The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 107 of 107

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIsGood
    I'm not sure what Pasquale would say, but he would probably say it Italian.

So that complicates the whole debate about word meanings.

Maybe he would say "I PLAYADABEBOP..... ILUVADABUDPOWELL.... I PLAYADABEBOPEVERY DAYUHMALIFE.... I LIKADA SPAGHETTI...."
    "I likeada spaghetti" ? Really? And no reaction from the forum members? In this modern world where you can't refer to racist tropes (not even for comedic effect) for fear of insulting various ethnic or indigenous groups, why is it still OK to lampoon Italians? Probably because of their collective robust sense of humor (they can take a joke better than most) - but it's still not OK, capish?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It’s far funnier to troll Italians by casually mentioning how much you like Hawaiian pizza

User Info Menu

One might be surprised at the kinds of pizza that contemporary (or at least as of ten years ago, when we last visited) Italians eat. Though I confess we didn't see any pineapple-ham combos.

But about bop/bebop--maybe playing "Salt Peanuts" at 200+ bpm has become a kind of historical-recreation exercise, but the technical/harmonic/rhythmic elements of that tune and its historical-stylistic cousins are still alive in jazz, even if not generally present in a chemically-pure state. But then, no style remains chemically pure, and some elements persist strongly enough to make applying an older label appropriate. It certainly makes sense to me to call the group I sit in with "boppish," even if their influences/heroes include Bill Evans and Herbie Hancock and Miles as well as Parker and Gillespie. (And where does one place Monk?)

Every artistic tradition I'm aware of includes centers and peripheries and practitioners* who occupy those metaphorical spaces--and those spaces themselves stretch and move, taking some practitioners with them. If there are no longer clubs where chemically-pure bebop rules, the elements of bebop are clearly available all over the jazz world. (For that matter, how many clubs remain--and how many were there to begin with?)

* And where there are audiences there will be practitioners--and vice versa.

User Info Menu

Italians are VERY clear when it comes to pineapple on pizza

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Italians are VERY clear when it comes to pineapple on pizza
    That was before the invention of the vegan Big Mac pizza. Pineapple is the least of their worries now.

User Info Menu

I think bebop has evolved. Mike stern. Julian lage. Still play it. But not like Diz or Trane. And honestly I’m glad they don’t. Because why would I listen to asinine versions of the great boppers when I can hear the originals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    That was before the invention of the vegan Big Mac pizza. Pineapple is the least of their worries now.
    sounds amazing