The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CliffR
    You mean triads from other notes in the chord? Too many things for my poor old brain!
    nah just 1 3 5 for now

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks. But.... why differentiate between learning the triads and the four-note arpeggios (including the 7ths)?

User Info Menu

That's great Cliff and Allan.

I'm back teaching this week so will be doing ear training with my students and will be playing some repertoire with them as well as they play a complimentary part ( or I do ).

My aim this week is to keep writing with three part 4ths. As always I think that I'm writing something cool but when I listen back later it's not what I thought

I got some cool stuff but need some more

That's my priority this week.

If I get time I'll look into the schemata stuff again. I'm finding that it's finding it's way into my writing so that's good.

What is everyone else up to this week?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    What is everyone else up to this week?
    Same as last week! That was pretty much my routine for the foreseeable...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W

Yup - -

Tomorrow morning I'll get up as soon as the morning paper usually gets here...Then I'll check the obituaries, and if I don't see my name in there, I'll get out of bed.

Funny how those people are always dying in alphabetical order....

Two, three, four..... : )

User Info Menu

Do you have a specific measurable goal you want to hit this week? Like, when I learned scales I had a goal to learn the 5 positions in 2 weeks. 2 a week since I already knew one of them. Just rote memorization, then as I got them under my fingers I did finger patterns, arpeggios and note names.

I found it easier to have small goals I could reach instead of a large abstract goal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Do you have a specific measurable goal you want to hit this week?
    No, because I can't predict how long it will take to absorb the stuff I'm working on. I practice all day and have made a lot of progress since switching back to plectrum-jazz guitar last December, certainly with my right-hand technique, by leaps and bounds (still some way to go though). I have one tune I'm working on at the moment - Someday My Prince Will Come and once I feel comfortable with that I'll move on to another one. No point in giving myself an arbitrary deadline, I put the hours in regardless. I know of the 'SMART' thing, but at least in this instance, would question whether having something specifically time-bound is really necessary. Perhaps for stuff like learning a new scale - but I haven't learnt a new scale in a while. Maybe I should?

User Info Menu

No, because I can't predict how long it will take to absorb the stuff I'm working on. I practice all day and have made a lot of progress since switching back to plectrum-jazz guitar last December, certainly with my right-hand technique, by leaps and bounds (still some way to go though). I have one tune I'm working on at the moment - Someday My Prince Will Come and once I feel comfortable with that I'll move on to another one. No point in giving myself an arbitrary deadline, I put the hours in regardless. I know of the 'SMART' thing, but at least in this instance, would question whether having something specifically time-bound is really necessary. Perhaps for stuff like learning a new scale - but I haven't learnt a new scale in a while. Maybe I should?
    I went back in the thread and saw you have a six hour practice plan. You're on an entirely different level than me. LOL.

User Info Menu

My how time flies!!

This week I am just concentrating on writing.

This has two benefits. 1) I can play some of it on gigs during the summer and 2) it gets me closer to the goal of recording a solo guitar album that I'm proud off.

Also I listen to my inner ear a lot when I'm writing so it speeds up the process of 'playing what you hear'.

What's everyone else working on this week?

User Info Menu

I've narrowed my focus this last couple of days to finish learning the first half of Donna' Lee's head by ear (I'm still uncertain of a couple of places) and getting it under the fingers. I can't play it faster than around 50% at the moment, mostly because I haven't learnt it sufficiently well, rather technical limitations (which will surely be a problem at higher tempos). I also find maintaining focus for this length of time can be quite a challenge.

User Info Menu

The same as previous weeks, though I have now resolved to learn a tune a week - this week it's Blue Bossa. Not too difficult and quite fun.

I'm going to have to devise a system where these tunes get recycled in and out of my practice schedule.

I wonder if any forumistas have tips on maintaining a large-ish repertoire of tunes?

User Info Menu

The same as previous weeks, though I have now resolved to learn a tune a week - this week it's Blue Bossa. Not too difficult and quite fun.

I'm going to have to devise a system where these tunes get recycled in and out of my practice schedule.

I wonder if any forumistas have tips on maintaining a large-ish repertoire of tunes?
    I have a notebook with a list of tunes and things I practice. I also keep a spotify play list called "Allan's Jazz Combo" of the tunes I know, then if I find people interested in playing I can send them the playlist and say "These are the ones I know." I also play along to the playlist, and spotify premium is a must. I can't handle all those ads.

As far as this weeks goal. I still need to do lesson 37 of the Mikey Baker book. I'm finally comfortable enough doing lesson 36 to move on. It's hard to memorize 24 bars from the page having never actually heard the music. Since I didn't move ahead in the book I've been tossing the MB stuff into every improv I do to see where they'll sound good.

User Info Menu

Again this week I'll be working with Mick Goodrick's Almanacs, learning new voicings, new sounds, new harmony and trying to write an etude or two with the material.

I also want to improve my relative pitch quicker so see the ear training thread.....

What's everyone else up to this week?

User Info Menu

Practice the process of learning them. You will always forget tunes, but after a few hundred you’ll be able to relearn them fast.

Aural memory seems to be more reliable than kinaesthetic memory.

User Info Menu

Working on the B section of Donna Lee, both melody and chords.