The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

I think Joe was speaking of the world. So, question:

How has the instrument (steel stringed guitar) progressed since 1985? Or has it declined, or remained about where it was already?

I think it has declined a little bit. By 1985 rock had already had its say. Hendrix was long gone. Holdsworth had already made his presence known.

McLaughlin, Benson, and Metheny are still carrying the flame, thankfully. Matteo Mancuso is encouraging.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    ....McLaughlin, Benson, and Metheny are still carrying the flame, thankfully. Matteo Mancuso is encouraging.
    Just a side note. From the photo of the DownBeat article posted by Litterick, post #19:

Harry plays the new Gretsch 'Miracle Neck' guitar…”It has the slimmest fastest playing neck I’ve ever had in my hands,” says Harry.

The need for speed on guitar has been around forever, and to the point of being a part of marketing since at least 1951!

User Info Menu

What is "plectrum guitar" really?-downbeat-classifieds-png

Jazz Guitar Online readers should be protected from the unworthy.

User Info Menu

I still think that guitar has not been accepted as a “real” instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    I still think that guitar has not been accepted as a “real” instrument.
    I think there is something to that in the classical world, but I think that some of it is soloist envy at this point. Ironically, the Concierto De Aranjuez is the most requested concerto for American symphony orchestras. (you hear that, French horn players?!?. trust me, they know).

As of 2023, American music fans have grown up listening to popular music, which is guitar oriented in many cases.