The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

It is a random nice electronic track with teeth and a nice note here and there. Someone had a nice idea and went heavy on it.
    It is a standard thing on a standard genre.

Thing is, "why is jazz unpopular" "why I still suck in jazz" "..."

Jazz needs gunpowder. Where is it?

Jazz deserves gunpowder. Where is it?

Go heavy on what you got!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think that's pretty generic electronic music, really.

If you want gunpowder, here's a cannon.

And on the topic of electronic music, check this out.

[QUOTE=mr. beaumont;1269654]I think that's pretty generic electronic music, really.

It is sweet. Makes you think bout nothing. Best type.

Yours is intense. With intense vibe. All vibe.... damn. so viby music.

User Info Menu

I dig electronic music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazznylon
    I dig electronic music

ahhhh...Zappa lives..!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    I'm sorry but this beats jazz.

User Info Menu

Like syrup of ipecac for my ears and eyes. I only listen to electronic music after the gig while I"m waiting for the check.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    I know

User Info Menu

Sorry? Don't be sorry ... worried maybe .....

User Info Menu

Hauntology, from Ghost Box

User Info Menu

If re-hashing angry, dark, Roger Waters tunes from the late 70's with a robot video and Fentanyl inspired repetition trips your trigger, then... yeah? This... er, song, was probably completed in one afternoon.

I saw Pink Floyd in their heyday. They could play. You know, real instruments. On a stage.

This has nothing to do with jazz, BTW. If you like edge, we already had fusion. The more rock influenced fusion had its time. They call it "the 70s". And we already had music videos and MTV. They call it "the 80s".

User Info Menu

From my point of view, in the age of AI and computer-assisted music, it is urgent to return to the original musical creation: the expression of humanity through sound (the only universal language)!
    Of course I understand the need of my contemporaries to adhere to the currents of expression which are predominant in the current media, but lungs blowing in a saxophone or fingers vibrating the strings of a guitar or a double bass can never be replaced by a sequence of bytes...
    (sorry if I don't express myself correctly in English, I read it more easily than I write it!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Laro
    From my point of view, in the age of AI and computer-assisted music, it is urgent to return to the original musical creation: the expression of humanity through sound (the only universal language)!
    Of course I understand the need of my contemporaries to adhere to the currents of expression which are predominant in the current media, but lungs blowing in a saxophone or fingers vibrating the strings of a guitar or a double bass can never be replaced by a sequence of bytes...
    (sorry if I don't express myself correctly in English, I read it more easily than I write it!)
    Right on, Pilgrim!

Well, if it ain't loaded and cocked, it don't shoot!

User Info Menu

Strokes, folks, etc.

Myself, I enjoy playing around with the current New Yorker interactive cover, but I try not to kid myself about what I'm doing.

As for the other stuff, let them as enjoy doing it, do it. I prefer some words I can dance to and a melody that rhymes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Laro
    Even Robert Moog said this/ He regretted ever inventing the Moog synth when he heard the synth replacing real instruments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Even Robert Moog said this/ He regretted ever inventing the Moog synth when he heard the synth replacing real instruments
    Not to worry, we all got over it.

Even when it was in vogue it sounded a bit kitschy, gimmicky, and cold. (Or maybe a lot).

best music ever

User Info Menu

Music is either Good or Bad depending on your mood, level of understanding or various other things. Genre of music doesn’t really matter.
    But using the term Jazz is pretty silly when it encompasses over 100 years of artists and styles.

One of the main components of Jazz is harmonic improvisation. And that in itself is what appeals to me. In other words freedom to create each and every time. And while other genres of music use some of this. It takes sophistication of knowing music to do this well!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Music is either Good or Bad depending on your mood, level of understanding or various other things.
    I was a bit tipsy yesterday when listening/watching this Die Antwoord thing. Watched it 5 times.. it was the best find of this year for me.. for the moment

But of course, this thread is kinda like trolling. But I hope it is on the positive side

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    It is a random nice electronic track with teeth and a nice note here and there. Someone had a nice idea and went heavy on it.
    It is a standard thing on a standard genre.

Thing is, "why is jazz unpopular" "why I still suck in jazz" "..."

Jazz needs gunpowder. Where is it?

Jazz deserves gunpowder. Where is it?

Go heavy on what you got!
    I used to dabble in this sort of thing when sequencers were fairly new, driving synth patches from a drum machine by midi etc. I soon realised the limitations. It can be ok if it serves the music e.g. Alabama 3 'Woke Up This Morning' but otherwise it's fairly unsatisfying. When it means hi-jacking an existing song then it's questionable.

There are songs in every genre that can be lended out for other genres. It's always a slippery slope but sometimes something cool can happen.
    But it's not what this thread is about.

The main point is: Pure jazz is not for chill, upbeat, happy, feelgood, driving and easy (all together the same time) . There is always the "LISTEN TO ME" aspect in jazz. Even the most mellow kind. Or like "look what I'm doing now!".

This illustrates the point:

I like the second song more, but the first one type is so missing in jazz

This is how I feel, it is an opinion. A matter of taste.

User Info Menu

One of the biggest changes in all music is how people watch more than listen. The newer technology has made video and selling yourself the main priorities.
    There is a host of things that go along with this change, including lack of patience and too much bad or mediocre content.

I always say if it was any other profession than music.I’d love to see people try and insert themselves with such little talent or abilities.
    Musicians are basically lowest on the totem pole, entertainment is what sells!

User Info Menu

Before the internet, digital music, TV and movies, even before radio, there was Program Music; a class of purely instrumental compositions, characterized by extramusical connotation intended to represent moods or phases of emotion, or to depict actual scenes of events, sometimes called "descriptive music". Was used almost exclusively in the early cartoon and movie soundtracks as sound effects music.