The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Larry Goldings strikes again:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's Larry Goldings?

The sad thing is when he plays the lame voicings and progressions, that's basically 90% of rock/pop music.

User Info Menu

Not Goldings

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Not Goldings
    Yes it is, Larry Goldings likes to joke around and Hans Groiner is a comic figure he created, a deadly earnest Austrian music professor who likes to ‘correct’ Thelonious Monk’s music, for example.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Not Goldings

It's him, the "other" side of Larry Goldings .... I just saw him in Mainz with Bill Steward and Bernstein and had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard about his comments and elaborations/fabulations
    in between tunes. The man has many talents and has surely worked hard to bring them to fruition, it's a total success !

PS : That wig reminds me of Richard Clayderman

User Info Menu

Hah totally fell for it, well played! I dismissed it immediately when I saw the wig and heard the accent. In thinking about it reminds me of Jonathan and Darlene, Jo Stafford and her husband the great arranger Paul Weston's alter egos. Check em out if you don't know them, brilliant...Jo (one of my absolute favorite singers) would intentionally sing out of tune, very difficult feat for a good singer.

I assume everyone has seen this from a few years ago. Hilarious:

User Info Menu

Finally some theory I can get with.

User Info Menu

Larry has even done some live performances in character as Hans Groiner. There was a set at Smalls some years ago on YouTube. On his recent solo tour in the UK and Europe, he brought the wig as there was one booker in Europe who specifically wanted a Groiner appearance!

He's done some very funny videos in the last couple of years. I love this one.

User Info Menu

Larry Goldings can be funny. Likes to crack a lot of jokes bw songs at concerts.

But watching a professional musician do comedy is about as rewarding to me as watching Adam Sandler sing. I guess the difference is I also hate Sandler's comedy while I consider Goldings a great musician.

User Info Menu

You wouldn’t have liked Dizzy Gillespie or James Moody then...

User Info Menu

Or Clark Terry (Mumbles).

A lot of jazz musicians like humour, I think. (It probably helps them survive...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Larry Goldings can be funny. Likes to crack a lot of jokes bw songs at concerts.

But watching a professional musician do comedy is about as rewarding to me as watching Adam Sandler sing. I guess the difference is I also hate Sandler's comedy while I consider Goldings a great musician.
    Billy Connolly is a rare case of a professional musician who transitioned into comedy. One night while working in a folk duo The Humblebums (alongside Gerry Rafferty who later hit the big time with the songs Stuck In The Middle With You and Baker St), Billy broke a string and told a joke or two to pass the time as he restrung his instrument. It gained such a good reaction that he reintroduced the comedic section on successive nights until it grew and eventually became his main gig.

User Info Menu

Goldings is brilliant. I have known of Hans for awhile and shared it widely, as well as the Close Encounters shtick. Great timing and physical expression. Hopefully, all of you Goldings fans know of the "Johnny Bowtie Barstow" album, which is so clever, especially listening to Goldings chase the vocalist around, as he drops measures, modulates, speeds up, etc. Big fan!

User Info Menu

Bowtie is...unique. I break that album out every Christmas and lose a few more friends each time.

I highly recommend "Danny Boy". Basically, civilization crumbles over the course of the tune, but Johnny commits and keeps the brogue going until the (very) bitter end.
    "Blue Skies" is pretty great, too, but "Mack the Knife" demonstrates that nobody swings like Bowtie. BTW - the guitar player on that intro is a guy named Bernstein.

User Info Menu

The Charleston lesson is priceless!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by unknownguitarplayer
    Bowtie is...unique. I break that album out every Christmas and lose a few more friends each time.

I highly recommend "Danny Boy". Basically, civilization crumbles over the course of the tune, but Johnny commits and keeps the brogue going until the (very) bitter end.
    "Blue Skies" is pretty great, too, but "Mack the Knife" demonstrates that nobody swings like Bowtie. BTW - the guitar player on that intro is a guy named Bernstein.

I asked Peter about Bowtie last time I saw him and he would NOT cop to the real artist... All he would say, was "Yeah, Bowtie... He is, uh, really special!"