The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans
    I don't overthink the stoics. Instead I simply take what I need and leave the rest.

Tony
    Marcus Aurelius had some interesting insight but seemed to deny the emotions of humanity. Ignore music, sex is just rubbing together. Self control is one thing but, Marcus, you're missing out.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Marcus Aurelius had some interesting insight but seemed to deny the emotions of humanity. Ignore music, sex is just rubbing together. Self control is one thing but, Marcus, you're missing out.
    It is up to the individual reading or otherwise getting advice or philosophy from another person to decide what fits and what doesn't. We don't have to live like Marcus Aurelius to benefit from SOME of his ideas. In other words, to take what you need and leave the rest.

I wouldn't want to live as he did but maybe his lifestyle worked for him.

Tony

User Info Menu

That was a few years ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    That was a few years ago.
    But I remember it like it was yesterday!

Tony

User Info Menu

I am in my sixth decade now. After playing solid for over 2/3rds of that time I am thoroughly convinced that I didn't pick to like and play jazz. It picked me. I am also thoroughly convinced that it didn't pick a great percentage of others. Of course I can say that they don't know what they are missing, but I honestly don't think that is the case. They just aren't wired to appreciate it the same way I am not wired to like malted milk balls. I know what they taste like. I know that I don't like them and I know that others do. Unavoidable.

User Info Menu

malted milk balls

Yuck

User Info Menu

I ate a few of those back in elementary school, in the mid to late 50s. Not my favorite, but better than nothing, if they were available for free. Milk Duds. What a name.

User Info Menu

I didn't read you mentioning an amp. Maybe you weren't playing LOUD ENOUGH.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    malted milk balls

Yuck
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I ate a few of those back in elementary school, in the mid to late 50s. Not my favorite, but better than nothing, if they were available for free. Milk Duds. What a name.
    Milk Duds I could take. But I don't think they are malted though.

Btw, one other observation. I like and play jazz because musical curiosity is satisfying to me. Other people can be musically satisfied without being musically curious.

User Info Menu

Thinking about it, I think you're right, lammie. Milk Duds had a caramel interior I think. The malted balls had a different brand name, which I can't recall now. It's been more than 60 years since I even thought about either of them. I know I used to have a memory, but I seem to have left it somewhere.

User Info Menu

In Britain and elsewhere in the Commonwealth, they are called Maltesers. They are manufactured by Mars. They feature in a comic episode in Graham Greene's The Human Factor.
    Last edited by Litterick; 06-03-2023 at 03:54 PM.

User Info Menu

You guys are thinking about "Whoppers" malted milk balls. You can get a big container and it looks like a milk carton. Eat one of those in a single sitting and see how you feel, lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    You guys are thinking about "Whoppers" malted milk balls. You can get a big container and it looks like a milk carton. Eat one of those in a single sitting and see how you feel, lol.
    That is precisely why I don't like them. Happened once as a young kid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes

I think it's good to ask oneself (and to answer honestly), "Why am I doing this?" If the answer is, "I want to get better at this and that's all I need to keep me going," great. Or "I want to create music. If others enjoy it, fine, but it's really not for them, it's for me," then being ignored is no concern (and quite possibly a great benefit).
    Well said. I think that for me, it's that I want to get better at it, and to create music and perhaps equally importantly, to play this sort of music with people who also want to play this sort of music with me. It's a bonus if it involves performing to a public who have an idea what they're listening to.

User Info Menu

The “to heck with the audience if they don’t get what I’m playing” attitude has always bothered me. If you’re being paid to provide musical entertainment in a venue that caters to a given audience, and you understand that; it seems reasonable to be prepared to entertain that audience.

l’m taking cover now.

AKA

User Info Menu

This thread is full of such honesty. I love it.

I kind of agree with all of the comments, even when they contradict one another.

Yes, I’ve experienced this myself. Yes, singing seems to be more engaging than just playing. Yes, I dislike the feeling that nobody seems interested. Yes, I admire Stoic distancing, and yes I don’t really buy it — largely because Stoicism doesn’t leave room for joy. Marcus Aurelius in his notes seems like such a buzzkill kind of guy.

I agree with MarkRhodes. It’s a cool mindfulness idea to ask oneself, “What is my motivation for opening my mouth right now to speak? Is it to enhance the topic? Or is it to prove I’m right and feed my ego?” The answer is 90% where you’d think it would be. Self-awareness is healthy. “Why am I playing guitar right now with these folks in the house?” It’s good to check yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Nobody cares less than family. Try it in front of strangers, I bet they dig it.
    Mark 6:4: Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    The “to heck with the audience if they don’t get what I’m playing” attitude has always bothered me. If you’re being paid to provide musical entertainment in a venue that caters to a given audience, and you understand that; it seems reasonable to be prepared to entertain that audience.

l’m taking cover now.

AKA
    It depends on what you're being paid to provide. The venue should know their audience, and should also be aware of what you're offering to provide. If you're hired to play jazz then the audience should be prepared to hear jazz. Now, that begs the question of what is jazz, but that's off topic.

I think that “to heck with the audience if they don’t get what I’m playing” statement is probably mostly, if not only common with Jazz musicians. I think a lot of people when it comes to Jazz, especially with non-musicians it can be a challenge to get them to understand what you're doing. I don't think the audience has to necasarily has to understand what you're doing on a conceptual level, I don't even believe you have to be 'good' to get the audience to dig your music. In my opinion, it's more important that they see that you are having fun, and the band is grooving and you are all interacting and creating some excitement at all times. It's a visual thing. If people are coming to your gigs, or even paying, they are also paying to see you. If they see that the band is having fun, smiling, we are all moving to the beat, tapping our feet etc, then the audience can understand that we are feeling the music we are playing, and hopefully the band is able to pass that feeling onto the audience. Easier said than done and of course your mileage may vary. Some people will just always see Jazz as cocktail/dinner/elevator music.

I don't directly associate solo chord melody with jazz per say. However it comes close and in most ways. The only thing it is not is a swinging group with a Hammond B3. That probably would help and even someone like me. Playing Pop tunes from the past 50 years is a good way to at least keep some interest. Playing any of them will get more attention that even a great take on ATTYA.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I don't directly associate solo chord melody with jazz per say. However it comes close and in most ways. The only thing it is not is a swinging group with a Hammond B3. That probably would help and even someone like me. Playing Pop tunes from the past 50 years is a good way to at least keep some interest. Playing any of them will get more attention that even a great take on ATTYA.
    If you played ATTYA without the Dizzy Gillespie intro I might not even be able to name the tune before you finished.