The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

What apps are really really good?
    Does anyone have experience with jazz apps?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like DrumGenius. Actual recorded drum tracks that loop forever and at your tempo preference.

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, I use iRealPro a lot, but not as much as I use Spotify. So, time on the instrument and listening.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    I like DrumGenius. Actual recorded drum tracks that loop forever and at your tempo preference.
    This is very good. DrumGenius is very popular among musicians.

User Info Menu

I've been using Jammates for a few days now - an excellent app with backing tracks.
    These backing tracks sound very natural and have excellent time...metronomic time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I've been using Jammates for a few days now - an excellent app with backing tracks.
    These backing tracks sound very natural and have excellent time...metronomic time.
    Oh, very interesting...need to see if it is available for Android...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Oh, very interesting...need to see if it is available for Android...
    Google play-you can find it.

User Info Menu

Everybody I know has IRealPro. It's useful in several ways. Changes to just about every tune, any key. Provides a backing track in a large number of rhythmic styles (not great feel, but you can hear the changes). Has a mixer so you can hear selected instruments only, say, bass and drums. Iirc, exports to midi, which can then be loaded into notation software or DAW.

I have DrumGenius. So far, I haven't found it supremely useful, but I may need to spend more time with it.

I have a guitar tuner app, don't recall which one. It's a backup in case my electronic tuner fails.

I recently installed a scan app. I couldn't find the one that was recommeded, Turboscan, so I went with Genius Scan. I thought the interface was mysterious, but I figured it out and it does work. It allows you to quickly take good quality pictures of multiple pages (saved together in one file). For work where you don't get to take home the charts, this is very useful.

I don't have it on my phone, but slow-downer software is also very useful. Last I checked Transcribe! and Amazing Slow Downer were commonly used. Reaper will also do it.

I didn't realize Transcribe! was out in a mobile phone app: that's always been my favorite transcription aid, although haven't used it in a few years. At least the desktop version way back when was not too expensive, especially for a program with so many useful features.

Guess I'll be visiting Google Play (if it's out for Android, which I bet it is).

User Info Menu

Polynome pro is a very useful and deep metronome.

IPracticePro is … well I do not have a name for what it does… you can set it up to throw out random chord progressions or drones. I have found many uses for it. I do wish it was a little deeper.

User Info Menu

The most versatile metronome app I have found is Time Guru. It can do any imaginable time signature with all kinds of sounds. But the best feature is that it can randomly skip beat. The percentage of skips can be adjusted with a handy slider.
    My only gripe is that it is super unintuitive and requires you to RTFM.

User Info Menu

I'd like to add one more to the list that I personally developed out of my own need as a pianist.

It's designed specifically to help jazz musicians and enthusiasts effortlessly locate jazz standards across various books. With Tune Finder, you can quickly find the book and page number for the tune you're seeking, thanks to its extensive database.

I created Tune Finder to solve a common problem many of us face, making our practice sessions more efficient and letting us focus more on what we love - playing jazz. It's been a labor of love, and I hope it can be a valuable addition to your jazz practice and exploration.

Would be thrilled if you gave it a try and shared any feedback!

Tune Finder

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ekeller
    I'd like to add one more to the list that I personally developed out of my own need as a pianist.

It's designed specifically to help jazz musicians and enthusiasts effortlessly locate jazz standards across various books. With Tune Finder, you can quickly find the book and page number for the tune you're seeking, thanks to its extensive database.

I created Tune Finder to solve a common problem many of us face, making our practice sessions more efficient and letting us focus more on what we love - playing jazz. It's been a labor of love, and I hope it can be a valuable addition to your jazz practice and exploration.

Would be thrilled if you gave it a try and shared any feedback!

Tune Finder
    This is a great idea. I often thought about this concept. Taking it a step further….integration of references to tunes in instructional materials as well. i.e. Summertime Randy Vincent’s Drop 2 book page 10….making that up but you get the idea.

User Info Menu

It’s a great idea and I’d love to try it, ekeller. But it does not appear when searching the App Store for tune finder or tunefinder. I also can’t find it in GitHub. Please let us know how to get it so we can give you feedback.

User Info Menu

Phil Wilkson makes my favorite tracks. Great feel and awareness of the melody in the comping. Hard to beat.

Also, if you haven't heard, Phil had a bad accident and lost some fingers in his left hand. If you can, visit his site and purchase some tracks to support him! Play Jazz Tracks

User Info Menu

I wonder if any jazz musicians are going to lose business if TikTok is banned in the USA.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    It’s a great idea and I’d love to try it, ekeller. But it does not appear when searching the App Store for tune finder or tunefinder. I also can’t find it in GitHub. Please let us know how to get it so we can give you feedback.
    Yeah, I can't find it at the App Store searching for Tune Finder. Possibly because I'm searching from a laptop? You know how Big Brother's always looking out for us.

But if I click the link in his post and hit 'Get on App Store' it show up. There it's listed as 'Developed for iPad. Not verified for Mac OS'. It does say: 'Mac compatibility: OS11 or later and Mac with M1 chip or later'. That's me and this mac.

I downloaded to laptop. It opens. It says "Please go to the settings and download some book indexes." Took me a while to find that. It's not preferences or something in the menu bar. It's a little circle-like icon to the right of the search bar. I hit that and a list of files opens for different books. Looks promising!

I hit download Real Book Volume 1. Now there's 2 buttons. One says 'Remove'. The other says 'File'. I hit file. It opens a finder navigation window. It looks like Tune Finder needs me to tell it where the index file is. But... I can't find it anywhere. Maybe it's still downloading, but it's got to be a pretty tiny file. Should be just a tiny CSV or something and download more or less instantly.

Then I noticed 'Enable Multi-Book Search'. Hit that and it's an in-app purchase of $3.99. Which is cheap. But... I'm not really sure I have much use for this. I just have the one book and alphabetical works for me. I guess I was just curious about this app.

Maybe the $4 bucks is worth it to you though. I'm guessing that's $4 US and not Canadian. Dirt cheap if Canadian!

User Info Menu

Update: Tune Finder did download a single index without telling me. It's instant. Searched for Stella and got the wrong page. Tried some other book indexes. Different page numbers but no match to my book.

I guess I have a weird Real Book. It's about 10 years old. Doesn't say anything about which volume. Just says SIXTH EDTION, so not sure which index file is right. Tried all the RB indexes but no Stella on p382 like my book!

Anyways, looks like it works great if you have the right Real Book. You need one that has a volume number on it apparantly.

User Info Menu

The OP asked for jazz apps and AFAICT all of the above are generic apps for musicians ... so here's my contribution

NPO Soul & Jazz in de App Store
    NPO Soul & Jazz - Apps op Google Play
    TSF-Jazz dans l’App Store
    TSFJazz - Apps on Google Play

User Info Menu

This paid app called Session band is similar to Jammates.
    I like it a lot, it's got a pretty natural and polished feel.
    It's not without weaknesses, though. It takes a while to get the hang of it.

For example in the menu you have to disable the random-generated lead voice (trp, sax) if you want to use it as a backing track and, unlike Ireal Pro or Jammates, the chords are displayed horizontally while they are being played.
    The functionalities are better than Jammates. You can change the style (medium swing, bossa, etc.), edit the chords, edit the tempo in BPM, mute an instrument, change key, isolate a part or entirely make your own new track.

There are 4 different apps for jazz (No 1 is my favourite) and a few others for blues, fusion and soul. But each has got a limited number of songs.
    So if you want to use all of them it will end up being pretty expensive.