The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

As the title says-Who was the guitarist on Lester Young's Stardust? (1952 version.)
    Sounds to me like it might be Barney Kessel.)

Thanks

Doug

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DougB
    As the title says-Who was the guitarist on Lester Young's Stardust? (1952 version.)

Thanks

Doug
    The version with the Oscar Peterson Trio is from when Barney Kessel was in the group, shortly before Herb Ellis replaced him, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Barney Kessel (in the Oscar Peterson Trio) backed him on the 1954 album called Lester Young with the Oscar Peterson Trio.

Who was the guitarist on Lester Young's Stardust?-220px-lesteroscar-jpg

[Damn - if I hadn't retrieved the album jacket image, I'd have beaten that rhythm man!)

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Barney Kessel (in the Oscar Peterson Trio) backed him on the 1954 album called Lester Young with the Oscar Peterson Trio.

Who was the guitarist on Lester Young's Stardust?-220px-lesteroscar-jpg

[Damn - if I hadn't retrieved the album jacket image, I'd have beaten that rhythm man!)
    Thank you sirs, I thought that I was right-Barney it is! :-)

User Info Menu

there's a guitar on that recording?

User Info Menu

This is NYC 1952 with BK on guitar. At least, that's what it says in the notes. I can't hear a guitar. Also, the same recording is posted on YT dated 1954. Possibly BK appeared on other tracks.

Attachment 101152

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DougB

Thanks

Doug
    We can't hear a guitar on Lester's Stardust. What are you listening to? Or is it a mistake?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    This is NYC 1952 with BK on guitar. At least, that's what it says in the notes. I can't hear a guitar. Also, the same recording is posted on YT dated 1954. Possibly BK appeared on other tracks
    I thought the same thing at first, since Peterson had such a strong left hand. But I think I hear quiet chordal comping that’s so well blended with what OP and Ray Brown are playing that it’s hard to separate the guitar.

It could be piano, too. I haven’t listened to these on my good system yet & will do so later today. I also want to get that ‘54 album. It seemed there were 3 studio albums by Prez with the OPT, the latest from ‘57. Gotta find ‘em now!
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 04-25-2023 at 09:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Love this record. Don't think I ever noticed Barney on this track, but he's definitely on other tracks, though almost always in a smaller, supportive role.

I haven't listened to this in a while. I think I will remedy that today.

User Info Menu

I thought the same thing at first, since Peterson had such a strong left hand. But I think I hear quiet chordal comping that’s so well blended with what OP and Ray Brown are playing that it’s hard to separate the guitar.

It could be piano, too. I haven’t listened to these on my good system yet & will do so later today. I also want to get that ‘54 album. It seemed there were 3 studio albums by Prez with the OPT, the latest from ‘57. Gotta find ‘em now!
    I'm pretty sure there's only 1 recording session but different release dates/labels, the first likely a couple 10" records.

I haven't listened on my tube stereo but I can't even hear a faint guitar on my tablet w Bluetooth speaker, not even at the very end. But my ears are almost hamburger at this point thanks to all the B-3 players w their amps on top of their Leslie pointed at my head.

User Info Menu

If you're right, sounds to me he needn't have been there at all. In which case the thread's a bit redundant, no?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I'm pretty sure there's only 1 recording session but different release dates/labels, the first likely a couple 10" records.

I haven't listened on my tube stereo but I can't even hear a faint guitar on my tablet w Bluetooth speaker, not even at the very end. But my ears are almost hamburger at this point thanks to all the B-3 players w their amps on top of their Leslie pointed at my head.
    I have to find my copy-- I think the Verve CD release combines all of the recordings...

User Info Menu

If you're right it sounds to me he needn't have been there at all. In which case the thread's a bit redundant, no?
    Well, one could argue that with Oscar Peterson on piano any one else playing might be redundant! What a monster master of the instrument. Oscar clearly seemed to most prefer having a bass and guitar accompanying him though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

You haven't listened to it, obviously.

Where's Barney? ?
    It depends what audio equipment you listen to it on.
    I can hear it on my 12 inch high Edifier speakers, but ol'Barn disappears on my Motorola phone.
    YMMV.

User Info Menu

Well, whether he's there or not, it's definitely Barney Kessel!

User Info Menu

Well, whether he's there or not, it's definitely Barney Kessel!
    Barney or not, I'm thinking more and more if I just had to listen to Pres all day, everyday, I'd be just fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    This is the best I can put together from the information I have. There were apparently 2 Norgran 10" discs released (MGN5 and MGN6). There was a third sesion (probably also recorded in 1952) released as The President (Norgran MGN1005). They were later combined into a 1954 release on a 12" LP (Norgran MGN-1054).

Here are the track lists and personnel for The President Plays With The Oscar Peterson Trio:

Tracks #1-2, 6 & 9 original 10" LP issue entitled "Lester Young with The Oscar Peterson Trio #1" (Norgran MGN 5)
    Who was the guitarist on Lester Young's Stardust?-president-plays-oscar-peterson-trio-jpg

Tracks #3-4, 8 & 11 original 10" LP issue entitled "Lester Young with The Oscar Peterson Trio #2" (Norgran MGN 6)
    Who was the guitarist on Lester Young's Stardust?-president-plays-oscar-peterson-trio-jpg

Tracks #5-7, 12 original LP issue "The President" (Norgran MGN 1005)
    Who was the guitarist on Lester Young's Stardust?-president-plays-oscar-peterson-trio-jpg?

Personnel on tracks #1-13: Lester Young (ts, vcl on #13), Oscar Peterson (p), Barney Kessel (g), Ray Brown (b) and J.C. Heard (d). Recorded in New York City, on November 28, 1952
    (*) The bonus tracks features: Lester Young (cl on #14, ts on #15), Oscar Peterson (p), Harry Sweets Edison (tp), Herb Ellis (g), Ray Brown (b) and Louie Bellson (d). Recorded in Hollywood, on July 31, 1957

Putb them all together and they spell Norgran MGN1054:

01. AD LIB BLUES (5:54)
    02. JUST YOU, JUST ME (7:41)
    03. TEA FOR TWO (7:44)
    04. (BACK HOME AGAIN IN) INDIANA (7:03)
    05. THESE FOOLISH THINGS (3:27)
    06. I CANT GET STARTED (3:40)
    07. STARDUST (3:36)
    08. ON THE SUNNY SIDE OF THE STREET (3:27)
    09. ALMOST LIKE BEING IN LOVE (3:33)
    10. I CANT GIVE YOU ANYTHING BUT LOVE (3:22)
    11. THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER YOU (3:28)
    12. IM CONFESSIN (3:43)
    13. (IT TAKES) TWO TO TANGO (5:53)
    14. ST. TROPEZ (10:05) (*) Bonus Track
    15. LOVE IS HERE TO STAY (5:53) (*) Bonus Track

The 1952 sessions were released under several names at different times over the years. .

* Norgran MGN-1054
    The President Plays With The Oscar Peterson Trio
    = Verve MGV-8144 The Pres-ident Plays With The Oscar Peterson Trio
    * Verve V3HB-8849 Lester Young - Return Engagement
    * Verve VE-2-2502 Lester Young - Pres And Teddy And Oscar
    * Verve VSP/VSPS-27 Lester Young - Pres And His Cabinet
    * Norgran MGN-1005 The President, Lester Young
    = Norgran MGN-1093; Verve MGV-8181 Lester Swings Again
    * Norgran MGN-5 Lester Young With The Oscar Peterson Trio #1
    * Norgran MGN-6 Lester Young With The Oscar Peterson Trio #2

User Info Menu

First person to post an audible version of Berney Kessel doing Stardust with Oscar and Pres gets a banana. Who was the guitarist on Lester Young's Stardust?-images-png

User Info Menu

The musician's union was so strong back then, you got paid and listed on the track even if you sat it out.

User Info Menu

This is the best I can put together from the information I have. There were apparently 2 Norgran 10" discs released (MGN5 and MGN6). There was a third sesion (probably also recorded in 1952) released as The President (Norgran MGN1005). They were later combined into a 1954 release on a 12" LP (Norgran MGN-1054).

Here are the track lists and personnel for The President Plays With The Oscar Peterson Trio:

Tracks #1-2, 6 & 9 original 10" LP issue entitled "Lester Young with The Oscar Peterson Trio #1" (Norgran MGN 5)

Tracks #3-4, 8 & 11 original 10" LP issue entitled "Lester Young with The Oscar Peterson Trio #2" (Norgran MGN 6)

Tracks #5-7, 12 original LP issue "The President" (Norgran MGN 1005)
    Who was the guitarist on Lester Young's Stardust?-president-plays-oscar-peterson-trio-jpg?

Personnel on tracks #1-13: Lester Young (ts, vcl on #13), Oscar Peterson (p), Barney Kessel (g), Ray Brown (b) and J.C. Heard (d). Recorded in New York City, on November 28, 1952
    (*) The bonus tracks features: Lester Young (cl on #14, ts on #15), Oscar Peterson (p), Harry Sweets Edison (tp), Herb Ellis (g), Ray Brown (b) and Louie Bellson (d). Recorded in Hollywood, on July 31, 1957

Putb them all together and they spell Norgran MGN1054:

01. AD LIB BLUES (5:54)
    02. JUST YOU, JUST ME (7:41)
    03. TEA FOR TWO (7:44)
    04. (BACK HOME AGAIN IN) INDIANA (7:03)
    05. THESE FOOLISH THINGS (3:27)
    06. I CANT GET STARTED (3:40)
    07. STARDUST (3:36)
    08. ON THE SUNNY SIDE OF THE STREET (3:27)
    09. ALMOST LIKE BEING IN LOVE (3:33)
    10. I CANT GIVE YOU ANYTHING BUT LOVE (3:22)
    11. THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER YOU (3:28)
    12. IM CONFESSIN (3:43)
    13. (IT TAKES) TWO TO TANGO (5:53)
    14. ST. TROPEZ (10:05) (*) Bonus Track
    15. LOVE IS HERE TO STAY (5:53) (*) Bonus Track

The 1952 sessions were released under several names at different times over the years. .

* Norgran MGN-1054
    The President Plays With The Oscar Peterson Trio
    = Verve MGV-8144 The Pres-ident Plays With The Oscar Peterson Trio
    * Verve V3HB-8849 Lester Young - Return Engagement
    * Verve VE-2-2502 Lester Young - Pres And Teddy And Oscar
    * Verve VSP/VSPS-27 Lester Young - Pres And His Cabinet
    * Norgran MGN-1005 The President, Lester Young
    = Norgran MGN-1093; Verve MGV-8181 Lester Swings Again
    * Norgran MGN-5 Lester Young With The Oscar Peterson Trio #1
    * Norgran MGN-6 Lester Young With The Oscar Peterson Trio #2
    Yep, that's what I thought all from '52 except the clarinet tracks from a '57 co led lp w Sweets Edison.