The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

I've seen lots and lots of arpeggios, and lots of "the" arpeggio. What are the rules for constructing "the" arpeggio?

Starts on the root? Not according to what I've seen. What, then?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think this is like "the wife".

User Info Menu

I don't know what the arpeggio is. But Carlton did talk about what he called the "super arpeggio." It is just alternating M3s and m3s. It sounds great when he plays it - it never really worked for me.

Peace,
    Kevin

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Stern
    Starts on the root? Not according to what I've seen.
    You've seen it? Can we get a clue?

User Info Menu

Maybe it's like a Loch Ness monster kind of thing. He has a friend who claims to have seen it, but he was drunk at the time.

Peace,
    Kevin

User Info Menu

1 3 5 7 9 11 13

apply this to all the scales and modes for just about any 7 note scale. I'll use mixoldian as an example

C E G Bb D F A

triads in order

CEG
    EGBb
    G Bb D
    Bb DF
    DFA
    FAC
    ACE

All can be used against C7

next 7ths
    C7
    Emi7b5
    Gmi7
    Bbma7
    Dmi7
    Fma7
    Ami7

All can be used against a C7

The closest you are to C the more in you sound. (C Edim Ami, C7 Emi7b5 Ami7) and the further away you go the out you get (Gmi, Bb Dmi F, Gmi7, Bbma7 etc

Bbma7 Contains the 7 9 11 13 so playing a Bbma7 arppeggio instantly gives you the upper partials (Plus some other modes to use based of of Bb ma)

Put each triad and 7th over a C pedal (or even the Tritone from C7) and see what chords you get. The triad doesn't work as well in the mixolydian as perhaps the lydian dominant does but you should try them all. Some will work better than others

User Info Menu

42?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbraun002
    42?
    No, that's Life, the Universe and Everything. What was the question, though?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ksjazzguitar
    I don't know what the arpeggio is. But Carlton did talk about what he called the "super arpeggio." It is just alternating M3s and m3s. It sounds great when he plays it - it never really worked for me.

Peace,
    Kevin
    If you start on the 2nd of a key this alternating m3rds and 3rds is diatonic(ex.)key of C start on D (DFACEGBD)
    key of G start on A (ACEGBDF#A)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voelker
    If you start on the 2nd of a key this alternating m3rds and 3rds is diatonic(ex.)key of C start on D (DFACEGBD)
    key of G start on A (ACEGBDF#A)
    Yes, but his point is that it keeps going, up into non-diatonicism.

Peace,
    Kevin

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ksjazzguitar
    Yes, but his point is that it keeps going, up into non-diatonicism.

Peace,
    Kevin

Regarding Larry Carlton's Super arpeggio, the diagram I saw (on a different board) showed it off of a Dmi.

You got Dm F Am C Em G Bmb5 and the started over with D#mi.

I don't know if that's what he had in mind. The only other reference I found was a Guitar Player article that only showed diatonic examples.

If you think about it though, playing the full 13th shows you the basics about that scale or mode. What the triads are, the 7ths, 9th, etc are, the type of extentions (b9, 9 # 9 etc.) it's just another learning / ear training tool

User Info Menu

I thought the Larry Carleton arpeggio modulated keys because it is strictly alternating minor/major thirds:

Starting with Dmi:

DFAC EGBD F#AC#E AbCbEbGb BbDbFAb CEbGBb DFAC,,,

When I break it into 4 notes groups it's easier for me to visualize. It also makes more sense to me to play it in reverse -- more circle-of-fifths-ie.

User Info Menu

Could be BDLH. Only references I saw were as I mentioned. Kind of a difficult way to play "out" though. Look at the patterns. Building a triad off of the 6th note and you get B minor against a D minor 7 whereas if you kept it more diatonic you would get Bmib5 or Bmi7b5 (Dmi6)

I mean checkout this chord[CHORD]

||---|---|---|---|---|---|-b-|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|---|---|-f#|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|---|---|-d-|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|---|---|-a-|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-f-|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-d-|---|

[/CHORD]

Definetely an aquired taste

User Info Menu

Yes, the Carlton arpeggio starts out inside and then goes increasingly outside the farther up you go. I remember him discussing on a video I had of his.

Like I said, he makes it sounds great, but I haven't been able to.

Peace,
    Kevin

User Info Menu

Arpeggio has to mean something other than the user's intent of the moment in order to be a useful term. Otherwise, the entire Beethoven 9th symphony is an arpeggio because some schlemiel likes to describe it that way.
    According to Wikipedia an arpeggio is all the notes of a chord, and nothing but. Throw in a non-chord note and it's not an arpeggio.

User Info Menu

According to Wikipedia an arpeggio is all the notes of a chord, and nothing but. Throw in a non-chord note and it's not an arpeggio.
    It may still be the arpeggio of another chord.

User Info Menu

Arpeggio has to mean something other than the user's intent of the moment in order to be a useful term. Otherwise, the entire Beethoven 9th symphony is an arpeggio because some schlemiel likes to describe it that way.
    What if the chord was C13? a 13th contains all the upper partials as well as the original 7th chord. So , I don't really agree with the Wiki definition.

I've heard of 2 references to THE arpeggio. One is the master arpeggio that I gave you above and the other is the Larry Carlton Super Arpeggio which is similar.

aside from that.....

User Info Menu

It's the arpeggio for the "lost chord".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    What if the chord was C13? a 13th contains all the upper partials as well as the original 7th chord. So , I don't really agree with the Wiki definition.
    It would seem that no matter what the chord, if the sequence contains all the notes of the chord, and no other notes, then it's the arpeggio of that chord.

Don't know what you mean by "upper partials". I've only heard about partials in the context of overtones. A single note has overtones.

Why don't you agree with the definition?

User Info Menu

The upper partials are the notes above the 7th. 9,11 and 13th. In theory each of these degrees is like a stepping stone up to the 13. A 13th contains all the notes in the 7th chord (1357) plus the 9 ,11 and 13th.

This gives you all 7 notes of the scale arranged in order of 3rds.

C E G B D F A. 1 3 5 7 9 11 13.

What this also gives you is the road map to all kinds of things like chord substitutions (Emi7 for Cma7 ex) getting more OUT the further you go away from the root. It also gives you ideas for what triads to use over the root and to see how it would affect the root chord (G/C = Cma9)

It's easier to see the value of this when you move to the modes as the 11th in the major scale is not widely used. However the #11 in the Lydian mode.

Applying this to the Lydian mode would show you how you could use a Bmi7 against a Cma7 and hit all of the outside notes without too much about it. Knowing this may lead you to that B minor pentatonic works great over Cma7

As far as the definition , its the "nothing but part". It's kind of silly. The definition should be more like "it's the notes of a chord played individually in some type of order".

I say some type of order since there are several ways you could play an arpeggio. CEGB BGEC CGEB BEGC etc. etc.

User Info Menu

The upper partials are the notes above the 7th. 9,11 and 13th. ...
    I'm also not familiar with that use of the word "partial." What you are describing I'm used to hearing called "extensions."

To me, a partial is any of the component sine waves that make up a complex wave form. The partials whose frequencies are integer multiples of the fundamental are called "harmonics" or "overtones." A quick check of the online Grove's Dictionary of Music, Oxford Dictionary of Music, and Oxford Companion to Music agrees with this.

I'm not saying that no one calls extension "partials" - but they are in the minority and are not consistent with the common usage of the term.

Perhaps some confusion arises since musicians have long tried to show that extensions can be derived from the harmonic series - like the so called "overtone scale."

Peace,
    Kevin

User Info Menu

upper partials. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and higher tones in harmonic series which are at fixed intervals above fundamental.

The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Music | 1996 document.write("| MICHAEL KENNEDY and JOYCE BOURNE"); | MICHAEL KENNEDY and JOYCE BOURNE

I've heard that term years ago as well. Can't remember where. Maybe it's English.

User Info Menu

Upper partials? Do we need 'em?

User Info Menu

As far as the definition , its the "nothing but part". It's kind of silly. The definition should be more like "it's the notes of a chord played individually in some type of order".
    Actually it is, I just left that part out. An arpeggio is all the notes of one chord played individually in any order.

In fact that's what prompted the question. Don't remember where or when . . . but I heard someone say "At this point it's just 'the' arpeggio" and I wondered what he meant, exactly.

User Info Menu

If extensions are partials, what is the whole?