The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is a lot of fun:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My daughter is a wonderful young musician (17yo) and regularly scores out video game and anime music on Musescore. She likes current pop, but video game music is definitely her jam. Video game music is definitely going to be much more prevalent and mainstream in all styles, not just jazz.

User Info Menu

That's awesome! My daughter recently sent me a video of music associated with water in computer games, and a couple of my old colleagues got name-checked.

Back in the early 80s, I wrote a few games. In those days you had to enter the notes as hexadecimal numbers. If I remember, the computer this ran on had three voices. I found the melody for Blow The Man Down and added my own bass line in what I intended to be the style of Geddy Lee. Luckily I stuck with programming rather than composing!

User Info Menu

I love playing tunes from games that were impactful to me when I was young. The changes in a lot of these compositions are also very fun to improvise over. Here's a couple of recordings of tunes from games I've done in the past:

User Info Menu

My high school students fall into three categories-- those who just listen to the radio, those who only listen to Chicago scene drill music, and those who discover nearly all of their music through video games and anime. This last category is definitely the "biggest ears" of the crowd, and they are into some really diverse and interesting stuff.

I still hate video games, but they certainly influence young ears, and often for the better.

User Info Menu

I played Pong once.