The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Anyone more experienced than me have the Joe Diorio Fusion book and know the tunes it’s working with? I know the first one is Blue Bossa, but then I’m not sure.

Maybe I’m not ready for the book if I don’t know the tunes by chords alone….

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

if you can write the melody....practice 4 bar at a time then add the chords..write them out again 4 bars at a time

be determined to learn the tune..visualize the melody notes .. hear them ..then play them..same for the chords

you will thank your self for doing this type of study

give your self space and time to digest the tune ..its fairly easy ..16 bar framework...two hours of practice should get it under your fingers

User Info Menu

I don't have it in front of me, but I recall Stella By Starlight, I Love You and Wave among the tunes. It's a good book, Best wishes for your explorations!

PK
    Last edited by paulkogut; 04-16-2023 at 12:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    if you can write the melody....practice 4 bar at a time then add the chords..write them out again 4 bars at a time

be determined to learn the tune..visualize the melody notes .. hear them ..then play them..same for the chords

you will thank your self for doing this type of study

give your self space and time to digest the tune ..its fairly easy ..16 bar framework...two hours of practice should get it under your fingers
    That’s kind of the plan. I’m going to focus on the chords he gives and the original melody, then do the solos later. My comping is pretty awful compared to my single note stuff.

User Info Menu

I have this book .Great book.
    Very nice guitar comps and interesting original examples of solos.
    It's worth practicing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Anyone more experienced than me have the Joe Diorio Fusion book and know the tunes it’s working with? I know the first one is Blue Bossa, but then I’m not sure.
    Blue Bossa
    Stella By Starlight
    Summertime
    I Love You
    Wave
    Bb Blues
    Peaceful Journey
    ?
    All The Things...

I may be corrected if there is a song named in error. The one with ? I do not know, I hope that one of the fellow members will help to identify.

User Info Menu

Hi!
    The FUSION book by Joe Diorio is a collection of small masterpieces.

The melodic lines are very original and never banal. Just study a few pages to really learn how to play something musical without being a virtuoso. Joe Diorio was truly a genius.

Ettore

User Info Menu

The missing title I believe is Someone To Light Up My Life
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    Blue Bossa
    Stella By Starlight
    Summertime
    I Love You
    Wave
    Bb Blues
    Peaceful Journey
    ?
    All The Things...

I may be corrected if there is a song named in error. The one with ? I do not know, I hope that one of the fellow members will help to identify.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone this is very helpful

User Info Menu

I have a copy actually 2 I plan to ebay one if them. I play it occasionally. I like Joe because he was a student of Vincent Bredice and I have several of his books from Mel Bay. I searched here and there's no mention of them.

User Info Menu

But is it fusion? I borrowed it from the library a while ago, but found its content did not meet my expectations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    But is it fusion? I borrowed it from the library a while ago, but found its content did not meet my expectations.

I have his book "Intervallic Designes"..and many of exercises are useful to me in fusion settings..

I have found the term "fusion" means very different things to some players these days

User Info Menu

Fusion-Tonal and Avant Garde Music Combined in Melodic Guitar Solos by Joe Diorio.
    This is the full title of this publication.
    It's all about fusion : Be-bop style + playing with less harmonic restrictions.
    "Fusion of the two styles."

User Info Menu

There's the rub. Fusion in most quarters is thought of as, "a music genre that developed in the late 1960s when musicians combined jazz harmony and improvisation with rock music, funk, and rhythm and blues", in the words of Wikipedia.

User Info Menu

There's the rub. Fusion in most quarters is thought of as, "a music genre that developed in the late 1960s when musicians combined jazz harmony and improvisation with rock music, funk, and rhythm and blues", in the words of Wikipedia.
    This is not a book about the Fusion music style.
    The author used this term as a kind of connection.
    The ideas in this book can be used in a variety of styles, including a style of music called Fusion.
    I think you misunderstood the title of the book or you were misled.

User Info Menu

No, I did not misunderstand. I read English rather well, since it is my native language and I am educated. The title is misleading, since fusion is a genre of music, and not a word that is Diorio's to use as he pleases. But I quickly ascertained that it was not a book about fusion, so no harm was done.

User Info Menu

No, I did not misunderstand. I read English rather well, since it is my native language and I am educated. The title is misleading, since fusion is a genre of music, and not a word that is Diorio's to use as he pleases. But I quickly ascertained that it was not a book about fusion, so no harm was done.
    And I bought this book blind because I thought it was in the style of Fusion music.
    And now I think it's still a very valuable book.