The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

Not all musicians play solos of the same length in the same tune.
    What is it dependent on?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What story and ideas you have to unfold...

User Info Menu

Obviously depends on the circumstances. In the end it's probably what feels right at the time. If it feels too long, or feels too short, it probably is. There are tunes where the leader told the soloists to just keep playing till they thought it was time to stop :-)

I think there was a Coltrane solo on a record that lasted half an hour!

User Info Menu

It’s ok to quit after one or two if you are said what you are going to say. (On a 32 bar tune.) As an improviser one thing I learned is that a solo has a natural length and I learned to accept and feel that length rather than trying to spin things out longer out of feeling I wasn’t playing long enough.

I used to worry about running out of ideas - to be brutal, a lot of players I know (good players too) would be more compelling if they kept their solos a little shorter.

First rule of showbiz.

you can play as many as you like of course but earn them. You are probably not John Coltrane on burnout mode. In most cases my working assumption is that the audience would prefer to hear more tunes.

User Info Menu

Less than a week.

User Info Menu

Lately, I've been spending a lot of time listening to overdue jazz albums.
    Albums recorded in the studio and from jazz concerts.
    It often happens that concert versions are very long.
    Does the time of recording on a CD/around 70 minutes/ not limit the musician's creativity...?
    I noticed that there are CDs with more tunes and there are CDs with only a few tunes /concert ones/.
    Then do musicians have to be more focused in the studio because they are limited by time?
    Does it make the music more thoughtful?
    ps.
    I recently listened to one of the albums recorded by O.Peterson - there were a lot of tunes and extremely short solos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mheton
    What story and ideas you have to unfold...
    I listen to Miles Davis a lot and sometimes I get the impression that he plays the 'introduction' to a solo, for example- Coltrane.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Obviously depends on the circumstances. In the end it's probably what feels right at the time. If it feels too long, or feels too short, it probably is. There are tunes where the leader told the soloists to just keep playing till they thought it was time to stop :-)

I think there was a Coltrane solo on a record that lasted half an hour!
    Playing a long and interesting solo is very difficult.
    If someone plays a very long solo, he must have a lot of good things to say.
    He must also control the construction of this solo in individual choruses.
    The length of the sole must be a whole.
    The soloist must cooperate with the rhythm section and build tension and feeling together.
    Certainly, the length of the jazz solo is influenced by the style of jazz in which we move.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Style, how many players, expectations, all figure in.

For me, ideally, I like to make a good, short statement. But there's times you need to stretch out, too.

User Info Menu

I'm not very talented so I like systems. For example, when I do a blues jam, I sing 2 choruses, then I start nodding at people to take solos. I'll give them 2 choruses and then sing one, and nod to someone else. Sometimes I forget to start singing and they'll get 3, I play this off like I really like their solo, happy little accidents. I've found 1 chorus is too little and if we do 3 per soloist then Little Red Rooster ends up being 15+ minutes long and that's..... a lot for people to sit through.

When I have guys over to play jazz, I keep my solos short since I'm the least experienced and I don't nod or control things since it's at my house and 15 minutes of Girl From Ipanema just flies by when you're playing it. The longer they solo the more comping I can try out.

User Info Menu

Watch the faces of the audience and your fellow bandmates. When they lose interest or show annoyance, ...one less than that.

User Info Menu

Without an audience, music has no meaning.

User Info Menu

When I was in college, we had a Monk concert on campus. For one of his solos, he stood up and walked slowly around the piano a few times to the accompaniment of bass and drums.

He kept his coat and hat on all night, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    When I was in college, we had a Monk concert on campus. For one of his solos, he stood up and walked slowly around the piano a few times to the accompaniment of bass and drums.

He kept his coat and hat on all night, too.
    He must have done it often.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Certainly, the length of the jazz solo is influenced by the style of jazz in which we move.
    I'd go with that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    Less than a week.
    weekend?

User Info Menu

weekend?
    A week !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    A week !
    over what chords progression?

User Info Menu

over what chords progression?
    The chord progressions of Bruckner‘s Ninth Symphony, obviously.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Miles: How come you play so long solos?

Coltrane: I find it hard to stop.

Miles: Have you tried taking the horn out of your mouth?

User Info Menu

Miles: "Why do you play so many notes?"

Coltrane: "I'm looking for the right one."

Miles: "What if you should find it?"

Coltrane: "I'll play it again."

User Info Menu

Till you know it's time to stop. Or just before the last bus goes, whichever's first.

User Info Menu

Or maybe till the next guy waiting for his solo comes and smacks you on the ear :-)

User Info Menu

2-8 choruses depending on the playing situation, song tempo, and whether there are other soloists or not.

For a jam, I was at a jam recently, and the other guitarist only took one chorus cause he was student level so maybe for him it was the best choice but sometimes better players need to wring you out so you get mad at yourself and go home and improve your game. I always look to give at least a couple choruses with an extra if they are cooking at a jam. If they help themselves to more then it's kinda rude unless they are someone doing something special. Sometimes you get a Stevie Ray Vaughan visitor down here who just wants to play as many stevie licks at a TX jam as they can so they might take who knows how many choruses. Kinda funny to see just how far they will go with it.

For a personal recording though, however many choruses you can make slamming.....