The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A friend of mine emailed me this this morning. He said it was very good.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A long time ago I caught Bill in the Catskills in a guitar trio w a guitarist friend of mine and Eddie Diehl. He regailed us w funny stories on breaks, none of which were in his Jazz Anecdotes book.
    That was a fun night.

User Info Menu

it is on jazzwax.com

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    A long time ago I caught Bill in the Catskills in a guitar trio w a guitarist friend of mine and Eddie Diehl. He regailed us w funny stories on breaks, none of which were in his Jazz Anecdotes book.
    That was a fun night.
    I'm still trying to figure out who that big guy playing the guitar was in the picture of Bill in the Teddy Charles Trio.
    It obviously wasn't Raney, who was on a lot of Teddy Charles' records.
    I enjoyed listening to the young guitar players Bill played with at the end of the video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I'm still trying to figure out who that big guy playing the guitar was in the picture of Bill in the Teddy Charles Trio.
    It obviously wasn't Raney, who was on a lot of Teddy Charles' records.
    I enjoyed listening to the young guitar players Bill played with at the end of the video.
    Where in the video

Where in the video
    24:30 to 24:40.
    I hooked it up to my 55" TV when I first saw it, and he looked like a big guy, but now on my 20" monitor, he doesn't look so big..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    24:30 to 24:40.
    I hooked it up to my 55" TV when I first saw it, and he looked like a big guy, but now on my 20" monitor, he doesn't look so big..
    The only guitarist besides Raney that Charles used in the early 50s I'm aware of is some cat named Don Roberts though I know nothing about him.

The only guitarist besides Raney that Charles used in the early 50s I'm aware of is some cat named Don Roberts though I know nothing about him.
    Yeah, that's who it is, thanks!
    Teddy Charles put out an album in 52 for Prestige called "Teddy Cohen and his Trio." That was Charles' name before he changed it.
    It was re-issued on an album called New Directions, along with a few other things with Raney and Hall Overton.

It's not worth listening to. They tried to imitate the Norvo Trio, but poor arrangements, and Roberts was no Tal.

User Info Menu

Yes, Ron Roberts according to this article by Bill himself: The Band Room | Local 802 AFM

I started playing the bass in 1950, and in 1952 I was working sporadically with the Teddy Charles trio, with Don Roberts on guitar. Don left for a better paying job, and we were able to get Jimmy Raney to replace him. Jimmy had been playing with the Stan Getz quintet, but Stan had made a trip to the West Coast by himself, and so Jimmy was available for the summer.