The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

ID this jazz box-c92cf69e-9704-4fcb-9041-692a12fd968d-jpegID this jazz box-f80256a4-942c-494f-8868-d1136595f738-jpeg

any ideas what this is folks ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I’m asking for a friend ....

User Info Menu

Samick?

User Info Menu

Yeah, wasn’t there some kind of Samick Jeff Bennett model? Not that I know who that is but I could google him. Or the OP can.

Oops, that was Greg Bennett. The OP’s guitar may be a variation of the JZ-3 model.

User Info Menu

The layout of the various control knobs and the pickup selector switch, plus the look of the pickups, plus the machine-heads - all suggest Gretsch to me. Having said that, nothing else about the guitar does so.

Yes it does look Gretch-ey , pickups control layout etc

Does anyone recognise the headstock logo ?

ID this jazz box-16789710109018338554309148413052-jpg

User Info Menu

Its a Sam'etch?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Yeah, wasn’t there some kind of Samick Jeff Bennett model? Not that I know who that is but I could google him. Or the OP can.

Oops, that was Greg Bennett. The OP’s guitar may be a variation of the JZ-3 model.
    It doesn’t look like one of those, which have a different headstock and other details (e.g., tailpiece, inlays). Overall it looks a bit more like earlier Samicks. The back of the guitar might tell us more (e.g., scarf joint and serial #).

User Info Menu

Inlays are Emperor Regent...

Are the Korean Gretsches Samick-made? Certainly Epiphones at one time were...

Could be a catalog guitar. Lots of small music shops order these, they're all made in the same factories but they have different branding. I can remember a run of Korean made guitars the place I used to teach at, they were very clearly Samicks but branded "Kansas" at the time. They were decent guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    It doesn’t look like one of those, which have a different headstock and other details (e.g., tailpiece, inlays). Overall it looks a bit more like earlier Samicks. The back of the guitar might tell us more (e.g., scarf joint and serial #).
    no other pics , or serial number