The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 56

User Info Menu

?.....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What does it mean for you to be a jazz musician?-screen-shot-2023-03-14-1-45-16-am-png

User Info Menu

What does it mean for you to be a jazz musician?-jazz-lifespans-png

User Info Menu

Explain this graph because I don't understand...

User Info Menu

I better like the music I play cause it sure don't pay

User Info Menu

It means that I have neither the desire or ability to talk about music with 99.9% of people I meet. So far, has worked out pretty well for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Explain this graph because I don't understand...
    Most jazz musicians did not live long enough to need a retirement plan.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Most jazz musicians did not live long enough to need a retirement plan.
    How old is Sonny Rollins?

User Info Menu

It means four things: chicks, chicks, chicks, and dough.

[and why are there no jazz guitarists on that chart??]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    How old is Sonny Rollins?
    How old was Charlie Parker?

User Info Menu

Amazing that Chet Baker made it to 58. Apparently he was much tougher than he looked, I once read that he could beat most people arm-wrestling.

Re. the thread topic, I have too much respect for real jazz musicians to call myself one, I just play for fun. I guess the improvising aspect is what got me into it in the first place. But I also enjoy playing classical guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy

[and why are there no jazz guitarists on that chart??]
    Because they had a qualifying questionare and it involved sight reading.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    How old was Charlie Parker?
    how old are you?

User Info Menu

For me, I just got so bored playing rock and the occasional (very easy) classical piece and didn't want to just watch my limited skill set decline as the years went by, as they tend to do So I found a jazz teacher in Philly named Steven Ford (great guy) and decided to just keep learning about music and try to become an actual musician instead of just a musically illiterate rock guitarist and it has been a wonderful trip. I'm definitely not a 'jazz musician', but I'm going to enjoy every minute of the trip to that place whether I ever get there or not.

User Info Menu

It means there's a wealth of music that I can go make with complete strangers because we know the same tunes.

It means never needing to play something the same way twice.

It means never having an excuse to be bored again.

User Info Menu

Django AND Joe Pass are on that chart.

Oh, and a jazz musician is someone who can improvise over some standards. Getting in the door is easy.

User Info Menu

The life of a jazz musician is primarily jazz clubs.Jazz friends meet there.

User Info Menu

For me it has been a varied ride, from teaching kids to teaching in a university, from playing bars to playing festivals and touring, with everything in between. I wouldn't call myself strictly a jazz player, as much of my playing and work has been in other genres as well, but jazz has been the focus since very early.

The two things I still enjoy the most are playing with a good band, and, mostly, practicing the guitar..!

User Info Menu

As an amateur guitarist who is fond of the GAS standards, being a jazz musician means having fun playing these tunes with like minded others at jam sessions.

With several cafes and music houses to play at in any given month, it’s also being part of a musical social scene with enough spontaneity and unpredictability to keep participation interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    It means there's a wealth of music that I can go make with complete strangers because we know the same tunes.

It means never needing to play something the same way twice.

It means never having an excuse to be bored again.
    I thought I’d get all of this from bluegrass, but it’s just as hard to break into as jazz is. I started playing bluegrass for the simple reason that I wanted to play with people and that seemed like the easiest way. It didn’t work out that way, and it turns out I don’t care much for the music.

I’m no jazz musician yet and might not ever be, but one day I’ll get me an ES-175 and play shell voicings on it. That’s something, I guess.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd
    As an amateur guitarist who is fond of the GAS standards, being a jazz musician means having fun playing these tunes with like minded others at jam sessions.

With several cafes and music houses to play at in any given month, it’s also being part of a musical social scene with enough spontaneity and unpredictability to keep participation interesting.
    As an amateur jazz guitarist I would have provided a very similar response: leaning to play jazz standards well enough to play with others. To me that is what it is all about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Amazing that Chet Baker made it to 58. Apparently he was much tougher than he looked, I once read that he could beat most people arm-wrestling.

Re. the thread topic, I have too much respect for real jazz musicians to call myself one, I just play for fun. I guess the improvising aspect is what got me into it in the first place. But I also enjoy playing classical guitar.
    A piano player friend of mine who I used to play with for a number of years was so traumatized by being on the road with CB for eight months, that he refused to talk about it, and he never did!

In an interview with Don Friedman, the interviewer said something about Chet Baker, and Friedman interrupted him with, "You mean Chet Baker is still alive?!!"
    DF then went on to tell him about Chet driving 100mph through residential neighborhoods when he was on the road with him!
    58? That's a miracle!

User Info Menu

I don't really think of myself as a jazz musician, even though it's all I listen to and play these days. Even though I got into over 50 years ago. I did a lot of other stuff for several decades. Maybe that's why.

As for Chet: great player and monumental dope fiend, which is something I happen to know a little bit about. Hard for me to understand how he lasted that long. Probably can't be done now.

User Info Menu

They didn't have statins, then. And everybody was 'mokin & dwinkin'
    Then there have been bad drug waves clearing the streets.

Jazz Bassists 732/12 = 61 yrs
    Jazz Drummers 809/11 = 73.5

User Info Menu

WHAT DOES IT MEAN FOR YOU TO BE A JAZZ MUSICIAN?

I've performed for a long time, many different music styles, many bands (as many as six bands at the same time), many kinds of venues from cozy clubs to festivals and arenas. To me, Jazz is a style of music, but even more an approach to music that is serious and conceptual that extends to and benefits other styles. This leads to parallel thinking in the Jazz/Non-jazz environments...

In the practical world of being on stage in non-jazz bands, it means band mates think that:
    - I am a Jazz guitarist, even while playing many styles of music
    - I have perfect pitch even though I don't believe in it
    - I know all the tunes, e,g,, "Hey, does anyone (not you Pauln) know how to play <insert song name here> ?"
    - I know music theory even though I don't, and anyway I do everything by ear

In the Art world of my Jazz trio (bass, drums, guitar) it means my band mates think that:
    - I am a Jazz guitarist
    - I have perfect pitch
    - I know all the tunes
    - I know music theory