The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 107

User Info Menu

If nobody plays bop anymore, what's all the fuss with Barry Harris?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He's dead. But alive in the bebop era and a 'real' bebop musician. Plus he invented his own method which still interests some people. That's what most of the fuss is about rather than his recordings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    He's dead. But alive in the bebop era and a 'real' bebop musician.
    no I mean all the fuss with his instruction. People talk about him as if he was/is THE pied piper of jazz improv training.

User Info Menu

I've just said what it was. Or did I edit before you saw it?

User Info Menu

I've just said what it was. Or did I edit before you saw it?
    . You edited after I saw it.

User Info Menu

Right, sorry. I could explain the idea quite easily but it might be a lot simpler if you googled it yourself. Personally, I find it confusing to implement although there's a certain logic to it.

User Info Menu

Right, sorry. I could explain the idea quite easily but it might be a lot simpler if you googled it yourself. Personally, I find it confusing to implement although there's a certain logic to it.
    Sir Ragman, this video explained it in such a way that even I could hear it and understand it at least in a rudimentary way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I just call it mainstream jazz if it swings and if it don't swing I call it "the other stuff'.
    +1

User Info Menu

...and isn't it like that you don't play real be-bop, but you learn on real be-bop...?
    I guess that's the whole truth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Ok...so...today's pros...who says they play bebop?
    Right off the cuff, Sheryl Bailey.

But this is all a red herring. Lots of pro players will say “and now we play a bebop tune”. That doesn’t mean they only play bebop ever. Why would anyone want to limit themselves to something from the past exclusively?

User Info Menu

I think there are some great players these days who clearly play bebop. No it is not 1940s bebop because we're not in the 1940s.

My teacher for example, playing his original 'I'll remember Jimmy.'

User Info Menu

Isn't playing be-bop sometimes a limitation of possibilities?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    this video explained it in such a way that even I could hear it and understand it at least in a rudimentary way.
    Thank you. Let's hope the OP's life will never be the same again :-)

User Info Menu

The bebop language underpins most modern/contemporary jazz phraseology. So in a sense everyone plays bop. Except some die hard swing and trad players maybe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    no I mean all the fuss with his instruction. People talk about him as if he was/is THE pied piper of jazz improv training.
    well he kind of was. He taught and played with everyone. The more I learn the more ridiculous it gets haha. It’s nice being able to say I share a teacher with Joe Henderson, Kenny Burrell and Paul Chambers (not that that is any claim to fame; Barry had a LOT of students, quite a few on JGO - and I was never one of the inner circle haha)

and fifteen years ago there was like 10 people at his workshops in London. Now he’s a meme… even certain YouTubers who were dismissive of Barry a few years back on this very forum are suddenly making videos about him. Hmmm. I’ll assume they’ve seen the light haha.

As far as recordings go… he is also one of my favourite jazz players of all time.. that dark tone, that sly swing..

Last edited by Christian Miller; 04-28-2023 at 03:57 AM.

User Info Menu

does Django have anything to do with be-bop?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    The bebop language underpins most modern/contemporary jazz phraseology. So in a sense everyone plays bop. Except some die hard swing and trad players maybe.
    John Scofield uses bebop language phrases but I wouldn't say that he is a bebop guitarists. Almost all jazz musicians that came after the 50's have a variety of influences in their music in addition to bebop I would say.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 04-28-2023 at 08:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    does Django have anything to do with be-bop?
    I've always said he was one of the fathers. Playing proto bebop in the 30s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    He was a part of the golden age, and he happened to be one of the most influential and effective teachers. But by all means don't disregard everything else and only listen to BH.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    I've always said he was one of the fathers. Playing proto bebop in the 30s.
    Towards the end of his life he was moving more towards be-bop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    John Scofield uses bebop language phrases. But I wouldn't say that he is a bebop guitarists. Almost all jazz musicians that came after the 50's have a variety of influences in their music in addition to bebop I would say.
    Well I did say ‘in a sense’

But there’s a reason why most jazz players education takes in bop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Well I did say ‘in a sense’

But there’s a reason why most jazz players education takes in bop.
    That's true. But my understanding of the original post is, mr. beaumont is asking if there are musicians who play bebop in a more pure, preservationist way like in the gypsy jazz tradition. I think it's hard to say that even for the old school players like Bruce Forman.

User Info Menu

You need the right gear to play bebop.

Does anybody really play bebop these days?-4d17772d-15fd-4a08-a23d-2108b5a052d4-jpeg

User Info Menu

Listening to Charlie Parker should be compulsory for all wouldbe Jazzers. To my ears, it's the DNA of all small group Jazz that came after.

I'm still listening and learning from Charlie Parker and always will be.