The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 56 of 56

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jackalGreen
    Drink Scotch whisky, all night long.

But more seriously, play just what I feel. No, on any instrument I don't always play exactly what's in my ear...I can't do a Les McCann or George Benson, or any of the others who use this tool, "scat while playing," not with perfect honesty and accuracy, and this may sound odd, but I feel as a jazz musician, I can hang musicially with just about anything.

A whole lot of things I don't want to, and many I probably just couldn't, but c'mon, man! Who says a funk band can't play rock? Cheezits, who says a jazz player can't play some country, or anything else folk-music derived? Even legit music.

I don't call Alabama the Crimson Tide, but then they don't call me nothing either. Just a thing.

As a jazz musician, first I look at the purse. And that purse is not too full these days. So, I just play. No, not for play play. If I don't get paid, I don't play. Unfortunately, I don't play too much now! Ain't bringing my gear out to play for some comped beers and maybe get a few phone numbers to play with later! Maybe that's an arrogant jazz musician talking, but I just call myself a regular musician...who happens to be arrogant and would rather play to nobody or practice my craft than be shorted by some bar owner or whatever.
    and die behind the cycle of fifths

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Though time has changed and today there is an academic jazz and lots of 'secure' ways to play so-called 'jazz style music' with rules. limitations and certain predictability of aesthetic result and comfort.

I still think of jazz as I though about it in my late teens when I discovered it and got involved into it - for me two essential things about jazz aesthetic were liberty and risk. And I am conviced that this originated in the roots of jazz as artistic movement within certain social context - it was literally a 'place' of freedom and it often took a real risk to do that.
    Now this social background went awayand these qualities transformed in a pure artistic area. At least I feel it this way.

So for it is still most important thing about being jazz musician: almost complete freedom and always being at the edge of unknown taking, chances, risking.

Disclaimer: I do not look at this question as at 'being professional jazz musician'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    and die behind the cycle of fifths
    They got a name for the winners of the world, you know...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    They got a name for the winners of the world, you know...
    Sure. However, for me, it’s very much the day of the expanding man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Though time has changed and today there is an academic jazz and lots of 'secure' ways to play so-called 'jazz style music' with rules. limitations and certain predictability of aesthetic result and comfort.

I still think of jazz as I though about it in my late teens when I discovered it and got involved into it - for me two essential things about jazz aesthetic were liberty and risk. And I am conviced that this originated in the roots of jazz as artistic movement within certain social context - it was literally a 'place' of freedom and it often took a real risk to do that.
    Now this social background went awayand these qualities transformed in a pure artistic area. At least I feel it this way.

So for it is still most important thing about being jazz musician: almost complete freedom and always being at the edge of unknown taking, chances, risking.

Disclaimer: I do not look at this question as at 'being professional jazz musician'.
    As for your disclaimer; I view being able to play with almost complete freedom and always being at the edge of taking changes\risk, as one of the main aspects that separates a professional jazz musician from an amateur jazz musician.

I can play jazz music and hold-my-own but only in a fairly structured manner. Even my soloing is constrained (but has vastly improved since joining this forum as it relates to being more "free" and risk taking). I'm still years away from being able to play with almost complete freedom etc..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    As for your disclaimer; I view being able to play with almost complete freedom and always being at the edge of taking changes\risk, as one of the main aspects that separates a professional jazz musician from an amateur jazz musician.

I can play jazz music and hold-my-own but only in a fairly structured manner. Even my soloing is constrained (but has vastly improved since joining this forum as it relates to being more "free" and risk taking). I'm still years away from being able to play with almost complete freedom etc..
    For me professionals are those who earn money with it.
    Amateurs are those who don't.

Benedetto Marcello's original editions say 'nobile Veneziano, dilettante di contrapunto'.
    That meant only that he did not earn with it.
    Dilettante is from dilettare (to please)
    Amateur is from 'amare' (to love)).
    Doing something for love.

Today professional often means some skills level. It is understandable too. Because when one earns with it one should have stable and often versatile skills.
    But there are quite a lot of skilful renowned professionals who (with all respect for them) do not take chances or risk,and do not seem free to me.
    Even those who seem to have their own original approach and individuality.

Another thing... you see... freedom and taking risks actually mean exactly that one goes beyond what he can do, schedule, plan in advance.
    What else taking risks could be actually?

One risks only when one does not feel totally secure.
    And the freedom is first of all not an ability to do things freely with a familiar paradigm but taking resposibilty for your choice when entering the unknown.

Usually these qualities are seen from the very beginning, skills are important eventually but even beginner kid usually shows that approach if he has it.