The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

Ok, time to think about your guitar playing goals and how to achieve them. Break it down into little steps or segments and focus on a step per week. They'll add up over the longer term.

My ultimate goal would be to write and record a very good and interesting solo guitar album while supporting myself as a teacher/musician.

My practise goal from this Monday to Sunday will include;

* Ear training
    * Repertoire
    * Study 3 part 4ths and write something with them before the Goodrick study group in 2 weeks time
    * Study partimento and schemata and write something using these principles

What will you practise this week?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

First, I suggest you make a recording .
    Then do a self-criticism if it makes sense at all.

User Info Menu

I'm starting to learn Donna Lee. So I'll be spending some time transcribing the first part of the head. I'll be figuring out some grips for the chords, and playing perpetual arpeggio exercises through the changes, or at least the first few bars of the changes. I may try composing a few phrases to go over them too. For desert, I found a nice young man on the internet who says he can help me play like George Benson, so I'll be studying some of his videos.

User Info Menu

donna lee?
    This is a very serious challenge.
    I've been playing it for 40 years and it always stresses me out that I'm going to crash.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I don't think I'l be playing it at anything like the full tempo. Christian set the challenge as a long-term project. It'll help with ear training and picking up vocabulary for sure.

User Info Menu

Modes of the Scottish pentatonic scale.

User Info Menu

Three and four part chords built in diatonic and pure fourths, then applying them to a diatonic harmony thinking about the roots on the top and the roots on the bottom, and voice led sequences with the roots moving internally.
    I want to get this up to speed. I guess playing them as single note lines sometime when they occur but one step at a time.
    I have this feeling that quartral harmony can change my life.
    Thanks Ed Bikert for finding your way into this.

User Info Menu

Hour no. 1 - Technique I - Alternate picking, Economy picking, Legato

Hour no. 2 - Technique II - Various funk licks/strumming, Hybrid picking, Bach Presto in G minor, Donna Lee head

Hour no. 3 - Tune I - Chords: drop 2 & 4, drop 2 and drop 3

Hour no. 4 - Transcription

Hour no. 5 - Tune II - continuous scale & arpeggio exercises, improv, learn/write ideas rubato

Hour no. 6 - Reading, maybe sight-reading but also playing through books that may or may not also have tab, learning new stuff

That's basically it...

User Info Menu

Improvising Double Harmonic Ab and its derivative modes all over the neck, all fingerings

User Info Menu

Mickey Baker Lessons 35 and 36. I'll probably learn the lyrics to You're so fine by The Falcons and the solo in a Jay McShann song I heard last night too. I want to spice up my blues jam repertoire.

User Info Menu

No routine for me, every day is an adventure!

I tend to play guitar every day except the day
    before a performance. The other instruments
    I tend to play one every few days just for fun.

Jazz
    ----- Guitar
    ----- ----- Solid body
    ----- ----- Archtop
    ----- ----- DM-18 with pickup in sound hole
    Classical
    ----- Clarinet - sight reading
    ----- Piano - slow sight reading
    ----- Violin - slow sight reading
    ----- Cornet - very slow sight reading

User Info Menu

I play a trascription and jam with sunnybass online most days.
    Check a new tune or revise an old forgotten one.
    Play some bach - reading and technique.
    Sing a transcription.
    compose and explore some voicings.
    prepare for upcoming gig or recording session.

User Info Menu

Have a great week everyone!

Stick to your goals.

I'm also curious as to what all of your longer term goals are?

User Info Menu

I have none.

User Info Menu

The overlying goal is to get a group together and gig. Under that I'm working on reading music, hearing harmony, and singing(lyrics and lines), recording videos so I have something to send as a demo to peers, and eventually as marketing.

I'm going to finish Mickey Baker's book and then check out Joe Diorio's Fusion book. That's probably the next year as far as books go.

User Info Menu

The One Week Practise Routine-wdka-chopin-jpg

User Info Menu

Atm it’s a one hour-couple of hours. This is all meant to be stuff that targets what I identify to be weaknesses in my playing.

1) practice with slow metronome (25-15bpm) and record.
    2) reading. Mostly this has been putting new lead sheets together on a DAW with little or no practice (because it’s fun to find out what tunes sound like and it also means I practice comping) but might also be reading through single note stuff with a click. Also working on reading at piano pitch as a well as guitar pitch which is a weakness. Some bass clef too.
    3) harmony stuff. Atm mostly VLA cycles, four part fourths and TBN1
    4) atm working two part inventions up to speed. At the moment I have no4 and 13 but these are hard to get into my fingers. they make good technical etudes.
    5) learning standards off Ethan Iverson’s list. There’s a few I don’t know so I can check the tick boxes on my notes until there are no more gaps. Atm it’s ‘My old flame’. I focus on ear learning which gets a bit of that into my routine.

So this is not the alpha and omega for me and there’s a lot of stuff I’m doing by and by which isn’t on this list, but this is the stuff I have currently prioritised for back burner work, ie a little every day which I think will lead to measurable improvement in certain areas and stave off that feeling of ‘am i any better than I was a year ago?’ It’s like going to the gym or running regularly, just showing up consistently is a big part of it.

Also, with my current addled brain it’s routine, habit stuff which I don’t think about. It’s just what I do when I pick up a guitar for a little while. For me it’s important to have stuff like that. If I have 15m or something I will choose one thing. These are all things I do for about 10-15m each. It’s also important to have creative and less regimented practice and that’s not included here. Also the partimento stuff that’s more for fun.

Also note that I’m not doing much single note soloing practice stuff atm, but tbh I think I’ve spent the most time on that over the past 30 years, and it’s good enough for now esp if I polish 1) (Plus the harmony stuff can make for good lines)
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 04-10-2023 at 10:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    The One Week Practise Routine-wdka-chopin-jpg
    thats bloody nice stuff that is, brought some back from Poland years ago.

User Info Menu

My long term goals are finishing a couple of books (The Advancing Guitarist, Improviser's OS, and the Goodchord Almanacs). I tune in Major thirds so it may be actually possible to finish them.

And also to learn 1350 jazz tunes by ear. I might even include transcribing all solos from certain artists if I have the time. Learn classical pieces too. Be able to sight read and comp really well. Thats pretty much it I think. Just realized after writing this down I may have to practice more

User Info Menu

40 hours a day! To quote a meme…

User Info Menu

I do an assessment when I feel like I should. It is about a 3 to 6 month process. I look at my weaknesses. Set up a practice routine based on addressing those weaknesses.

I do the practice regimen, and see if it is addressing those specific areas. I always look at incorporating the ideas and/or technique.

If they are part of my playing great. I put them into a bag/book, and try and utilize that bag/book often enough to keep them available at any moment.

When they become a part of my daily language, I do not worry about them as much. As long as I am playing enough, they will actualize themselves often enough.

Assessment is key, and language is the goal.

However, there has to be an ground for this process to really work. The ground is based on: technique, theory, and ear. It should be all one thing.

Right now given my history, I am working on recreating the ground.

User Info Menu

Slight change of trajectory for me on the perpetual arpeggio front. I found it was too challenging with all the arpeggios in a position I'm not too familiar with, so instead settled for practicing pairs of arpeggios. Still a lot of work. So now I'm reducing it to just the harmonically important movements. Eg Not going to practice AbM7 to F7. But will practice F7 to Bb7. Time and again I have to remind myself that focussing on fewer things tends to yield better results.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Mickey Baker Lessons 35 and 36. I'll probably learn the lyrics to You're so fine by The Falcons and the solo in a Jay McShann song I heard last night too. I want to spice up my blues jam repertoire.
    On to lesson 37. The solo I was going to transcribe didn’t grab me on second listen so I went with another song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CliffR
    Slight change of trajectory for me on the perpetual arpeggio front. I found it was too challenging with all the arpeggios in a position I'm not too familiar with, so instead settled for practicing pairs of arpeggios. Still a lot of work. So now I'm reducing it to just the harmonically important movements. Eg Not going to practice AbM7 to F7. But will practice F7 to Bb7. Time and again I have to remind myself that focussing on fewer things tends to yield better results.
    don’t forget triads!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    don’t forget triads!
    You mean triads from other notes in the chord? Too many things for my poor old brain!