dennis Sandole, though it's really for more advanced players. I also liked the Johnny Smith books, and I think some of the DVD courses--Mimi Fox, Joe Pass, Pat Martino, and Jimmy Bruno's come to mind, but there are many other good ones.

User Info Menu

Arnie Berle books as well as books by Sal Salvador and Ike Issacs are worth looking into in addition to the ones already mentioned...

Another is Vincent Bredice..has a few great books...IMO...

time on the instrument..pierre

User Info Menu

Useful thread!! Thanks!!

I have started with Mike Christiansen one and it is opening myself to jazz. I am learning a lot from it.

The next one I will definitely use is the Leavitt one. Since I play guitar for 15 years but don't know how to really read music (very slowly, and no practice) and will let me read the other books.

I will try to continue with the Mickey Baker's one you recommend so much.

Thanks for this thread!

User Info Menu

I like very much : Introduction to Jazz Guitar Soloing by Joe Elliott. Centered on arpeggios, it is very well made.

User Info Menu

If I were suggesting a great chord book on jazz guitar, it would be Arnie Berle's book: Modern Chords and Progressions for Guitar, published by Amsco.
    What I really like about the book is that the lessons are presented using good voice leading through the use of inversions, going from one chord to the next.. Berle subtly wakes up your ears as you play through various chord progressions ;[ I7,VI7,II7,V7, Cycle of Fifths, etc.] in all keys.However, the only problem with the book is that the chords are played on strings six, four ,three and two. It would have been better had Berle presented the material on strings five three two and one as well as six four three and two. Arnie Berle does not stress reading and rightfully so, because the book is primarily geared to listening to the changes as you go through the material. Hence, you are conscious of what you hear as you go through the chord changes.
    It is unfortunate that the book is out of print. However, if you are lucky enough to see it for sale , buy it . I guarantee, you'll love it !! If you study this book very carefully, it will take months, if not years to thoroughly digest and apply.

User Info Menu

Just realized that this thread is two years old .....

No wonder the poll is closed - although it is one that could stay open for ever.

I have Schroedl's book and it's decent as an introduction to jazz and as a reference for scales, some chord shapes etc.

I bought the Mickey Baker books years ago but they were of no use to me as I couldn't read standard to save my life. LOL!

Started working on Leavitt's book(s) about a year ago to learn to read and get a better grip on (proper) playing technique.

Recently discovered Garrison Fewell's "A Melodic Approach" and that's the one that really opened a door for me.

Highly recommended!

User Info Menu

I have 3 or 4 of these books lined up and ready to go. I really liked the look and the presentation of the Mickey Baker books. Also, the George Van Eps Harmonic Mechanisms book 1, although daunting due to its size, has already been very helpful on some concepts that I either had problems with or had not fully pursued up til now. I am holding off on voting for a while. If this thread is still on the forums front page next year this time I may have an educated opinion on it. But, I am at least encouraged that I have the books that everyone seems to agree are the core of larning Jazz.

User Info Menu

I have the Mickey Baker book and when I went through it, found that although the chord progressions
    that he uses are very good, he doesn't mention anything regarding voice leading.
    However, for a player who doesn't care too much about harmony and theory, the book is good.
    The chords and chord changes are up to date.
    Joe

User Info Menu

"talk jazz guitar" by Roni Ben-Hur, examples in standard notation and tabs, very very good book....

User Info Menu

It's been 4 1/2 years... any exceptional method books for the jazz pianist getting into jazz guitar arpeggios and chord tone connecting? Like a Bert Ligon for guitar book that's not too hard.
    Last edited by rintincop; 09-02-2018 at 12:36 AM.

Cory Christiansen's books from Aebersold have gotten a lot of mentions over the years and are absent from this I think. Don't have them myself...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Cory Christiansen's books from Aebersold have gotten a lot of mentions over the years and are absent from this I think. Don't have them myself...
    Corey re-factored Jamey's Volume 1 for guitar Not only is it a great starting point, it's one I keep coming back to over the years as I progress. Title is: Volume 1 - Jazz Guitar by Jamey Aerbersold, Adapted by Corey Christiansen.

Another I relied on was Easy Jazz Guitar - Voicings and Comping by Mike DiLiddo (published by Jamey Aerbersold). This book provides multiple voicings (from simple chords with roots on the 6th and 5th string) to upper stucture chords including quartal harmonies for all the tunes in Volume 54: Maiden Voyage. Consider this one a roadmap to surviving Jamey's Summer Jazz Workshop.

Highly recommend the books and the Workshops.

User Info Menu

I bought Mickey Baker's book in 1972/3 as I was going to University and so could obviously become a great jazz guitarist at the same time...(ha!).

Although I learned some really useful voicings which I use today, even using them to make some good money once, I found the absence of any application to the jazz canon (which I didn't know much of, another problem) a problem to keep motivated e.g. the Am7/6 stuff wasn't used to introduce iiVs (from memory). So, I'd say it is of limited use.

The book I like is The Jazz Sound by Dan Haerle.

User Info Menu

Mickey Baker's method was my first, very effective, though untheoretical. immediate success to play with others without being an advanced guitarist. I have since had dozens of other methods, those of my teacher Pierre Cullaz having made me the most progress regarding chords. Joe Pass, no. Howard Roberts, yes. So is Barney Kessel... and then others, Van Eps, Ted Greene, Jimmy Wyble, but in a very particular style, the solo

User Info Menu

Out of those listed I'd say Baker #1 is the best for someone new.

"Drop 2 Concept For Guitar" by Chapman is a very useful book also but still not as good as Baker #1.

I'm surprised no one recommended the Conti books.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patlotch
    Mickey Baker's method was my first, very effective, though untheoretical. immediate success to play with others without being an advanced guitarist. I have since had dozens of other methods, those of my teacher Pierre Cullaz having made me the most progress regarding chords. Joe Pass, no. Howard Roberts, yes. So is Barney Kessel... and then others, Van Eps, Ted Greene, Jimmy Wyble, but in a very particular style, the solo
    Pretty much my experience with this book but it did get me started. By the end of section 1 (chords) I got what he was trying to get across, but it's cryptic. Section 2 (soloing) went downhill - he doesn't explain what he's trying to achieve so you get frustrated or in my case annoyed. Took me several years to fully get it - Hal Leonard guitar method is much more slick