The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I read about this—a reviewer who was there wrote that he felt like he was having a religious experience when he saw her.

I got tears from watching this—both from her immaculate phrasing and tone, at age 79 and after so long a struggle, and from the friends throughout her career who were singing with her on Circle Game. Including her 2 old boyfriends and musical collaborators James Taylor and Graham Nash.

It was great to have Joni for so long…but to have her BACK after her long, long struggle after her stroke is just beyond belief. I remember when she had her stroke. Very few people thought she would ever sing again. Or even walk or talk. She proved us wrong.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

And then these gems:

Angelique Kidjo performing Help Me and coming down to sing right in front of Joni:

Gershwin Prize | Angelique Kidjo Sings Help Me | Season 2023 | Episode 1 | PBS

And James Taylor doing a wonderful version of California:

Gershwin Prize | James Taylor Performs California | Season 2023 | Episode 1 | PBS

And of course Herbie Hancock and so many more great performers were there. If we could bottle the love in that room, we could cure every mental illness known to man.

User Info Menu

Wow, was not expecting that. Thanks so much for posting it.

User Info Menu

Stunning performances.

I watched the 90 minute presentation twice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Joan Anderson and the rest of the bowling team, Aden Bowman Collegiate, Saskatoon, 1962:

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Heinlein
    Anybody can look at a pretty girl and see a pretty girl. An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl that she used to be. But a great artist--a master ... can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is ... and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be ... and more than that, he can make anyone with the sensitivity of an armadillo, or even you, see that this lovely girl is still alive, not old and ugly at all, but simply prisoned inside her ruined body. He can make you feel the quiet, endless tragedy that there was never a girl born who ever grew older than eighteen in her heart ... no matter what the merciless hours have done to her.

The world is a better place because Joni Mitchell moved through so much of it.

User Info Menu

That bowling team pic is priceless. Remember her calling herself 'just a good-time Charlie from Saskatoon'? I can see the mischief in her eyes. Awesome collection of cardigans!

It really is an amazing come-back to be able to sing as she does now after going through what she did. I'm happy to have her back too, though my taste in Joni leans more towards some of her darker stuff, like Sire of Sorrow. That's an amazing piece of writing.