The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have been playing with a GPT-3.5 chatbot trained for UFO research, and by requesting the sources of the answers be identified,
    I have asked and confirmed that questions which could not be responded to from UFO research training sources were directed to
    the internet, from which the responses were formed. I have asked no questions about UFOs, but some music questions like this:
    Play with a chatbot-ufochatbot-jpg

Jenny, UfoGPT Chatbot1 | ora.sh

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can suggest fingering for chords (including thumb).

Play with a chatbot-botchord-jpg

Second time this evening I have found the chatbot
    to initially respond that something has no solution,
    then say it is probable, then admit to the solution.

Play with a chatbot-chatbot2-jpg

User Info Menu

I had this conversation yesterday

- I asked about jazz songs about something other than love and romantic relationships
    - It struggled and tried to BS.
    - I spotted the BS and confronted it
    - It partially confessed but still tried to defend its stance with some BS
    (to some extent they are correct, but they were specifically asked about songs not on this particular subject so they could have chosen their songs more carefully in the beginning).

Transcript with important bits in bold:

Me: Which subjects are most popular in jazz lyrics other than love and romantic relationships?

GPT4:
    Jazz music covers a wide range of themes, and while love and romantic relationships are common topics, there are other subjects frequently found in jazz lyrics. Some of these include:

1. Social issues and commentary: Jazz has often been used as a platform to express opinions on social and political issues. Songs like "Strange Fruit" by Billie Holiday and "Alabama" by John Coltrane address racial injustice and civil rights.
    2. Personal experiences and emotions: Jazz artists often draw from their own experiences and emotions, creating songs that are introspective and reflective. Examples include "Good Morning Heartache" by Billie Holiday and "'Round Midnight" by Thelonious Monk.
    3. Everyday life: Jazz songs often depict everyday life situations and experiences, like going to work, spending time with friends, or enjoying leisure activities. Examples include "Take Five" by Dave Brubeck and "Work Song" by Nat Adderley.
    4. Places and travel: Many jazz songs are inspired by or dedicated to specific places, cities, or countries, often evoking the atmosphere or spirit of the location. Examples include "New York, New York" by Frank Sinatra, "April in Paris" by Count Basie, and "On the Sunny Side of the Street" by Louis Armstrong.
    5. Humor and wit: Some jazz songs incorporate humor, wordplay, or clever storytelling. Examples include "Straighten Up and Fly Right" by Nat King Cole and "Ain't Misbehavin'" by Fats Waller.
    6. Instrumental music: Many jazz compositions are entirely instrumental, without any lyrics. These songs showcase the musicians' improvisational skills and focus on the melody, harmony, and rhythm. Examples include "So What" by Miles Davis and "Blue Rondo à la Turk" by Dave Brubeck.

These are just a few examples of the diverse themes and subjects found in jazz music.

Me: What is round midnight about?

GPT4:
    "'Round Midnight" is a jazz standard composed by pianist Thelonious Monk. The song is primarily an instrumental piece with a haunting, melancholic melody. Although it has been recorded with lyrics written by Bernie Hanighen, the lyrics are not the primary focus of the song.
    The lyrics of "'Round Midnight" reflect feelings of sadness, loneliness, and longing, particularly during the late hours of the night. The song captures the mood and atmosphere of being awake and contemplative in the early morning hours when the world is quiet and still.
    As an instrumental composition, "'Round Midnight" is widely known for its complex harmonic structure and distinctive melody, which have made it a popular choice for jazz musicians to perform and reinterpret. The song has been covered by numerous artists, such as Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, and Bill Evans, each bringing their unique style to the timeless classic.

Me: How do the lyrics go?

GPT4:
    The lyrics to "'Round Midnight," written by Bernie Hanighen, are as follows:
    It begins to tell'Round midnight, midnight
    I do pretty well till after sundown
    Supper time, I'm feeling sad
    But it really gets bad
    'Round midnight

Memories always start 'round midnight
    Haven't got the heart to stand those memories
    When my heart is still with you
    And old midnight knows it too
    When a quarrel we had needs mending
    Does it mean that our love is ending?
    Darling, I need you
    Lately, I find
    You're out of my arms
    And I'm out of my mind

Let our love take wing some midnight
    'Round midnight
    Let the angels sing for your returning
    Till our love is safe and sound
    And old midnight comes around
    Feeling sad, really gets bad
    'Round, 'round, 'round midnight

Please note that different artists may interpret and sing the lyrics slightly differently when they perform the song.

Me: Looks to me like the main theme of this lyric is a romantic relationship?

GPT4:
    Yes, you are correct. The lyrics of "'Round Midnight" do center around the theme of a romantic relationship.
    The song conveys feelings of sadness, loneliness, and longing, particularly during the late hours of the night. The lyrics depict the narrator reminiscing about a relationship, with memories becoming more vivid and painful around midnight. The song also touches on the hope for reconciliation and the return of a loved one.
    Though the instrumental version of the song is more widely known, the lyrics, when included, do indeed focus on romantic emotions and experiences.

User Info Menu

May have to restrict my playing with the bot to music only, where the
    consequences of error are a matter of taste vs a matter of life & death.
    I asked about something I know about (I published research papers).
    I corrected the bot's response to which she admitted being mistaken,
    in the same breath as autonomous vehicle control! God help us all...
    Play with a chatbot-botcst-jpg