The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I interested in guitar at shop in Farmingdale NY. D’angelico excel. Has some issues but any live close would consider checking it out for me. PM or reply to thread.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Two questions
    1) The Music Zoo?
    2) Illegal or Legal D'A?

It is at wellstrungguitars Davidson's. Appears legal although it is a rock players store so they are not in the know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    It is at wellstrungguitars Davidson's. Appears legal although it is a rock players store so they are not in the know.
    I never heard of them so I just looked at their website. They don't seem to be strangers to vintage archtops. They have several vintage Gibsons plus many more semis. I was more than a little surprised to see a BK for twice the price of that D'A, and they don't even have a price listed for their '55 175DN and GA30. A '56 350T is $12k, a '59 350TN is $25k, and a '60 Byrdland is $17k. Either they know something I don't or they're optimistic newbies.

Please let us know how this encounter works out.

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I never heard of them so I just looked at their website. They don't seem to be strangers to vintage archtops. They have several vintage Gibsons plus many more semis. I was more than a little surprised to see a BK for twice the price of that D'A, and they don't even have a price listed for their '55 175DN and GA30. A '56 350T is $12k, a '59 350TN is $25k, and a '60 Byrdland is $17k. Either they know something I don't or they're optimistic newbies.

Please let us know how this encounter works out.
    I just can unload and have them ship me the guitar without someone going in and giving it an inspection. I know my D'a s and this could be fine but you have to really know what is going on with the guitar. Also you probably take it with the thought a real collector will not touch it. Please someone jump in got to players on Long Island even if you don't know much about D'a s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    By "illegal", I was referring to Roger Borys' term for any D'A that was not made by John himself.
    I looked at their inventory, and it's not listed anywhere.
    I've heard of their original company that was in Bellmore, but not this newest one.
    Apparently, they've merged with a well known electronics repair co. (Davidson's), whose prices are just as insane as the guitar company.
    A Gibson BK for over 15K!!!

My accountant used to have offices around there, but he retired, so I don't go out there unless I've got a gig in the area.
    It's a strange location for a music store; there are a bunch of small factories on Rt.110, and now they've got two guitar stores in direct competition with each other, this one and The Music Zoo which used to be in Roslyn. I guess LI real estate is out of control.

There's also another boutique guitar store not too far away from there in Suffolk, plus Sam Ash, which has another guitar store right next to it.
    Unless this is Johnny Smith's Excel, I don't know what to say.
    How much are they asking for it?
    If I get any work out there I'd be glad to check it out for you, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I looked at their inventory, and it's not listed anywhere.
    It was listed yesterday, but it's not today. In comparison with their prices for other archtops, $10k was a steal - so I wouldn't be surprised if someone bought it today.

I'm pretty sure I could see the described repair in the pics. The headstock looked to me like it was snapped off in the classic place and reglued. The fracture line was still visible on the back of the neck just below the nut, so no attempt was apparently made to refin the area. If the repair was sound, and the rest of the guitar was decent, it was probably a good buy for a player.

User Info Menu

I tend to avoid guitars w headstock repairs, it's the one fix that bothers me even if done well, honorable mention bad jack cracks which are difficult and usually hard to conceal.
    A guitar would have to be a pretty good deal (which @ 10Kish it was) and sound great for me to be tempted.
    Without having checked it out/played it seemed like a good deal from afar. And judging from the sky high prices of their other inventory I'm surprised it wasn't 30K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I tend to avoid guitars w headstock repairs, it's the one fix that bothers me even if done well,
    The problem is the inability to determine whether it was done well. All you can do is keep playing it and wait to see if it comes apart.

User Info Menu

Headstock repair is how I've been able to afford a few great-sounding pieces over the years.

In contrast, the top crack parallel to the fingerboard leading down to the soundhole (on a flat-top) or pickup is a deal-breaker for me.
    The way to fix that properly involves so much work, getting in their, removing braces, straighten & glue, re-brace . . . . just no!

Here's an example. The sales operative said, "While you're considering this I thought you might want to see it under the blacklight." Thank you sir!

Anyone live near Farmindale long Island.-blacklight-crack-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Anyone live near Farmindale long Island.-top_crack_next_to_fingerboard-jpg
    Ouch!! I've never seen that one before. It must have taken quite a hit to do that.