The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Does anyone know how to contact whoever is maintaining the Ralphpatt.com website? This is the Vanilla Chords site. I want to let them know that the links on the "Tonal Center" page are no longer working. The Tonal Center page is very interesting and useful. It links you to songs that use similar progressions and modulations. I sent an email to the address on the home page but it is no longer valid. Can anybody help?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Litterick, I just get this from your link.

Attachment 100428
    Somebody must be looking after it.

User Info Menu

Very odd. It was a link to the domain administration enquiry form, which I obtained from Whois. Yesterday, I saw a form you could fill to tell the site owner what was wrong. Today, I see what you see.

User Info Menu

I'm a little surprised the website still exists. Sadly, Ralph passed on years ago, so I have no idea who has been paying for the site hosting. It may be gone if no one steps up to pay for it.

User Info Menu

There's a lot of info on that Whois link.

https://www.whois.com/whois/ralphpatt.com

I don't know what this means:

clientDeleteProhibited
    The link Litterick gave has 'Email' against it:

Email:
    Tiered Access
    It's registered in California but any reference to the Registrant is held back:

Registrant Name: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
    Registrant Organization: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
    Registrant Street: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
    Registrant City: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
    Registrant State/Province: CA
    Strangely, it says the last Whois site update is today!

>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2023-04-02
    But whoever it is, they're doing us a good service.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    Does anyone know how to contact whoever is maintaining the Ralphpatt.com website? This is the Vanilla Chords site. I want to let them know that the links on the "Tonal Center" page are no longer working. The Tonal Center page is very interesting and useful. It links you to songs that use similar progressions and modulations. I sent an email to the address on the home page but it is no longer valid. Can anybody help?
    The "Tonal Center" link is working for me but it is also available on the WayBack machine at:

The Tonal Centers Page

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by thelostboss
    The "Tonal Center" link is working for me but it is also available on the WayBack machine at:

The Tonal Centers Page

Hope this helps
    Thanks, Boss. That works. I've heard of but never used the WayBack machine before.

Are you saying that the links are working for you on the current website? I've had 1 other person try the links with Firefox and Chrome and they didn't work for him either. The links take us to a "403" error page
    Forbidden

You don't have permission to access this resource.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    Thanks, Boss. That works. I've heard of but never used the WayBack machine before.

Are you saying that the links are working for you on the current website? I've had 1 other person try the links with Firefox and Chrome and they didn't work for him either. The links take us to a "403" error page
    Forbidden

You don't have permission to access this resource.

Yes the link works for me with Firefox on a Mac, could be that it is cached on my system though.

I just tried with Safari and it worked there as well although it marks the page as not secure.

cheers

User Info Menu

Jack -

Er... I have a confession. I didn't try the link (on the original site) myself before I posted. It works. Why it doesn't for you, I don't know. I'm using Firefox, btw.

The Vanilla Chords Website-j-jpg

User Info Menu

I just tried, and the Tonal Centers page works fine for me in Firefox. I don't currently have Chrome installed on this machine.

User Info Menu

The Tonal Centers page comes up for me, but all the links on it (in blue) to the various tune lists come up with ‘403 access forbidden’ type permission messages, I assume this is what the OP was referring to.

User Info Menu

All my links work. I do have the site bookmarked, I don't know if that makes any difference. Also, I'm on a laptop, not a smartphone. But it works on an old Samsung Galaxy too which I believe uses Chrome.

Sorry, looks like I'm having too much luck with this. Have you checked your settings? I can't think of anything else.

If the worst comes to the worst, and it doesn't happen all the time (!), I'd be happy to post what you want to see here, if that'll do the job.

User Info Menu

I'm on my chromebook now, and I'm getting forbidden for the links. Maybe it's a chrome thing. Chrome also warns me at every click that the site is unsafe because it uses http instead of https. Https wasn't a thing when Ralph set it up.

I appreciate all the responses. It's crazy how the links are working for some people and not others regardless of the browser being used. Maybe the HTTP vs HTTPS has something to do with it.

Anyway, the WayBack machine is working for me. I do hope the website stays up. Patt put a lot of work into it.

User Info Menu

I doubt the Wayback Machine will go away but its parent, The Internet Archive, is in trouble over copyright on the books it has digitised. Perhaps you should copy the pages you need, just in case. You can save entire web pages or print them as PDFs.

User Info Menu

Is it possible to attach a PDF to a post?

User Info Menu

See the FAQ re. posting stuff and attachments.

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/faq....b3_attachments

Basically there’s an option below the message window called Manage Attachments which lets you do this.

User Info Menu

Vanilla.pdf

Let me know if this works.

User Info Menu

Yes it does!

User Info Menu

I trust Mr. Patt and his site managers wouldn't mind my posting.

User Info Menu

I don’t think Mr. Patt is going to be suing you any time soon.

User Info Menu

Indeed. I suspect that chord charts are still not copyrightable.
    Thanks for your help.