The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 56

User Info Menu

Can you be a jazz musician without playing jazz?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Can you be a jazz musician without playing jazz?
    A Jazz musician is still a Jazz musician while not playing Jazz music (if using Jazz musicianship to do so).
    However, I have heard some self called Jazz musicians that didn't even play Jazz with Jazz musicianship.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    A Jazz musician is still a Jazz musician while not playing Jazz music (if using Jazz musicianship to do so).
    However, I have heard some self called Jazz musicians that didn't even play Jazz with Jazz musicianship.
    If a jazz musician needs to record a rock solo in the studio and does it brilliantly, how do you know it was recorded by a jazz musician?
    I mean, you don't know who recorded it.

User Info Menu

1 - I'm primarily an improviser.

2 - I know the tunes.

3 - I use complex harmony.

There's a great big and long spanning world of jazz, but this is what it all has in common.

User Info Menu

If a jazz musician improvises in a forest and no one is around to hear him, does he make a sound?
    Last edited by Litterick; 03-18-2023 at 06:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    If a jazz musician improvises in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does he make a sound?
    Animals have brilliant hearing.

User Info Menu

You can take the boy out of jazz but you can’t take the jazz out of the boy

User Info Menu

If a jazz musician improvises in a forest and no one is around to hear him, does he make a sound?
    And is there any difference between that and the standard background gig?

User Info Menu

How bout 'If a jazz musician improvises in a basement and no one is around to hear him, is it still jazz?'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    How bout 'If a jazz musician improvises in a basement and no one is around to hear him, is it still jazz?'
    The person singing to himself while spinning a potting wheel 2500 years ago had no idea that someone someday would try to scan, digitize, and demodulate the scratches left on the pot surface from his shaping tools to see if his singing could be recovered and played back...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    And is there any difference between that and the standard background gig?
    Now there are guitar amps with rechargeable batteries.

User Info Menu

Now that is quite deep :-)

User Info Menu

That would be the same as playing in a restaurant or art museum while no one listens. If anyone listens, it isn't jazz.

User Info Menu

As it has been mentioned in this thread, can anyone post an example of a jazzbo convincingly rocking out?

Just curious.

User Info Menu

I played a gig with a rock band a long time ago...45 years ago...
    It was very loud...but ok.Simple playing without combinations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    As it has been mentioned in this thread, can anyone post an example of a jazzbo convincingly rocking out?

Just curious.
    Kreisberg was a fusionista before he went mainstream jazz. Robben Ford did lots of rock session work & played fusion with Miles; his fusion guitar work on the Yellowjackets' first disc shines. Of course, Larry Carlton can play jazz with the best of them and his rock pedigree is well-known. Barney Kessell was on many a Wrecking Crew session. And Jon Herington was a Wes clone before he decided to do something that could pay the bills.
    UPDATE: I have no doubt that Matteo Mancuso can nail this :-)
    Last edited by starjasmine; 03-19-2023 at 02:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Kreisberg was a fusionista before he went mainstream jazz. Robben Ford did lots of rock session work & played fusion with Miles; his fusion guitar work on the Yellowjackets' first disc shines. Of course, Larry Carlton can play jazz with the best of them and his rock pedigree is well-known. Barney Kessell was on many a Wrecking Crew session. And Jon Herington was a Wes clone before he decided to do something that could pay the bills.
    I love jazz musicians they are very talented people.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    You can take the boy out of jazz but you can’t take the jazz out of the boy
    As far as instrument playing goes I didn't pick jazz. It picked me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    UPDATE: I have no doubt that Matteo Mancuso can nail this :-)
    It would be interesting to see a direct link to a clip of Kreisberg. Robben Ford is probably a genre unto himself and I've never heard Carlton playing straight ahead - perhaps I should.

So, as far as rocking out, maybe Matteo would be the guy.....(is he a bona fide jazzbo ?)

User Info Menu

It would be interesting to see a direct link to a clip of Kreisberg. Robben Ford is probably a genre unto himself and I've never heard Carlton playing straight ahead - perhaps I should.

So, as far as rocking out, maybe Matteo would be the guy.....(is he a bona fide jazzbo ?)
    Yes, I love Carlton's work with Steely Dan, Michael Franks, etc..., but on his own albums, the closest I've heard him come to playing straight ahead was on "All Blues", which wasn't straight ahead IMHO.
    Steely Dan didn't use many straight ahead jazz guitar players, except for Jon Herrington, who started out in Indiana as a great straight ahead player, but then had a mid-life existential 'jazz crisis' and devoted all his time to learning other styles of music, and Denny Dias, who studied with Billy Bauer (I know three guys who studied with him, and it wasn't a pleasant experience, according to them).
    Frank Vignola played on one tune, and Kurt Rosenwinkel did too, but if you listen closely to him, he's not exactly SA either.

User Info Menu

Scof was interested in rock in his youth.
    You can definitely hear elements of this style in his playing
    Last edited by kris; 03-20-2023 at 05:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Now there are guitar amps with rechargeable batteries.
    Better off with a proper lithium ion camping battery and then you can use whatever amp you like (provide it's not a marshal stack or something )

User Info Menu

Just curious.
    Check out all the rock sessions Barney Kessel did.

Drink Scotch whisky, all night long.

But more seriously, play just what I feel. No, on any instrument I don't always play exactly what's in my ear...I can't do a Les McCann or George Benson, or any of the others who use this tool, "scat while playing," not with perfect honesty and accuracy, and this may sound odd, but I feel as a jazz musician, I can hang musicially with just about anything.

A whole lot of things I don't want to, and many I probably just couldn't, but c'mon, man! Who says a funk band can't play rock? Cheezits, who says a jazz player can't play some country, or anything else folk-music derived? Even legit music.

I don't call Alabama the Crimson Tide, but then they don't call me nothing either. Just a thing.

As a jazz musician, first I look at the purse. And that purse is not too full these days. So, I just play. No, not for play play. If I don't get paid, I don't play. Unfortunately, I don't play too much now! Ain't bringing my gear out to play for some comped beers and maybe get a few phone numbers to play with later! Maybe that's an arrogant jazz musician talking, but I just call myself a regular musician...who happens to be arrogant and would rather play to nobody or practice my craft than be shorted by some bar owner or whatever.

User Info Menu

Being a jazz musician is constant work on your jazz skills, daily practice and development, recording albums in the studio, club and festival concerts, listening to records ... etc.
    That's what you did and do.